Direct TV Question

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Someone gave us three new-in-the-box Direct TV Receivers.

My question is - can these be used in the DR? They've never been activated, they have cards in them. If they CAN be used there, is this something that could be done there [the activation].

Or are these useless outside the US?

AE

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You have to activate them in the US. They wont allow you to do it overseas. Once the cards are activated then you can move them to wherever you want. There are 3 satellites for North America so hopefully you could pull one up in the Caribbean. Additionally you will need someone in DR to set up a dish and align to the radius where the satellite should be configured. They tell you on the Internet if you live in Florida or Puerto Rico how to do that alignment of the dish.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
(1) In order to get enough channel reception and if the receivers are Hi-Def you will need 2 or even 3 Dishes that are 6-8 Feet wide each. You will still not be able to get everything, due to the angle of reception. You can call Rafael at 809-860-5488. He set up mine a few years ago. You will have to activate them through an account in the states, and pay US$5 monthly for each as extentions. What city are you in?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AJL6767, our DR home is at Playa Najayo, about 45 minutes west of Santo Domingo. Where is Rafael located?

What can we expect to pay for the dishes?

AE

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Wouldn't it make more sense to go with something like Sky or Wind TV? It works out to less than $30US per month for the basic package. You could also just signup for Netflix movie streaming and get your movies off of there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
lisagauss, you may be right. Do Sky and Wind offer internet too? The Claro Banda Ancha that we usually use is terrible most of the time, to get anything resembling a decent connection I have to sit outside, away from the house. Forget downloading e-mails or using MagicJack, and I wouldn't even think about trying to watch a movie on Netflix. Getting satellite TV from there was our original plan, but when we were given these boxes we thought it might be cheaper.

Looks like they may be useless. Probably only worth it if we already used Direct TV in NJ.

AE

donP

Dec 14, 2008
TV and Internet via Satellite

Many people here use an FTA receiver and get more than 300 channels via a private server. The receiver has to be connected to the internet though.

For people in remote areas a reliable internet connection via satellite is a good solution (US provider). Speeds depend on the plan chosen and start at 60$/month.

Both services need a dish (6 ft.) of their own and require a clear view (more or less) to the west.

donP