Home title transfer

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sr. Guzman:

My friend Charles was legally divorced from his Dominican wife in 2007. Prior to the divorce they as a couple owned two houses which were recorded on the two titles in both their names. He would like to now have the title revised for only the house that he received as part of the divorce settlement.

His question is does his ex wife need to be involved in the revision of the title document that he received as part of the settlement?

Thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Of course, the divorce settlement should include the authorizations of what is to be done with any community property. If for some reason this has not been done and cannot be done now amicably, then the only option is to go to court.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Of course, the divorce settlement should include the authorizations of what is to be done with any community property. If for some reason this has not been done and cannot be done now amicably, then the only option is to go to court.

Thanks, please clarify the following.

I have seen the recorded divorce document(2007) and it appears the division of the property was spelled out clearly. If this is the case then would his ex wife still need to get involved with the revision of the title of the house that my friend received as part of the agreement?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Thanks, please clarify the following.

I have seen the recorded divorce document(2007) and it appears the division of the property was spelled out clearly. If this is the case then would his ex wife still need to get involved with the revision of the title of the house that my friend received as part of the agreement?

In principle, no. However, if the document does not describe precisely the property settlement, including cadastral designation, it might be difficult. I have seen this happen many times. I recommend any couple divorcing abroad, but owning Dominican property, to consult a Dominican attorney regarding the language to be included in the settlement agreement.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks very much. They were divorced here and the agreement spells out the division of goods clearly.