Boca de Yuma :(

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Has anyone been lately? Surprisingly, this was my first trip to Boca and having heard so much about their fresh fish, I took a trip out with my gf and my dog last weekend.

Very unfortunately, the shores around Boca de Yuma were littered with trash. There was so much trash that you could see it floating down the river and being deposited on the banks. Our waiter mentioned to us that much of the trash comes from Higuey and is washed out to sea with the river. He said the recent hurricane had brought more.

It was also recommended to me, by a friend, that we hire a boat to take us to a secluded, lovely beach not far from town. I love any place that can be descriped as secluded, virgin, off-the-beaten path.

After a short 15 minute boat ride the captain dropped all three of us off at the beach. Was it secluded? Yes. Was it lovely? No. The beach resembled a garbage dump. There was trash strewn everywhere with broken bottles, diapers, wrappers, cans, etc, etc. I wanted to leave the moment we were dropped off but we made the best of it and waded in the water for an hour before returning

This has been one of my few, truly, negative experiences while traveling in the DR. My question is: Has anyone visited Boca de Yuma in years or months past? Has trash always been a problem or is this recent?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Did the beach have like three little keys or rocks in front of it? I am just trying to dig up some pic's in my PC. If yes, I visited it several times and it was clean.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
What a shame!

I have been there a few times over the last few years, my husband actually proposed to me on the beach you mentioned, but there was not a piece of litter there at that time...what 3 years ago. There was however garbage in the cove near the large bar on the main stretch, but by the sounds of it not as much as you have mentioned. I do think many beautiful spots in the country could be much improved if the locals took care of them better. we often take day trips with all our employees to Macao beach of Boca de Yuma and if it wasnt for me following them around with a black garbage bag they would quite happily leave it looking like a landfill site! It really annoys me when we go to Macao all the glass bottles smashed everywhere, the children cant be left to run around bare foot thats for sure!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Saturday is National Beach Cleanup Day. Organize some friends, get some garbage bags, gloves, and a team and get out there and clean up...Start in Higuey, people. Tell your friends there to clean up the riverbanks.

HB