Marilyn

T

Tom

Marilyn:

It is unfortunate if you believe I am "attacking" you as I am not. I am "attacking" what I see as your short sighted "quick fix" solutions to a deep rooted problem.

You and all people, especially those with children want safe streets and criminals to be appropriately punished and kept from harming others, I do also. What I do not want is the loss of hard fought freedoms to achieve these goals. strange as it may sound, I value freedoms more than the false sense of security you may feel from a Police force that patrols, investigates and adjudicates. the long term result is Nazi Germany, Stalin's Russia, Trujillo's Dominican Republic, Bull Conner's Alabama.

There is a delicate balance between personal freedoms and safety in our streets, I don't see that balance in the DR for a long time

Read about Singapore sometime, absolutely no crime, but should you be caught chewing gum (They don't want gum messing up the sidewalks) you can be caned. The occasional thief is hanged, and I mean for theft of an orange. Is this what you really want, the person who is starving steals and orange and is put to death?

I don't know the answer, don't pretend to, but I have experienced more than my share of Law Enforcement, Military action (If we all agreed to adhere to Military standards there would be little crime, but I doubt you wish to spend you life saluting, being punished for minor infractions (Having your "gig line" crooked etc," but it works.

The more freedoms we have/want, the more opportunity for crime as freedoms must extend to all.

M

Marilyn

Tom

I understand your point of view and share many of your sentiments, I definitely don't favor martial law, no matter what I said before in the heat of the argument. I also know there's no quick fix to the problem, but we have to admit there is a problem and we need drastic measures. Let's hope we have "all" learned something, I certainly have.

S

Squat

Re: Tom

Whooaa ! sentenced to death in Singapore for thieving an orange... Maybe we should try it with the guys from the PRD !!!
Next white party congress would be empty !!!