Buying Eletronics in USA to Delivery in DR. Is there limits ? or restriction ?

carlosbra

Aug 1, 2011
I'd like to buy some eletronics via web (for example from Amazon web site).
Is there restrictions ? or limits , What is the maximum to spend ?

And Do I have to pay some taxs in DR to receive the Equipments ?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Also courier service available is EPS, at EPS • Express Parcel Service, Int, you can sign up online, great service, they send emails when your package arrives in Miami, when it arrives here in DR and when it clears customs and is ready for pickup..

Rates are presently about RD$208.00 per pound, there is a price break at around 10 or 12 pounds.

Rember Invioce value under USD200.00 pays no taxes, over USD200.00 pays 16% to aid the DR government pay for gasoline in all the SUV's.......

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have an account with Business Mail and Cargo. I order stuff on the internet and its send to address in Doral, FL. I get things usually about a week after its ordered. They notify you via email when items arrive in Miami and then in Puerto Plata. There is a charge for freight, fuel surchage, and other stuff. There is no duty unless its over $200. Works well, freight charges are approx. 1/3rd of the value of the product, but its based on weight I think.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
First problem is to get it here.

what Problem??
there's no problem to ship Goodies to teh isle, big and small, such is done on daily bases.
the shipping Services on the Island work quiet well and very quick.
when I order Engine parts or Fishing tackle in the USA I get it deliverd no later than the 2nd next day, often the next day, and to the office/homedoor etc.
they run good services, and Yes, such has it's price, but it works fine when needed.

to the OP:
if you bring Electronics like a Wii or such, bring it out of it's original package, as it would be a used thingy, and nobody will bother. I brought taht way many Car Video Systems and computers and Playconsoles, of course not in large numbers on the same Flight.
basically for everything New You bring in in your suitcase apply the same Import Taxes than if You would have shipped it, the Limit is all Valued below $200.- is Import tax Extempted, all over $200.- pays the Import Tax.
if You ship Goodies the $200.- Limit includes thye Shipping Costs.

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd like to buy some eletronics via web (for example from Amazon web site).
Is there restrictions ? or limits , What is the maximum to spend ?

And Do I have to pay some taxs in DR to receive the Equipments ?

I order a lot from Amazon. No taxes unless value is over US$200. No restriction on how much you can order,

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I recently brought in a 25" Flat Screen TV in my suitcase. The customs guy saw the back of it and asked me what it was.

I told him it was electr?nica. He asked how much it cost and I told him $80 US. He never even looked to see what it was, and I was on my way.

They don't check bags a lot, only when it is slow. But never take it in a box of any kind.

luvwtr

Oct 24, 2011
help shipping from california to sosua

Hi all
I want to send 40 in flat screen to my family who live outside of Cabarete from California. It's used. Any ideas for a cost effective way to send. Also, what documentation do I need to show it's value since it's used and similar TV is selling on ebay for about $400 so I know I will have to pay taxes, which is fine, I just don't want to pay too much in taxes.
thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi all
I want to send 40 in flat screen to my family who live outside of Cabarete from California. It's used. Any ideas for a cost effective way to send. Also, what documentation do I need to show it's value since it's used and similar TV is selling on ebay for about $400 so I know I will have to pay taxes, which is fine, I just don't want to pay too much in taxes.
thanks

You can ask a company like Montero shipping to take it from either Miami or NY and deliver it to your friends door. That means you will have to pay for it to be shipped to the east coast and then pay the shipping and duty to the DR. Probably NOT worth it, but they can quote you a firm price.

When I asked them about TVs recently, they told me that the customs duty will be based upon the size of the TV and not its value.

Feb 7, 2007
First problem is to get it here.

It's not a problem. There are zillion of companies that ship from Miami to DR (seems to be quite a profitable business) and average price is about 180 pesos per pound, with Vimenpaq/Transexpress, Picknsend, being below $150 average per pound.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/116021-updated-list-mail-services-ship-us-dr.html

You do not pay taxes for anything under US$200 with shipping (to Miami) included in calculation. So best bet to take advantage of free/inexpensive shipping options is shipping charges would bring value over US$200.

Also important to note: books are NOT TAXED, you can bring/ship US$2.000 worth of books and you do not pay ZIPPO on them as far as taxes or custom duties go. This does not apply to CD's/DVD's (but who would buy movies on DVD's nowadays anyway...bye bye DVDs, hello megaupload rapishare and fileserve!)

Feb 7, 2007
Hi all
thanks

Unless it really looks used and worn, they would consider it new...no documentation...they would consider it new. I would suggest you listing it on ebay, your folks buying it any paying by paypal, so they have receipts and ebay listings, and they could buy it for let's say US$300. They would pay 60% (56% to be exact) total import duties, luxury (selective) tax and ITBIS on it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought there is no duty on computers under DR-CAFTA.

But the 16% ITIBIS still applies on one over $200.