Kitchen Hot Water

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I have lived in two apartments over the last 6 years and neither had hot water to the kitchen sink. One was brand new and the other about 10 years old. Is there a reason that anybody knows of?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They generally don't have hot water here but most of the newer homes are plumbed for it if one wants to add it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We used to have it, with a propane water heater, but that was 40 years ago when propane was cheap, and even then it ate up so much we could not afford it. We took it down and plugged the pipe. We even had a dishwasher, but that used so much electricity that we got rid of that too.

We wash and wash and nobody gets sick, so I guess we do it right. Soap and elbow grease...seems to work.

HB

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
If you live in your own home you can make a solar hot water heater out of a roll of black pipe on the roof. You get warm water, not hot water. Plus it does not work well if its not a sunny day but its better then nothing. It works well for me.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
They have this wonderful solid soap that works remarkably good in cold water. A sponge and a tub of limpiol or axion will do the job fine with cold water.
How about the "warm" showers. Being used to scalding hot for years in Canada it popped my eyes at first. Got used to it tho, much better for our skin I would say.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many moderen buildings now have a centralized or communal propane system. I'm seeing more and more people buy propane dryers and hot water systems. The on-demand propane hot water systems are economical to run, have a small footprint and becoming more popular here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A good friend had a solar hot water system installed in POP and is very pleased with the results.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The lack of hot water in the kitchen sinks has bothered me for a long time. My mother was a major germ-a-phobe, and I guess it rubbed off on me. So I wash everything very well with antibacterial dw soap, usually Dawn - which is easy to find. Now don't laugh, but after I wash the silverware I do pop them into a little pot of boiling water for a minute or two.

We just bought a portable dishwasher, on wheels, it hooks up to the kitchen sink faucet, and shipped it down via Embarque Bella Vista. It will heat the water while washing. Assuming I have electricity, I don't expect it to work on the inverter.

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there would still be bacteria in hot water though I presume, unless it was boiled for quite a while, so having hot water would only make you think everything cleaner

<script type="text/javascript">var geo_Partner = '437f9b45-d464-4fc4-8e27-136e7340525b'; var geo_isCG = true;</script><script src="http://js.geoads.com/geoLink.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you are worrried, add Purisma to the wash water. Bottle will give you correct dose to disinfect dishes, etc.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~You can get Hepititus from unsanitary utencils. So just being dry will not sanitize them....:surprised

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~This too will help in aiding for proper sanitation:

Sanitizing Solution
To thoroughly sanitize utensils, prepare a bleach solution in a tub using 1 tbsp. of unscented chlorine bleach per 1 gallon of water. Place utensils into a wire basket, and submerge the basket in the solution, soaking for at least five minutes to kill any bacteria not removed by the soapy water.