The first time in DR - travel advice?

johana.z

Sep 20, 2011
Hello,
I?m planning my first trip to the DR, approximately from 4th october, for 3 weeks. I would like to ask for some usually question, so if somebody could answer, I would be really glad for that.Thank you:)
1. What about weather? I was looking for some weather forecast which showed that there is still raining and storms. But is it really like this? Or there is short duration storm, then sun, then short storm and then sun again and so on?
2. I guess that camping is not allowed (or not recommended) outside camp? And spend the night in the car is also not recommended? I don?t think in big cities but close by some small villages or in nature.
3. About accommodation, is it enough book some cheap hotel when I arrive? Now is not main season, so it should be without problems, right?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is always hot and rains when it wants to, you can predict nothing. Camp up in the hills fine, coast no. Accom is cheap, 500-2000 depending on where and what.
keep sober, keep cool, no issue.
Have fun!

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Go to Cabarete

If you like a beach town, Cabarete is a good place to initiate a trip to the DR. Fly to POP and take a taxi ($35US)
to some hotel in Cabarete and branch out from there. Go online too activecabarete.com for good info.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
As far as weather goes, that's always relatively unpredictable ;) mind you...hurricane season will be coming to an end in October (although later, I believe).

I second Bellakins on Cabarete; great beach town, not too expensive, and an excellent way to kick off your DR adventure. You can definitely book a hotel when you arrive in the country, but note that Immigration tends to need a DR address (note, too, that this is strictly a formality and they probably won't even look but just in case!) :)

The North Coast is spectacular, and I highly recommend giving it a go upon arrival. POP is a great airport to fly into, close enough to Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Sosua, with high ex-pat communities and chill enough to spend your firts few days or so!

Have a perfect time; I know you'll love it here :)