Living on S.S.D.I.

Mikew

Sep 13, 2006
Is it OK to live in the DR while getting S.S.D.I. ?

Thanks for your input.

Mike

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Is it OK to live in the DR while getting S.S.D.I. ?

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Not too long ago, I was told by a friend that an Acquaintance (a person we both know) was asked for her passport at the SSDI.
They wanted to verify if she was out of the country and for how long. They were asking the Dominican lady to return money.
I have not followed up with this story. I think they are beginning to catch up on this and they are starting to crack down.

If one thinks about, it makes sense.. While on SSDI you are either an elderly or a disable person. Either way you have no business being out of the country for extended periods.

Research and make sure you understand the SSDI requirements.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm pretty sure one has to be in country to receive benefits, otherwise it's technical fraud.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Are you saying that one does not have to be in the USA to receive SSDI? If so, I seriously doubt it!

If you click on my link and answer the questions, you will get your answer. In my case, if I WERE on SSDI (I'm not) I would be able to collect it in the DR. It is dependent upon the citizenship of the recipient and on the country where the recipient will be living.

Furthermore, I know of someone who applied for SSDI at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo. If it were not possible to receive SSDI in the DR, I highly doubt that the Consulate would be accepting and forwarding applications for it.

Mikew

Sep 13, 2006
Yes I am on Permanent Disability benefit now. I know that thousands of people live in Mexico and Costa Rica on S.S.D.I. Sad to say, But I think that there are a lot of Americans that Can't afford to live in the U.S.A. anymore due to health or income.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know two people who are here with disabled benefits.. one is a vet, though. Think that all you have to do is keep a US bank account.

I agree that living here is a much easier choice financially but it does mean that you will forgo Medicaid which comes along with SSDI. Remember that one.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know two people who are here with disabled benefits.. one is a vet, though. Think that all you have to do is keep a US bank account.

I agree that living here is a much easier choice financially but it does mean that you will forgo Medicaid which comes along with SSDI. Remember that one.

Medicaid doesn't come with SSDI - Medicare does, but only after you're on SSDI for 24 months/2 yrs. You get Part A for free, you have to pay for Part B [about $100/US per month]. If you're not living in the US, don't take B, cheaper to get insurance in the DR.

AE