Who was Dr. Rosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I remember when I first came to El Batey, Sosua, the first street I turn into was Dr. Rosen st. Since then, I wonder who this great man was and why this street was name after him. I thought that maybe he was an American doctor that came to Sosua long time ago and provided his services to the locals. Anyway, thanks to Sosua News I found who Dr. Rosen was and I would like to share it with you all. Please click the link below and read up:

Sos?a-News

Last edited by a moderator:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Who is Dman?

I can not help but see some of the same types of postings that are very much the same with one that has almost departed and at the same time another that has entered.

Anastacio? Have you been reborn again or is this your twin?

Not again..... PLEASE. Twin or not. Please not another.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I can not help but see some of the same types of postings that are very much the same with one that has almost departed and at the same time another that has entered.

Anastacio? Have you been reborn again or is this your twin?

Not again..... PLEASE. Twin or not. Please not another.

Just enjoy the reading, dude! I think it is a great article on regards to Dr. Rosen.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks "dude". Wait a sec..... where did I just see this "dude". Ya. In another thread a few minutes posted after this post. "dude".

Last edited:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I remember when I first came to El Batey, Sosua, the first street I turn into was Dr. Rosen st. Since then, I wonder who this great man was and why this street was name after him. I thought that maybe he was an American doctor that came to Sosua long time ago and provided his services to the locals. Anyway, thanks to Sosua News I found who Dr. Rosen was and I would like to share it with you all. Please click the link below and read up:

Sos?a-News

Probably one of the prominent Jews invited to settle in DR by Trujillo to lighten up the population after being expropriated from Europe during World War II.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Joseph Rosen was born late 19th century in Tsarist Russia. He was a follower of the social democratic Mensheviks. For this he was exiled to Siberia but he managed to escape to Germany. In Heidelberg he studied chemistry. Then retreated to the USA where he studied agriculture. He graduated with a thesis on the agricultural chemicals. In the '20s Dr. Rosen went to the Soviet Union again where he tried to save the Jewish community in Ukraine from starvation. From the USA he imported agricultural machinery, seeds and capital. One of his motivations was that he wanted to show that Jews could perform not only for the merchandise, but that they could also make a valuable contribution in agriculture and livestock. But soon after, Rosen was deported because Stalin distrusted the foreign aid. Back in the USA Dr. Rosen, along with Dr. James N. Rosenberg founded the 'Domican Republic Settlement Association' (DORCA). They negotiated with the dictator Trujillo on the establishment of 100,000 Jewish refugees.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
09-11_dr_rosen.jpg

The man himself.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Joseph Rosen was born late 19th century in Tsarist Russia. He was a follower of the social democratic Mensheviks. For this he was exiled to Siberia but he managed to escape to Germany. In Heidelberg he studied chemistry. Then retreated to the USA where he studied agriculture. He graduated with a thesis on the agricultural chemicals. In the '20s Dr. Rosen went to the Soviet Union again where he tried to save the Jewish community in Ukraine from starvation. From the USA he imported agricultural machinery, seeds and capital. One of his motivations was that he wanted to show that Jews could perform not only for the merchandise, but that they could also make a valuable contribution in agriculture and livestock. But soon after, Rosen was deported because Stalin distrusted the foreign aid. Back in the USA Dr. Rosen, along with Dr. James N. Rosenberg founded the 'Domican Republic Settlement Association' (DORCA). They negotiated with the dictator Trujillo on the establishment of 100,000 Jewish refugees.
Common courtesy is to give attribution to source which you copied and pasted. BTW, at least copy and paste the whole story. Although they negotiated the immigration of 100,000 refugees, only 8,000 eventually were able to travel to Sosua.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Belmont, I thought only 600 actually arrived in Sosua??

AE
Woops, a typo, meant to type 800. I've seen articles with numbers anywhere from 500 to 800. As some were arriving, some were already leaving and immigrating elsewhere.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Woops, a typo, meant to type 800. I've seen articles with numbers anywhere from 500 to 800. As some were arriving, some were already leaving and immigrating elsewhere.

Well, this is what I found:

The Dominican Republic's Haven
for Jewish Refugees

By Lauren Levy

In 1938, when no other nation would welcome Jewish refugees, Rafael Trujillo, the Dominican Republic strongman, offered to take in 100,000. Between 1940 and 1945, 5,000 Dominican visas were issued, but only 645 Jews actually made their way to the Dominican Republic. The refugees settled in the tiny seacoast town of Sosua, then just jungle land, that Trujillo had established with funding provided by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Well, this is what I found:

The Dominican Republic's Haven
for Jewish Refugees

By Lauren Levy

In 1938, when no other nation would welcome Jewish refugees, Rafael Trujillo, the Dominican Republic strongman, offered to take in 100,000. Between 1940 and 1945, 5,000 Dominican visas were issued, but only 645 Jews actually made their way to the Dominican Republic. The refugees settled in the tiny seacoast town of Sosua, then just jungle land, that Trujillo had established with funding provided by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee.

Today, only about 30 of the original Jewish families remain in Sosua. By the 1940's, most of the nearly 700 inhabitants had moved to either New York or Miami. Although no longer in the Dominican Republic, the Sosua Jews have maintained a tight-knit community. Until 1980, the town was still entirely Jewish; however, with the opening of the international Puerto Plata airport four miles west of Sosua, the village has turned into a major beach resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.