Colombian Food

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Yesterday, I stopped by Rancho Paisa at Plaza Friusa 2nd floor above Pala Pizza - 809.552.1895

Nice menu, good food with typical eats from Colombia. Took a couple of pics with the cell so excuse the poor quality. I understand they have been at a couple other locations but this is my first time visiting.

Rancho-Paisa.jpg

Bandeja-Paisa.jpg

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Well, without a better explanation I wonder why this food is worth to mention? The pictures are not very inviting...

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
If you're not familiar with Colombian Food, the dish pictured is called the Bandeja Paisa. It is the Dominican version of the Bandera Dominicana x 2. There is rice, beans, pork, sausage, chopped meat, fried egg, plantain, arepa. All of this is put on the same, large plate and I don't think it is meant to be neat looking.

If you don't find this image appetizing, that's fine, but what you find unappetizing, someone else might find very appetizing.

Personally, I thought the food was great.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A Colombian restaurant opened recently on our corner. If we go there to eat, which typically Colombian dish would you recommend we order??

AE

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Maybe you should post some better pictures then.

I mentioned the photos were of poor quality because of my cell phone in the original post.

A Colombian restaurant opened recently on our corner. If we go there to eat, which typically Colombian dish would you recommend we order??AE

You can't go wrong with the Bandeja Paisa as it is the most typical dish and a shmorgesboard of different foods. I also love Colombian empanadas, ba?uelos and tamales.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do Colombians actually cook food with a variety of spices unlike Dominicans? I have had Peruvian style food a few times in a California restaurant and it was good, Venezuelan food on Margarita Island that was decent , but never sampled Colombian food.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
they have a lot of variety in their food, never have seen so many different fruits and vegetables as in Colombia, also very good meat and fish, hundreds of different soups,

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The best place on the planet to eat Bandeja Paisa is at the Plaza Minorista market in Medellin.
Cost is around US$5 with a coke and hard to finish, as they give you so much.

AZB liked it :)

Bandeja.jpg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Do Colombians actually cook food with a variety of spices unlike Dominicans? I have had Peruvian style food a few times in a California restaurant and it was good, Venezuelan food on Margarita Island that was decent , but never sampled Colombian food.

Yes, but I didn't find hot spices that popular.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Colombian Platter- also known as "Mountain Platter"

Colombian Platter (Bandeja Monta?era):
Red beans cooked with pork
White rice
Ground meat
Plantain "Patacones (tostones) or ripe plantain (Pl?tanos maduros)"
Pork rind "Chicharr?n"
Fried eggs
Chorizo
Blood sausage/pudding
Criollo sauce (Hogao)
Arepa
Avocado

images

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Do Colombians actually cook food with a variety of spices unlike Dominicans?

Not really- it depends... The food in Colombia is very diverse between regions. While some Colombians love "Dominican style (seasoning)" others find it undesirable- they say the the spices overwhelm/kills the taste of what you are having. One thing for sure, they both like salt.