Somethings are changing for the good...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thousands of volunteers recently helped clean up 84 beaches around the country. Granted they have been doing this for a few years but nonetheless with what I see that is taught in the grade schools here with regard to taking care of the environment, I think in 20 years or less the overall cleanliness of this country will greatly improve similar to what happened in the States when I was growing up.

Miles de voluntarios se unen a limpieza de playas - List?n Diario Digital

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, I saw them cleaning up on the Malecon Puerto Plata yesterday morning. Seems some people actually do care :)

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Thousands of volunteers recently helped clean up 84 beaches around the country. Granted they have been doing this for a few years but nonetheless with what I see that is taught in the grade schools here with regard to taking care of the environment, I think in 20 years or less the overall cleanliness of this country will greatly improve similar to what happened in the States when I was growing up.

Miles de voluntarios se unen a limpieza de playas - List?n Diario Digital

They've been doing this for the past six years.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Isn't it amazing what education will do?
Der Fish

As I posted in post No. 4, they've been doing this clean up for the past six years, so does this mean that the education has been improving for the past six years? Just a question, is all.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Too Bad...........................................

TheY threw all the trash they cleaned up at the beach,................................

Out their car windows on their way home! :eek::eek::eek:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
well, I thinkg is a good thing. At the end, we all live in the DR and we should take action to make it a better place to live.

Jul 4, 2010
Hold the gush of 'Times They Are a-Changin' optimism. This was just a great PR campaign orchestrated by the government, sponsored by the Ministry of the Environment and associated organizations. Very easy to get kids to participate, being a great excuse to go to the beach with friends, and for free. Changes nothin'!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And what does jrmirador et al have to say about the kids that volunteer for the Un techo para mi pa?s program????

:cross-eye

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They've been doing this for the past six years.

I stated this in my post and it was stated in the article as well.

The point I hoped to make was that it would appear the movement would have momentum given the number of participants. I obviously think the fact that they have been teaching taking care of the environment in the grade schools for at least the last 5 years(as long as I've been here) is starting to show it's effects.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Olly",
I hear you can buy a "Sense-of-Humor" on "AMAZON"!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Olly",
I hear you can buy a "Sense-of-Humor" on "AMAZON"!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Not available to everyone.

Just select members

WW

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Every morning and evening I walk less then 200 yards from our home to our other property.

Every time I pick up garbage. Every time!

We are at the end of a dead end street with few others in the area but the few that live or work in the area have no problem tossing their garbage. The biggest offenders are a couple of expats that dump everywhere. Workers in the area with water and coke bottles. Domestic help cleaning the expats property and taking out the garbage tossing it on other property so their boss does not have to pay for a truck.

It took me a year to get my workers to: when you see garbage, pick it up and put it in the garbage can.

I just aquired another property that is well overgrown. You would not believe what I will have to have hauled away.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I give big kudos to those who go that extra mile to clean OUR beaches, BUT PLEASE visitors/tourists while at your AI DO NOT just throw your empty plastic cup where you like or drop your trash on the beach. I am sooooo disappointed in what I saw in Punta Cana this past week. Tourists/Visitors throwing empty cups, cigar butts, anywhere they like.While my family and I were at the beach we filled a plastic bag full of cups, butts, bottles etc....We have some of the most beautiful beaches, it is unbelievable how some have no respect for these areas.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Hold the gush of 'Times They Are a-Changin' optimism. This was just a great PR campaign orchestrated by the government, sponsored by the Ministry of the Environment and associated organizations. Very easy to get kids to participate, being a great excuse to go to the beach with friends, and for free. Changes nothin'!

Whatever, but my wife and 11 year old son would have a bone to pick with you after dedicating their Saturday in the River Yaque picking up all sorts of ****. They received no handouts and came home needing a good bath to clean off all the muck they were entrenched in.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I stated this in my post and it was stated in the article as well.

Chip don't take offence, but your post was a little vague, you only made mention of a few years. I however, wanted to make it crystal clear that this Community Sponsored event has been taking place for the past six years.

I participated during the third and fourth years of this event in PP. I did not read your link, so I'm not sure if it makes mention that certain local groups have been doing this for six years now.

Hope this clears things.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip don't take offence, but your post was a little vague, you only made mention of a few years. I however, wanted to make it crystal clear that this Community Sponsored event has been taking place for the past six years.

Compai, a few can be 6 you know. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's another example of good news that think all Dominicans like loud music. They just closed a bar recently here in Santiago for being too loud and probably playing after hours too. This one in fact only opened somewhat recently within a couple miles of my house and was really packed on the weekends.