Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bank Accounts

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank Accounts

Can i open a joint bank account with a Dominican that we both would have equal access too ??

From the little that I understand if you open the account with dollars unless you convert it the balance remains in dollars and is redeemed in dollars upon withdrawal. is that accurate ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two different types of accounts - peso accounts and dollar accounts. I have both but they are both savings accounts. I do not know if you can have a checking account in dollars. Anyway. Your dollar account stays in dollars. The money is withdrawn in dollars. The bank can then convert your dollars to pesos (although they do not usually give you a great exchange rate)

As for a joint account with a Dominican, I have no first hand knowledge but would not see any problem with it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can open a joint account with anyone you want. What mountannie said is correct, and all checking accounts are in Pesos here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok a savings account is fine with me. So dollars in equals dollars out. Do you still acquire interest on your balance ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, but very little. I mean, it is not noticable. *but then again, I do not have much money!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. One final question any banks that do business in both the U.S. and the DR that I could wire/transfer funds and avoid a wire fee ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

~Not on this planet....you are always charged a fee to wire money PERIOD whether its US or Dominican....and more then likely you get hit twice with fees....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

are you all completely sure of this? I thought I heard that Bank of America now had a relationship with BHD? worth checking out,, anyway

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    are you all completely sure of this? I thought I heard that Bank of America now had a relationship with BHD? worth checking out,, anyway
    When I've transfered money from Canada it has gone the the Bank of American in Miami in to my BHD account.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

that was probably it.. but Derfish is also probably right about the wire transfer fees.

If the OP is going to be in the States and just wants to send money to a Dominican, he may want to check out remittances which are very common here and may be a cheaper way to go.

Remesas y Transferencias de Repblica Dominicana. Livio.com Portal Dominicano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast