Debit card cloned

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Beware...I used my european debit card in a cash machine of Banreservas or Scotiabank (I tried both) below supermercado Bravo in Los Cacicazgos. Both cash machines couldn't give me any money, so I went home. Next day I check my bank account, 502 dollars taken out or paid in New York.

Went back to the cash machines at Bravo and saw that the Banreservas machine had a label with the old trick : "Si su tarjeta esta detenida pulse su pin TRES veces y oprime cancel, y llama al numero xxxxx". Obviously I hadnt fall for that (hadnt actually even seen that label the day before) but it confirms to me that my card most probably has been cloned at that cash machine (I hardly ever use that card, maybe once a month) and my pin had been checked out either by camera or someone near (I doubt the latter).

Anyway, be careful and cover the numeric pad when taking out money from a cash machine.

Last edited:

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
My offshore bank account gives me a text message and email each time even $1 comes out of it. Somewhat essential to ensure you can nip these types of issues in the bud...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Think about wiring money from Europe into an account in DR, then get cash from a teller.

Think about cashing personal checks at a cambio.

We stopped using ATMs after we almost lost $500 using a faulty machine that didn't give us any cash but had the money deducted from our bank account.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wire money to the Rd account - it convertys to pesos
I go to the bank to get the money/cash - or I cash a local check at the cambio
Or I cash a foreign check at the cambio

Rarely will I use the ATM... if so daylight during siesta, when possible.
The bank has a guard on duty 24/7