This is a bomb!! In tomorrow's Diario Libre

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The head of the Central Electoral Board, Roberto Rosario, has stated that 70% of the weddings that take place in hotels are shams, are celebrated by persons that are not official representatives of the JCE and are never registered.

Talk about a bombshell!

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The head of the Central Electoral Board, Roberto Rosario, has stated that 70% of the weddings that take place in hotels are shams, are celebrated by persons that are not official representatives of the JCE and are never registered.

Talk about a bombshell!

HB

That is a bombshell. This thread and others on same subject will be full of posts by tomorrow night.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So does that mean that when people go to the judge to get the marriage certificate for say immigration purposes the certificate is a a fake too?

How does one check to be sure that these "ministers" are official representatives of the JCE ?.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Talk about a bombshell!

HB

Leave it to the DR "journalists" to make a soup out of water and salt...

What the JCE official said was that indeed close to 70% of weddings that take place in hotels and such, are in reality just "ceremonial" weddings, as many gay and lesbians included seek a great moment for their unions.

Only about 1/3 of weddings taking place in those places are carried out by true officials of the law and religious faiths.

Most couples seek to renew their vows and gay/lesbians to carry out what would look like official to a many but isn't...

There goes your "bomb"... More like a 50 cent popper going off in the park...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
So does that mean that when people go to the judge to get the marriage certificate for say immigration purposes the certificate is a a fake too?

How does one check to be sure that these "ministers" are official representatives of the JCE ?.

There are two types of ceremonies when it comes to weddings in the hotels! One is the package as detail above and the other the real McCoy with the officials and all the whistles...

The man and woman type is the only one allowed to be official, as the DR still won't recognize same sex marriages as of yet that I know of...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rosario said that thousands of persons had filed complaints in 2007 and 2008 because they could not get their certificates, and embassies from all over were complaining. In order to avoid what he called "international problems' apparently the JCE either sent out thousands of certificates or had officials at the embassies hand them out. It was not that clear in the Diario Libre. I think that Rosario is also asking people to "renew vows" at the hotels in order to get certificates, but the why and wherefore are not talked about. This seems to be very important because of the consequences (a) to real wedding businesses and (b) to people who thought they were married and are not.

This could blow up a lot bigger than a 50? firecracker.

The sham weddings are on-going apparently.

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Rosario said that thousands of persons had filed complaints in 2007 and 2008 because they could not get their certificates, and embassies from all over were complaining. In order to avoid what he called "international problems' apparently the JCE either sent out thousands of certificates or had officials at the embassies hand them out. It was not that clear in the Diario Libre. I think that Rosario is also asking people to "renew vows" at the hotels in order to get certificates, but the why and wherefore are not talked about. This seems to be very important because of the consequences (a) to real wedding businesses and (b) to people who thought they were married and are not.

This could blow up a lot bigger than a 50? firecracker.

The sham weddings are on-going apparently.

HB

That's a whole different monster altogether... It's well known the JCE wants hotels to pay an "extra" fee for the services rendered by fully legit officials that carry out weddings via civil and religious unions contracted by the Hotel associations. That's a fight they lost in the courts and in the international stage, therefore why they were forced to provide the certifications for the legit weddings that were carried out, instead of the vows renewals and boy/boy, girl/girl ones...

The JCE was pushing the sector to hand over extra fees the law does not mandates for the weddings that were carried out according to the same by dully officials when required. The problem aroused when the amount of non legit weddings and renewals was confirmed as over 2/3 of all the ceremonies conducted and not needing to pay the regular fees as the legit ones (which again were about 1/3 of all the weddings carried out).

The JCE wants the non legit to pay the same fees as the legit ones, even when the same certifications are not issued for the non legit ones. That's to say for vows renewals or those involving same sex partners...

Again there's nothing here to make a wiser pop than a 50 cent firecracker

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pichardo, stop being such an apologist for this government! This is an important issue for anyone who was married in a hotel, whether or not they are really married.
I realize that Rosario is not the nicest wine in the rack, that he craves more and more power and money, but it seems that there is a lot more here than meets the eye.

There could be incredible consequences if there were ever a court case, for example, in a divorce where it turns out that the couple were never really married in the first place because the wedding at the "XXXX" Hotel and Spa in B?varo, was a sham, and never registered. I, for one, would sue the axx off of that hotel chain, for millions, and I would win! There is a lot more here than "looks".

But, what do I care, I was married by a priest in Hatico, Mao, so I'm cool..

HB

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Whaaaaaaaaaaaattttt!!!! We have Wedding in July 2012 AI in PUNTA Cana~

~So when I first read the post I thought WTF:eek:gre: Do you know how many weddings these resorts have on a yearly basis????Thousandsssssssssssssssssss!!! ~And I'm talking the Girl-Guy Type~

~So your telling us that you go through all the RED TAPE paperwork and excessive COST to make sure all the documents are LEGAL and translated properly, get marriage licensed in Home Country, go to DR, take your vows in front of what you are thinking is a Legal Judge; only to find out when you get home a await the Certificates its only to find out that there are NONE and you are not legally married????

Below I have cut and pasted the Dominican Republic guidelines for paperwork for a Legalized Wedding.....or so they say:

Wedding instructions

Please follow these instructions very carefully to avoid any delay on the process of your documents.

 Valid Passport*
 Original Birth Certificate* *
 Single Status Affidavit and Divorce Act**. (original and notarized by a Notary Public or a Commissioner of oaths when send it by mail) find a sample of the Single Status affidavit below.
 A minimum of two witnesses and a maximum of 8 (2 of them must not be blood relative) aged 18 years or over. The remaining 6 witnesses could be members of your family as stipulated on the provision No. 659 of the current legal law in the Dominican Republic. Foreignness witnesses need to hold a valid passport. If you do no provide the witnesses the hotel will provide them for free.
 You should be at the hotel 48 hours before the date of the wedding if no possible, please contact your wedding planner to help you in this matter. This rule has been place by the hotels in order to have your wedding well organized. It is no mandatory by the law.
 Translation into Spanish of the Single Status Affidavit, Birth Certificate, Divorce Act and Death Certificate if widowed ( It may be done at the Dominican Republic General Consulate for a fee)
 Legalization of the Single Status Affidavit, Birth Certificate and Divorce Act by the Dominican Republic General Consulate.
 If you are able to sign your Single Status Affidavit before a Dominican Consular representative at this Dominican Republic General Consulate, you do not need to notarize them with a Canadian notary. Please book for an appointment just by calling the Consul of the Dominican Republic in Montreal Raquel Jacobo de Cabral at (514) 991-4909 or (514) 284-5455

* To legalize your documents at this Dominican Republic General Consulate, a photocopy of your passport will be adequate; you do no have to send the original one. The birth certificate does not need to have your parent's name on it since you are including the name of your parents in your single status declaration. However, you must take all your original documents to the hotel in the Dominican Republic.

** Translated into Spanish and legalized by this Dominican Official Consulate.

Legal Fees in U$ funds:
The cost to legalize a document is 100.00U$ per document
The cost to translate a document is 40U$ per document

The cost of your package is as follow:
40$x4 to translate both Birth Certificate and two single status affidavit = 160$US
100$x4 to legalize two single status affidavit and two birth certificates= 400.00$US.
If both of you are single never married U$560.00. If one of you is divorced an additional U$140 is added to make a total of U$700.00 and if both of you are divorced you have to add U$280 to make a total of U$840.00.

NOTICE:
It is important for you to know that once your documents are legalized by us, they will be valid for three (3) consecutive months from the legalization date. A divorce bride cannot say ?I do? until 10 months have passed after her official divorce, except her intended husband is the same person she has divorced. If this situation applies to you, please let us know as there may be new legal
changes on this matter.

It could take five to seven business days for the documents to be completed if send them by mail.

Please contact Mrs. Yadira Henriquez de Cabral and Mrs. Pilar Asencio from our wedding and business Department. They are willing to help you organize and smooth the progress of your wedding preparations. Contact them at the phone number: (514) 991-4909 (514) 284-5455 or email: weddinginfo@consuldrmtl.com

Send your documents to: The General Consulate of the Dominican Republic in Montreal
1470 Peel Street Suite 366 Montreal, Quebec H3A 1T1
Attention to Yadira Henriquez de Cabral

Please include a pre-paid envelope to return your documents by mail.
Payment must be done by a certified cheque or money order in US funds payable to the Dominican Republic General Consulate, if you are coming in person you may want to pay cash in U$ funds.

Dominican Republic General Consulate in Montreal
1470 Peel St. Suite 263, Montreal, Quebec
H3A 1T1

STATUTORY DECLARATION OF SINGLE STATUS
(Retype the whole document with your own information; this is just a sample)

CANADA Province of _________
IN THE MATTER OF: the marriage between [full name of both parties*]

I, [Full Name as in passport] of the City of __________in the Province of ________ DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT:

1. I am [full name*], born as [name as it appears in Birth Certificate] on [date of birth] in [place of birth].
2. I am a Canadian citizen with passport No. _______ who resides at [full address].
3. I intend to marry [full name*] in the [Hotel Name] in [City], Dominican Republic during the week of [approximately date of marriage].
4. I am single and have never been married before [If divorced, please put: I am divorced as per divorce certificate No. _______ as of [date of divorce]. During my previous matrimony I was known as [name as appears on divorce certificate]. To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no legal impediment or other lawful cause to prevent me from getting married.
5. I am currently employed as a [occupation].
6. The names of my parents are _______________, Mother and ________________, Father.

AND, I make this Solemn Declaration faithfully believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath and by virtue of the Canada Evidence Act and the Dominican Republics laws

DECLARED before me at [City] ____________, province of______________this ___day of the month of_____________, year________

Signature________________
Full name

Name and signature of the Notary Public if the documents will be sent by mail.
If the document will be signed in person at this General Consulate you have to put the name of the Consul Raquel Jacobo de Cabral

~So all this work, and COST!! Yeah that's per PAGE of translation and per PAGE for Copies!!!!!

So if this is in fact the case, here is what I would propose to anyone traveling to the DR to get what they are calling is Legal Marriage~ DONT.....quitely get married by a Justice of Peace before you travel...no one has to know and when you get there JUST renew your vows....

Well that is if you want to ACTUALLY be legally married~:lick: If not the go to DR and just Go through the motions....

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Hell, I hope my Dominican divorces are legit. I may still be married to three woman. Or maybe, the second and third marriages would be void as I was still married to the first. I'm so confused.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, stop being such an apologist for this government! This is an important issue for anyone who was married in a hotel, whether or not they are really married.
I realize that Rosario is not the nicest wine in the rack, that he craves more and more power and money, but it seems that there is a lot more here than meets the eye.

There could be incredible consequences if there were ever a court case, for example, in a divorce where it turns out that the couple were never really married in the first place because the wedding at the "XXXX" Hotel and Spa in B?varo, was a sham, and never registered. I, for one, would sue the axx off of that hotel chain, for millions, and I would win! There is a lot more here than "looks".

But, what do I care, I was married by a priest in Hatico, Mao, so I'm cool..

HB

???????????????????????????

Where exactly am I excusing the fraudulent acts from the JCE trying to impose an extra layer of fees on the weddings carried out by Hotels??? Last I checked the JCE is a dependent of the gov, or no?

There's no sham in anything, since all the legit weddings had to be issued a certificate to that effect, which they tried to block and force upon the extra fees to the hotel association to no avail. They tried the strong arm way, they lost both in the local courts and the international arena. Now they try to scare people by providing ambiguous statements to the "smart" press we have here...

Like I said, there are two packages to pick for weddings, one is the ceremonial and the other the real McCoy. Which the clients pick is dependent on what their needs or legal standpoint reflects upon.

A 50 cent firecracker popping if it ever was to make loud noise...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
~So when I first read the post I thought WTF:eek:gre: Do you know how many weddings these resorts have on a yearly basis????Thousandsssssssssssssssssss!!! ~And I'm talking the Girl-Guy Type~

~So your telling us that you go through all the RED TAPE paperwork and excessive COST to make sure all the documents are LEGAL and translated properly, get marriage licensed in Home Country, go to DR, take your vows in front of what you are thinking is a Legal Judge; only to find out when you get home a await the Certificates its only to find out that there are NONE and you are not legally married????

Below I have cut and pasted the Dominican Republic guidelines for paperwork for a Legalized Wedding.....or so they say:

Wedding instructions

Please follow these instructions very carefully to avoid any delay on the process of your documents.

 Valid Passport*
 Original Birth Certificate* *
 Single Status Affidavit and Divorce Act**. (original and notarized by a Notary Public or a Commissioner of oaths when send it by mail) find a sample of the Single Status affidavit below.
 A minimum of two witnesses and a maximum of 8 (2 of them must not be blood relative) aged 18 years or over. The remaining 6 witnesses could be members of your family as stipulated on the provision No. 659 of the current legal law in the Dominican Republic. Foreignness witnesses need to hold a valid passport. If you do no provide the witnesses the hotel will provide them for free.
 You should be at the hotel 48 hours before the date of the wedding if no possible, please contact your wedding planner to help you in this matter. This rule has been place by the hotels in order to have your wedding well organized. It is no mandatory by the law.
 Translation into Spanish of the Single Status Affidavit, Birth Certificate, Divorce Act and Death Certificate if widowed ( It may be done at the Dominican Republic General Consulate for a fee)
 Legalization of the Single Status Affidavit, Birth Certificate and Divorce Act by the Dominican Republic General Consulate.
 If you are able to sign your Single Status Affidavit before a Dominican Consular representative at this Dominican Republic General Consulate, you do not need to notarize them with a Canadian notary. Please book for an appointment just by calling the Consul of the Dominican Republic in Montreal Raquel Jacobo de Cabral at (514) 991-4909 or (514) 284-5455

* To legalize your documents at this Dominican Republic General Consulate, a photocopy of your passport will be adequate; you do no have to send the original one. The birth certificate does not need to have your parent's name on it since you are including the name of your parents in your single status declaration. However, you must take all your original documents to the hotel in the Dominican Republic.

** Translated into Spanish and legalized by this Dominican Official Consulate.

Legal Fees in U$ funds:
The cost to legalize a document is 100.00U$ per document
The cost to translate a document is 40U$ per document

The cost of your package is as follow:
40$x4 to translate both Birth Certificate and two single status affidavit = 160$US
100$x4 to legalize two single status affidavit and two birth certificates= 400.00$US.
If both of you are single never married U$560.00. If one of you is divorced an additional U$140 is added to make a total of U$700.00 and if both of you are divorced you have to add U$280 to make a total of U$840.00.

NOTICE:
It is important for you to know that once your documents are legalized by us, they will be valid for three (3) consecutive months from the legalization date. A divorce bride cannot say “I do” until 10 months have passed after her official divorce, except her intended husband is the same person she has divorced. If this situation applies to you, please let us know as there may be new legal
changes on this matter.

It could take five to seven business days for the documents to be completed if send them by mail.

Please contact Mrs. Yadira Henriquez de Cabral and Mrs. Pilar Asencio from our wedding and business Department. They are willing to help you organize and smooth the progress of your wedding preparations. Contact them at the phone number: (514) 991-4909 (514) 284-5455 or email: weddinginfo@consuldrmtl.com

Send your documents to: The General Consulate of the Dominican Republic in Montreal
1470 Peel Street Suite 366 Montreal, Quebec H3A 1T1
Attention to Yadira Henriquez de Cabral

Please include a pre-paid envelope to return your documents by mail.
Payment must be done by a certified cheque or money order in US funds payable to the Dominican Republic General Consulate, if you are coming in person you may want to pay cash in U$ funds.

Dominican Republic General Consulate in Montreal
1470 Peel St. Suite 263, Montreal, Quebec
H3A 1T1

STATUTORY DECLARATION OF SINGLE STATUS
(Retype the whole document with your own information; this is just a sample)

CANADA Province of _________
IN THE MATTER OF: the marriage between [full name of both parties*]

I, [Full Name as in passport] of the City of __________in the Province of ________ DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT:

1. I am [full name*], born as [name as it appears in Birth Certificate] on [date of birth] in [place of birth].
2. I am a Canadian citizen with passport No. _______ who resides at [full address].
3. I intend to marry [full name*] in the [Hotel Name] in [City], Dominican Republic during the week of [approximately date of marriage].
4. I am single and have never been married before [If divorced, please put: I am divorced as per divorce certificate No. _______ as of [date of divorce]. During my previous matrimony I was known as [name as appears on divorce certificate]. To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no legal impediment or other lawful cause to prevent me from getting married.
5. I am currently employed as a [occupation].
6. The names of my parents are _______________, Mother and ________________, Father.

AND, I make this Solemn Declaration faithfully believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath and by virtue of the Canada Evidence Act and the Dominican Republics laws

DECLARED before me at [City] ____________, province of______________this ___day of the month of_____________, year________

Signature________________
Full name

Name and signature of the Notary Public if the documents will be sent by mail.
If the document will be signed in person at this General Consulate you have to put the name of the Consul Raquel Jacobo de Cabral

~So all this work, and COST!! Yeah that's per PAGE of translation and per PAGE for Copies!!!!!

So if this is in fact the case, here is what I would propose to anyone traveling to the DR to get what they are calling is Legal Marriage~ DONT.....quitely get married by a Justice of Peace before you travel...no one has to know and when you get there JUST renew your vows....

Well that is if you want to ACTUALLY be legally married~:lick: If not the go to DR and just Go through the motions....

The "vows renewal" for legit ends is NOT considered a marriage in the DR, only a simulated one on the basis of an existent certified marriage! The JCE wants the hotels to offer the "vows renewal" as what they are considered in the DR, not as a marriage and pay an extra layer of fees to be certified by THEM. Again this is all about the JCE wanting cash into the 70% of biz carried out by the hotels, not about legal issues. All marriages carried out by the hotels under the law of the DR as legit (read no vows renewals, boy/boy, girl/girl) were one time blocked from getting certificates from the JCE to force the game upon the hotels, they got burned as the hotels not only proved their cased in local courts but the international stage as well in terms of law observance.

En consecuencia, el presidente de la JCE dijo que plante? a los hoteleros sacar de circulaci?n los casos de bodas simuladas de las que hasta el momento se tienen conocimiento, y establecer en la ley que se pueda hacer una renovaci?n de votos a un precio inferior al de un matrimonio. "La renovaci?n puede ser una figura establecida, que es lo que hacen en M?xico y otros sitios, pero como renovaci?n, no como matrimonio", explic? Rosario.

Inform? que le propuso al presidente de la Asociaci?n de Hoteles y Proyectos Tur?sticos de Hig?ey, Ernesto Veloz, y al representante en Am?rica Latina de la cadena Bah?a Pr?ncipe, la firma de un convenio en los pr?ximos meses para esas renovaciones.

Rosario destac? que cuando un hotel no reporta este tipo de uni?n, se genera p?rdida a la JCE, que recibe RD$3.5 millones al mes por los matrimonios en los polos tur?sticos. Seg?n la reforma tarifaria realizada en diciembre pasado, el enlace de extranjeros fuera de la Oficial?a se elev? de RD$15 mil a RD$20 mil (US$534).

Asonahores responde (the hotels)

El vicepresidente de la Asociaci?n Nacional de Hoteles y Restaurantes (Asonahores), Arturo Villanueva, dijo desconocer la situaci?n de las bodas simuladas. Mas bien, cuestion? el porqu? el presidente de la JCE no les dio a conocer el informe en una reuni?n formal, la que han estado solicitando desde que se aplic? el alza de la tarifa de las bodas.

DL trat? de contactar a Ernesto Veloz, pero no fue posible, atendiendo, adem?s, que en la regi?n Este se celebra alrededor del 90% de las bodas de extranjeros, seg?n datos de Asonahores.

This is nothing more than extortion from a Dominican gov entity to private biz in public, as it's the norm here...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So you are reducing this explosive issue to a feud between Rosario and Asonahores? An interesting spin on the issues. Perhaps, but the underlying harm done to the marriage industry is serious and could expose some people and corporations to lots of legal expenses.

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Corruption is the name of the game and what you see is the shameless way it's done in the DR, open in the public media and supported by them as well with their "smart" journalism...

Why is Nuria's voice missing from an open public extortion case involving a gov institution???