Dominican women & police brutality

C

Clara

Boy those were the longest two threads I've seen. Guess we have strong feelings on those subjects. Many different and interesting opinions, but at the end people were repeating themselves.

We Dominicans say one should never discuss with a stranger about religion, politics and baseball. I am adding two new subjects. :eek:)

F

Frischi

Hey Clara,if you removed baseball from that statement and added
soccer,you would then be an Italian.

D

DR-VETERAN

if you can not discuss certain topics with a stranger than how can you get new and fresh information or validate your(dominican) point of view or learn something from the stranger?
ave struz syndrom = ignorance?

M

Marilyn

Dear DR Veteran:

Dear DR:

I started this thread with a concern for my safety and that of my children and and elderly mother. I have been insulted, called ignorant and my common sense has been questioned, to say the least. I have tried to answer every post, but it comes a moment when you get tired of arguing because some people don't realize that this is only an exchange of ideas, not a brain-washing session, so if you don't finally give up and say "you win", then you get insulted. Is that necessary? I noticed you did the right thing and retired early from the thread, but like a bad dream, it keeps coming back.

T

Tom

Who keeps bringing the subject up?

Marily

You are the only person I reacall saying "this is the end" That was about 6 messages ago.

Being called "ignorant" is not an insult, simply a statement that you do not have a grasp of the facts you are trying to discuss, not a remark of your general intelligence.

C

Clara

PMS?! :eek:)

Dear DR Veteran,

??Never discuss with a stranger about religion, politics or baseball?.

As a connoisseur of Dominicans as your nickname suggests you should know that this remark was uttered strictly tongue in cheek. Similar sayings exist all over the world, plenty people have been killed over arguments about politics, religion and _______ (fill in with national sport).

I kept getting the feeling that some of the participants, had they had the chance, would have already been grabbing others by the neck. I don?t think anyone here suffers from ?sindrome del avestruz?, on the contrary, most of us seem to be pretty outspoken. Don?t worry, we?ll find another subject over which we will quarrel again, and don?t worry, you?ll have the chance to smash other chairs on other people?s heads. No need for you to hit the ceiling.

I am kidding again, take it easy, grab a ?fria? and be happy. May the force be with you.

Clara

S

Squat

How can we stop talking about women ???

Hey guys ! What would life be if we couldn't talk about women ? And about politics ? And about money ?
I am not so much of a sports fan, so I can survive not speaking about baseball, but I love women !!! It's part of the fun, a big heart, mucho cari?o, and sometimes a little bitchin'...
I enjoy these heated topics in this message board ! It would be boring if it was all just a chitty-chatty-politically-carrect-stuff...
Anyway, I guess the Trujillo one might rise up... Just give it some time...

D

DR-VETERAN

Re: PMS?! :eek:)

well i do hope a force is with me and with you also.sorry if i misinterpreted/understood your message.you see with the electronic messengerservice you only get so much information over the counter.bodylanguage,voices and other vital information is missing in order to respond a 100% correct.
so no offense, see you later.

M

manny

IGNORANT PEOPLE..Speak The Truth !

Alot of people on this board cannot handle the truth...all they want to do is attack and become defensve as soon as you mention that the DR is a very scary place to visit - lots of crime and political problems. To stay away is the best and most secure way...To go is to take a risk. Come on people speak the truth and stop being so Igno....

T

Tom

Tourists have it good, citizens???

The DR is hardly a scary place to visit, I'm just not comfortable with the way the government treats it's citizens.

Tourists have nothing to worry about, people bend over backward to assure a good experience

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Tourists have it good, citizens???

That's right on the money. In fact, I'm often uncomfortable the way business owners treat the locals!

C

CES

Re: IGNORANT PEOPLE >>(Manny)

>>> "Alot of people on this board cannot handle the truth." <<<

Here Manny, handle this: "You are an idjeit."

>>> "... you mention that the DR is a very scary place to visit - lots of crime and political problems." <<<

How in the hell can you support such an ignorant statement?

. . . CES

D

DR-VETERAN

can you give some examples?

J

Jim Hinsch

See http://dr1.com/board/index.cgi?read=55030 (the "no change" issue) as a perfect example. But consider the electric and phone company and their treatment of customers. Then consider that throughout, people are judged by their color, their clothes, or as they say, "por la maleta que lleva". Some businesses have an arrogant attitude, where the customer is being done a favor for being given the opportunity to patronize the business.

R

Rafael

The return of Mw

So, ignorant one. How many times have you been to the Dominican Republic?