Help in bringing car to DR from US

M

Marilyn

This is my story:

Five years ago I bought a slightly used 95 Mercury Mystique with the intention of taking it with me to DR when I moved there. Time passed and finally this year I will be able to move in July. Problem? now my car (which was garaged for almost 3 years) is too old, the new law says a car cannot be more than five years old to bring it to DR. OK, let's say I sell the car (for less than 25% of the money I invested on it) and buy a later model, the catch is that this car will not qualify for the exemption because I haven't had it for one year. It's a catch 22, can't bring the one I have, but if I buy new one will end up losing the money I invested on the old one, plus paying full duties on the new one unless I wait another year. Can anyone help me or tell me what to do?

T

Tom

Marilyn

From everything I have read/been told, the import duties on cars is so high that you will be better off purchasing the car in the DR.

Unless I recall incorrectly, your Mystique will be subject to duty equal to 100% of the cars value, plus transportation costs

Tom

N

Natasha

You know, I had been thinking of bringing my old Volvo to the DR (13 year old 760 with 148,000 miles) since we are probably going to buy another one of these cars at some point. Anyway, I am glad you brought up that new rule because I was not aware of it. Even if we could bring it, what Tom writes is what I have been told also. So, even bringing a relatively new car seems like a big hassle. You might be better off buying a car down there.

Regards,
Natasha

H

Henry

Hi Marilyn

Bringing a car here seems to be a BIG hassle! I do not know whether they have changed the law away from the 5 year limit (at least it was on discussion!), but I recomend you to buy a car over here, with the slowdown right now a lot of people are happy if they can sell their car!

Henry

M

Marilyn

Natasha,

I spoke to the people at the Consulate here and they tell me that the president is thinking of giving a "grace period" of 6 months, but only for cars '93 and above,which is good for me, but they don't say when this grace period will go into effect. If I here anything I'll post it for those who might be in the same situation.

D

Duarte

Marylin,

I would recommend you bite the bulet and sell that car and either buy one in the DR or buy a different car in the US to take home with you. Buy a japanese car such as Toyota or Honda. American cars pay a lot more in customs and if you try to sell it nobody will buy it from you, or they'll want to buy it for next to nothing. In addition it is a lot harder to get parts and repairs will cost you more. I'm in the same boat as you I bought a Honda Accord to take to the DR after I had it for a year, and now I will not be able to take it, as it is a 93 model. My brother is a used car salesman in the DR, and they're mad as hell, because of this law. Their business is almost going broke. All of this is because the association of new car dealers gave some money to the PRD campaign or to somebody in the government to pass this law. Before this you could find very clean, used cars for around $100,000 pesos. I don't know how it has affected it, but I know that prices will definitely go up for both new and used cars.

M

Marilyn

You're right. I already put a "for sale" sign on the car. Thanks

S

SUN_RA

Mi jija, compra tu carro en tu pais porque si no te comen los robasolos en la aduana. cuidate !!!