What do you think the next 10 years will be like in the Dr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I was wondering what the next 10 years will be like in the Dr? Do you think it is a good place to invest in now , say in property for example? What other safe investments might there be? The economy there does seem to keep motoring along. Unemployment and the problems associated with it are big concern as is the influence of the drug business. Haiti is an issue with possible conflicts arising. Government is always a concern. I love the place and would like to think that things will get better , or at least stay the same. Any thoughts on this subject.?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well it is an island with a growing population so in theory real estate should become more valuable; but as you've there are potential for alls sorts of problems become worse. NARCO-STATE, REVOLUTION....ETC.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I see a lot of upside here, and cash is king.
Don't borrow money to invest here.
If you can't afford to lose it, don't use it.
If you have some to spare, be aware.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Who knows maybe Fernendez' campaign on international financial speculation will bring the DR to an international world market/ trading leader or the DR and haiti will unite to one nation lol. But one thing is certain (despite the common corruption/ drug cases) the dr is a growing economy in comparison to other developing regions.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Mystic Meg has left the building.......hopefully I will be ten years older

<script type="text/javascript">var geo_Partner = '437f9b45-d464-4fc4-8e27-136e7340525b'; var geo_isCG = true;</script><script src="http://js.geoads.com/geoLink.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">var geo_Partner = '437f9b45-d464-4fc4-8e27-136e7340525b'; var geo_isCG = true;</script><script src="http://js.geoads.com/geoLink.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">var geo_Partner = '437f9b45-d464-4fc4-8e27-136e7340525b'; var geo_isCG = true;</script><script src="http://js.geoads.com/geoLink.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
An interesting question, & one that led me to do some quick googling about the DR.

Now I'm worried ...

It turns out that over 70% of the country's foreign trade is with the USA, so if the US economy goes belly-up this country will have REAL problems.

Sensibly though the government has been forging links with Central American countries & the EU as well so hopefully that can fill some of the void.

Now if they could only find a way to tap into the Chinese boom ...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a real estate boom of sorts here in Santiago and I would expect in other areas as well that caters to the increasing middle class and returning Dominicans.

I expect this trend to continue as living in the US and Europe loses it's luster for a number of reasons such as the volatile economy and increasing cost of living and medical insurance for retirees. Also, as certain areas become more modern in a Western sense, ie better and more available public utilities and amenities such as large and economical store chains, Dominicans abroad will be tempted to return home. Finally, as the US deviates from a family based society into more of a career and personal accomplishment one Dominicans look forward to passing their final years with family socializing as opposed to being copped up and having to deal with the "rat race" that has come to personify the West.

With regard to Dominican politicians I expect them to foul up mostly as they have always done which will only make my dollars stronger. As for a narco state, it will never happen here for a variety of reasons, one being geography, two being that the DR is somewhat peculiar among LA countries as there is not deep rooted racism(ie between indigenous and mestiso/europeans) to fuel the perception(or reality) of one people being marginalized by another.

Status
Not open for further replies.