Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Citizenship?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Automatic Citizenship?

If a person is born in Haiti of foreign parents or one foreign parent are they automatically a citizen if Haiti?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagueroRD View Post
    If a person is born in Haiti of foreign parents or one foreign parent are they automatically a citizen if Haiti?
    No. Haiti: Constitution, 1987
    They can apply for naturalize citizenship after five years of residency

Post Thanks / Like

Ironic, isn't it, that they insist on becoming Dominican citizens just because they enter the world here?

Which is why the DR Constitution makes it clear. Unless you are here legally, foreigners born here are not citizens.

HB

Moderator DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    No. Haiti: Constitution, 1987
    They can apply for naturalize citizenship after five years of residency
    You didn't read Article 11: If at least one Haitian parent.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter got a Haitian passport immediately she was born and registered - in that situation she needed to be able to travel and that was the quickest method to acquire a passport/travel document.
    I was only ever there legally but was never a full blown resident with a Permis du Sojourn. The equivalent status in the D.R. would not have enabled her to get a Dominican passport without a Dominican parent.

You cannot hold dual nationality according to Haitian law - but my daughter holds both passports.
    So I guess I should rip up her Haitian passport but it does not expire for a few years. If I do renew her Haitian passport I would have to make a declaration that she holds no other passport - the timing means that her British passport will expire leaving me 3 months to answer all questions truthfully on her application form and fetch up with 2 passports again.

One of the first tasks for Haiti's new administration should be to change the rules over dual nationality - that would be good for Haiti's future for a number of reasons.

Having said all that - If you know the right people you can get a genuine passport for anybody for 150US$ - right from the passport office. But that is illegal and anyway, you really do not want to be messing around with that stuff.

This drivel does not answer the question about anchor babies - strangely it rarely comes up in conversation

6. Likes Squat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I was not quite precise.. I am having a sloppy brain morning. Yes, you are automatically a Haitian citizen if ONE parent. No, you do get automatic Haitian citizenship if you are born on Haitian soil. Jus Solis. BUT yes, you can apply for naturalization after five years .. which few people do since, as Pedro pointed out, the present constitution of Haiti does not allow for dual citizenship and Haitians are admitted in even fewer countries than Dominicans.

As for the dual citizenship issue, that has now been passed by two consecutive legislatures and so when passed by this current one, can be placed in the Constitution as an amendment... I am pretty sure.. but news from Haiti is always a bit garbled.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Ironic, isn't it, that they insist on becoming Dominican citizens just because they enter the world here?

Which is why the DR Constitution makes it clear. Unless you are here legally, foreigners born here are not citizens.

HB
    http://www.entreculturas.org/files/d...U.pdf?download

The issue that some have been pressing is that the Junto Electoral appears to be denying Dominican citizenship to the children of ANY Haitian mother, even if the father is Dominican. And now there are reports that cedulas that have been held for years are not being renewed but confiscated as having been issued "illegally".

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    http://www.entreculturas.org/files/d...U.pdf?download

The issue that some have been pressing is that the Junto Electoral appears to be denying Dominican citizenship to the children of ANY Haitian mother, even if the father is Dominican. And now there are reports that cedulas that have been held for years are not being renewed but confiscated as having been issued "illegally".
    The article that you posted doesn't say that the DR government is denying citizenship to children with a Haitian mother and a Dominican father!

Déborah tiene 13 años, nació en Santo Domingo y es hija de un dominicano y una haitiana.
    Su padre murió 9 meses después de su nacimiento.
    In this case Deborah's father died 9 months after her birth, I guess he was lazy and didn't bother to declare her as his daughter immediately after her birth! And when the mother, a Haitian citizen, went to declare her it was denied.

Deborah was registered as a Dominican citizen as per the article that you posted, because her mother got her "Cedula" and Resident Card, documents that she didn't bother to get, even though she entered the DR with a visa.

She didn't need her Dominican husband to get DR citizenship to her kids IF she would it had gotten her immigration papers in order from the beginning, as she entered the DR legally with a Visa.

Not even Dominican citizens can declare their children without a Cedula! Why we have to break the laws for Haitians? Especially Haitians that are already legal and don't bother to get their Cedula!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry.. perhaps the article did not say that. I only know that from interviewing hospital personel in Dajabon. They simply give the Libra Rosada paper to ANY Haitian mother, whether she has a cedula or not, whether the father is Dominican or not.. does not matter.

And what is clear is that the rules are uneven. being applied unevenly.

Stats were that even 15% of the Dominicans do not have papers. Do you have to come here to the Junta Electoral to get them or can the local Ayuntemto issue you everything you need?

The problem is that Haiti has been practically without a functioning state for the better part of thirty years.. And even what little it had was corrupt and operating only in Port Au Prince. You have to travel to Port Au Prince to get any sort of official papers.

So a very small portion of the Haitians have the needed papers to even begin the process to get legal here in the DR.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast