HELP! Looking for housing in Puerto Plata!

fatturtle

Sep 8, 2011
My boyfriend and I are wanting to move to Puerto Plata in January 2012 for 6-12+ months, but are haveing trouble finding the right housing for us. We are looking for a 1-2 bedroom villa that includes water, 24hr electric, and internet thats fully furnished. It must be in a safe area and the beach and town must be in walking distance. We have looked on craigslist and have found a few places, but nothing quite meeting our requirements. We have also googled looking for places but everything we have been finding is really expensive or doesn't offer long term rental.

Is there anyone we can talk to to help us out finding some housing? We were thinking about talking to a real estate person there but we don't think they would have anything in our price range.

We think that around $400us is a good price a month, but were not really sure what a good price is for what we are looking for.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Given your list of requirements, I would doubt that you will find what you want at that price. I have a two bedroom apartment, furnished, with water and electricity (occasional blackouts) included and I pay almost that. My internet is not included. It is on the outskirts of Puerto Plata, so I have to include transportation costs.

You do know, don't you, that in Puerto Plata itself the only beach is Long Beach? If you went to Costambar, there is a beach there and a small-town feel. However, I think rents there are higher.

You are looking for a villa which will be much more expensive.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Given your extensive requirements, which limit you geographically, and 24 hour electricity [not happening without an inverter], 400 US a month seems impossible!

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I am in Costambar and the apartment complex I am staying offers one bedroom, nice pool and internet for $400. The landlord only really speaks Spanish but his places are nice. However in Costambar the electricity is not reliable so the inverter kicks in immediately. When the inverter comes on then everything works except for the a/c. Lately we have been without true electricity only about 6 hours in a 24 hour period each time like 3 hours a piece but during that time the inverter works so we have the fans going. We walk to the beach everyday as it is literally a 5 minute walk away. Some people love Costambar some people don't. It is a little away from Puerto Plata city like a 7 minute drive but I like it. However I also have my own transportation. If you want his number PM me and I will send it to you. Good luck.