Disturbance around Jarabacoa, whats going on?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So, Friday I am lying in bed I hear one gunshot towards the centre of Jarabacoa, around 230am, now I am down the valley a little and so could have been anywhere as the noise does bounce around on these hills. Last night I had been in bed around 20 minutes and I heard 2 shots that sounded like they were coming from central town also, that would be 2am. Now I have by no means been a long timer living on the hill here but the sounds travel well here (if I go down to town on the bike I can be heard from the house all the way into the centre), we can hear everything and I can say I have never heard gunshots until this last weekend. SO what is going on, it is very strange, and quite upsetting as although leaving, I had Jarabacoa down as the most genuine and best town in the country (and I have traveled and lived almost everywhere over the years), such a shame if the clusterfkcu crew go to Jarabacoa.
Any inside knowledge on this disturbance?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No insider knowledge, but I've been here 3 1/2 years and gunshots are not uncommon...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Poaching, not uncommon at that time of the day and it is like you say, in those mountains you do no know where the sound really comes from. We did know as we have some Dominican friends living there all their lives and they know there is some poaching going on in the woods.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I?m currently staying in Jarabacoa about three blocks from the Central park and didn?t hear anything but dogs, roosters, and noisy motos. I?ve only heard gunshots at new years, and maybe two other times in 13 years. There are certainly are plenty of guns around though. CB, I?ll give you a call once we settle down over here at the school.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Unless folks are shooting farm animals I doubt it's hunting, because there is nothing to hunt...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There certainly is no poaching going on. What is more than likely happening is that people are firing off a few rounds if they think they hear something on their property. When I moved here over 5 years ago this was very common and happened on a daily basis. Soon after, the police cracked down and increased the tax on the bullets so that has all but quelled it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There certainly is no poaching going on.
Poaching? :cheeky: For what?

Chip said:
What is more than likely happening is that people are firing off a few rounds if they think they hear something on their property.
Or some good ol' boys shooting some rounds in the air post-last call...

Josemexicano

Apr 24, 2011
U in d.r think its all fun and paradise. Its normal cities just like anywhere else n the world with normal people. Hate. And gangs.. But when one person gets shot people think the whole town bad. Look at nyc. Over 30 people got murder in one weekend. Thats two days. Not including the robbers , car jackings and the people that got killed n no one knows.. N u.gotv other cities worse. Chicago, philly, detriot, los angel, miami, baltimore n many more

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
first of all the police did not raise the taxes on bullets, Leonel banned the import, so now if you buy rounds they are expensive because they are old stock or are black market. Llego Papa!!!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
When I lived over there, we heard regular gunshots. When we asked about them, the people who own the horses around la Confluencia confirmed us that they did some hunting on guina fowls at night. We even got one once in a while for free...

If you claim you never heard gunshots at night, check your hear aids and buy some new batteries for them

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well my hearing isn't as good as it used to be. Working around aircraft for 30 plus years will do that. I can assure you I have fired many different kinds of handguns, rifles, machine guns...etc so I think I know the sound of a gun. Perhaps I sleep the sleep of angels, with no guilty thoughts. I'm sure that a gunshot in confluensa area can't be heard from by part of town, except if there was no other noise.