Questions about cost of living

tendeafears

Sep 9, 2011
Hey there,
I'm an American thinking about moving to DR for a few months. My Ecuadorian cousin is living in Santo Domingo until March. Since I'm kind of in between things in my life right now with no apartment lease or real job I figure it's a good opportunity to move down there, learn Spanish (I've got Puerto Rican cousins, too, and I'm from California, so I think it's necessary), explore a new culture and get some healthy perspective.
My cousin has a two bedroom apartment and I wouldn't have to pay any costs of rent, maid, utilities, tv/internet because her work pays for all of that, so all of the numbers I've seen on here and other websites about cost of living don't really apply because they include rent, etc.
Basically I would just have to pay for food, alcohol, cigarettes, and any other entertainment costs. I definitely wouldn't be living as frugally as I could because money goes a lot farther down there than where I'm from. My cousin likes to spend money and go out so we would probably go out to eat 3-4 times a week, and go out drinking on the weekends (Except one weekend each month she goes to Haiti for work). Maybe go to the beach and stay at a decent-to-nice place every one or two months.
Edit: Also, I would probably take some sort of Spanish classes to speed up the process.

What I'm asking is, about how long would RD$80,000 (~$2200 USD) last me, living like this?

Another question: I think I would want to stay for more than the 60 day tourist visa. I'm thinking about not even looking for a job down there because most places would want me to stay more than 3-5 months. I do some work for my friend's website which I can do from anywhere so I would have a small income, and it would be nice to not have to work down there. If I applied for an extension on my tourist visa, what are the chances of it being approved if I'm just hanging out? It may look like I'm just bumming around not doing anything and I don't know how strict they are.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. My cousin has been in the DR since March and she absolutely loves it, and I love Latin America. I'm really excited about this possibly happening, DR seems amazing! (Even found a flight from SFO>SDQ for $200!)

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As far as the visa is concerned, don't worry about it. You'll just pay a little at the airport when you leave, it's not a lot, you can find the schedule here on DR1 in several places. Probably well under $100. They don't care where you were or what you were doing.

Just be careful about car insurance issues after the tourist card expires.

Sounds like a dream come true, enjoy!

AE

tendeafears

Sep 9, 2011
Awesome, thanks! I'm not planning on getting a car, I think I will just use taxis and maybe the bus.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Actually, the problem is that the things where the money goes farther here are on the things that you are NOT paying for like the rent and the maid.

The actual cost of going OUT,, restaurants, etc.. are gonna be perhaps even pricier than you are used to

of course, if you are a female.. which I assume you are, you probably will be bought a lot of drinks by guys ... so that will cut down on expenses.

the way to do just do it is to figure out how long you want to stay, divide your money into portions and spend it wisely

because, honestly, you can spend $2200 in a WEEK here.

so no one can really advise you

enjoy and welcome!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What I'm asking is, about how long would RD$80,000 (~$2200 USD) last me, living like this?

Not long, 2 months tops! You can live a bit cheaper but that would mean living like you live here. Eat out once a week, out drinking and partying once a week, quiet night down the colmado mid week, cinema once a week. Use publicos to get around. Splash out on a real nice restaurant once a month etc etc. RD$80,000 is not much, probably what people bring for a 2 week vacation, maybe between 2, maybe go home with a little change if lucky.

tendeafears

Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, I understand that going out is pricier than you'd think. That was what I encountered in Ecuador. But since I live in San Francisco I don't think it will be more expensive than what I'm used to. I'm used to thing being absurdly expensive.
Good advice though, thanks!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
You might be surprised at the costs here once you get into things. Several things in this country, gasoline most obviously, are substantially more expensive than living in the US. However, I have learned that if you truly want to live like a Dominican then living here is inexpensive. The problem is that I'm American and like my light bulbs, fuel consumption, restaurants, nightlife, name brand/fresh groceries and air conditioning. So...for that...I could live in Miami or New York a heck of a lot less expensively.

But the Dominican Republic is so wonderful, the people are so genuine and nice, that I happily fork over the higher costs so they allow me to live in this paradise!

Aug 19, 2004
IMO and from my experience you can have a great time in the DR without the need to spend large sums of money. If you wnat to "explore a new culture and get some healthy perspective." you won't do that by going to expensive locations - a Chinese meal in Duarte or pica polla or a beer in colmado are equally valid activities and considerably cheaper. Enjoy your stay.

tendeafears

Sep 9, 2011
IMO and from my experience you can have a great time in the DR without the need to spend large sums of money. If you wnat to "explore a new culture and get some healthy perspective." you won't do that by going to expensive locations - a Chinese meal in Duarte or pica polla or a beer in colmado are equally valid activities and considerably cheaper. Enjoy your stay.

That's kind of how I live. I like to go out rather than eat at home but I'm cool with just grabbing a bite somewhere, not going to some fancy place. I figure most of the time I'll live pretty laid back and then go all out once in a while.
Thanks! That was helpful to know there's an in-between.