DR Universities: Poor teachers should not be allowed to keep teaching.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
My fiancee, Rosa, 26, worked 7 years in the Zona Franca to attend UTESA Mao and now UTESA Santiago. During that time she also helped out other family members. She had to stop working due to lung problems. In fact, a doctor said if she wanted to live a healthy life, she would have to find employment elsewhere.

Knowing how hard Rosa worked for her schooling, I was disgusted when I heard about one of her teachers. This teacher in Mao 1.) Does not teach, instead mainly talks about politics and sex 2.) Rubs/Touches female students. 3.) Charges fees for tests that are not given 4.) Gives A's to women that put up with his actions 5.) Gives C's to students who speak out, as Rosa did. 6.) Literally robs students of the education they deserve.

This teacher is chronically bad. There are a few students who transferred to Santiago due to him, and from many I have heard the same complaints as Rosa has expressed. This is not an isolated, one time incident, but a pattern of everyday conduct and "teaching." Many students are afraid to speak out and some just go with the flow. I want students to learn they have a right to the access to good teachers, to demand that they have this, and to learn they can accomplish things in a group.

Rosa talked to many people at the school and complained, but nothing happened. I have some ideas as to how I can go about expelling this teacher, however would like to hear from others, especially lawyers and teachers from the US and Dominican Republic. I would also like support from as many people as possible. Let me know if you would be willing to help. Let's do our part to help the hard working students of this country. thanks, tom

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Send me a PM with complete information and I will talk to the owner.or his wife.

Be well,

HB

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
I just graduated with a MD here. What you are describing is absolutely par. Any university she goes to will have this going on.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Perfectly described, Latitude.
If you think that's bad, look into the primary and secondary schools. They absolutely do not deserve their salaries, let alone the 4% everyone talks about which, if spent, will be spent with 'palas' for physical plant that never materializes.

When I came here in 1980 there were truant officers that kept the kids in school. Today, most of the boys drop out by 14. One small building in desperate need of repair taught the little ones in the morning, the older kids (needed at home for chores in the a.m.) in the afternoon, and at night people into their 60s walked miles to get adult education ? proudly wearing their khaki/blue uniforms though they were very poor.

The literacy rate was, I think, in the high 80s %. Calculators were not needed to make change and kids were respectful. Now schools appear to be all social hours and "teachers' meetings", and as you say, hanky-panky.

Political appointment at every level has destroyed a once admirable, though lacking resources, education system.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Perfectly described, Latitude.
If you think that's bad, look into the primary and secondary schools. They absolutely do not deserve their salaries, let alone the 4% everyone talks about which, if spent, will be spent with 'palas' for physical plant that never materializes.

When I came here in 1980 there were truant officers that kept the kids in school. Today, most of the boys drop out by 14. One small building in desperate need of repair taught the little ones in the morning, the older kids (needed at home for chores in the a.m.) in the afternoon, and at night people into their 60s walked miles to get adult education ? proudly wearing their khaki/blue uniforms though they were very poor.

The literacy rate was, I think, in the high 80s %. Calculators were not needed to make change and kids were respectful. Now schools appear to be all social hours and "teachers' meetings", and as you say, hanky-panky.

Political appointment at every level has destroyed a once admirable, though lacking resources, education system.

those were the days before gringo came in droves. self improvement was a must. now, 30 years later, why bother go to school, and break your brains with books. gringo will make everyone feel all right. sanky will be taken care of, and all the girls will get Western Unions all week long. go to the internet cafe. nobody is using the internet for research of anything. it is all facebook, youtube, and camera sessions. no wonder Belkis can?t spell her name correctly when she hands her number to 72 year old Carl from Santa Monica, who, two weeks after meeting her, has bought her,and her sister, a passola. who needs education?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well all I can say is that with a population of 9 million and growing, we are gonna need a LOT more gringo/as .. and a LOT more of them with more than social security!! Any idea of how to recruit them? We clearly are not doing a good job on the Mars/Venus Board.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the fact that there might not be enough of them to actually go around does not stop people from thinking that the next available one will be theirs. it is like people who buy lotto tickets every day, believing that they will be the next recipient of the million peso payout.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Sadly, the problem presented by the OP occurs more often than one would think at the university level. I taught at one campus of the University of Puerto Rico until I retired three years ago, and there was the same problem. One tenured professor would talk about anything except the material to be covered in class. Sometimes, he would step out of the classroom to get a coffee in the cafeteria and would forget to return to his class. The students would take his briefcase to the department office and inform his director what had just happened. This man clearly exhibited some type of mental affliction and everyone from the Chancellor to the janitors knew that his classes were a joke and, in addition, all students got an "A" in class. However, not one student ever came forward with a written complaint, so nothing was ever done. My niece was in his class and would tell me of his occurences, yet, she too, when asked, refused to file a written complaint. He is still there. In the case of the OP, this professor is clearly a fraud and knowingly taking advantage of his students unwillingness to file charges against him to higher authorities.