looking for advice on canadian application

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
Hello,

I feel like Im having a hard time finding the info Im looking for, i've read posts on here and also the canadian embassies website..hopefully someone here can give me a good answer, I would really appreciate it!!

Im a Canadian that lives in Santiago for 2 years now, been married for 14 months, have a baby that was born here, and ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS: is it possible for me to do the whole application to take my wife with me to Canada with me being here?..

I do not want to go to Canada until she has her papers and can travel with me...is this possible?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's some info for you

If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Note: Permanent residents residing abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be residing abroad.

Taken from Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

You need to return to Canada to establish residency here

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
See question 11 in the Sponsorship application http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5540E.PDF
It asks where you reside and if not in Canada when you plan to return and plans to re-establish yourself in Canada. You have to prove all of it.
Much easier to come back then apply I think.
You really should read the WHOLE package and get a good understanding of how it works.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Money money money

What you desire to achieve - to be in Canada with wife and child - is possible through every possible permutation and configuration:

1. stay here and apply together from here
2. you go to canada and sponsor them to come
3. you both go there and apply from there

The caveats under each of 1) 2) and 3) come down to your financial resources and the amount of time you're willing to be away from each other.

In order:

#1. under this route, you will have no 'away time' from each other, however they will want to see that you have the financial resources to support your wife and child coming to Canada and establishing permenant residency. you technically have to call out a 'date you will come to Canada'. If you have hundreds of G's in the bank, they can see that you can come whenever you want, and can establish yourself at your leisure. If you don't like the rest of us, they're gonna want to see things like a job offer, an employment contract with a definitive start date etc.

#2. under this route, wife and child stay here, while you go to Canada. Because you're away, in theory, this route will get processed the 'fastest' because you're away from each other. the caveat is that the current advice of the embassy is that it could take anywhere from 6-14 months to process this type of application. so in theory you're in Canada, working, while wife is here. Money is good, but time away from each other is bad.

#3. under this route, you've done #2, but wife also gets a TRV and comes to 'visit' you in Canada. Lots of if's here, assuming she's eligible for TRV. the application for TRV and PR are not related to each other. They're totally separate and evaluated by different people. Now on a TRV, she can't work in Canada. So she's a liability to you. You have to be able to demonstrate that you and/or her have the financial ability to support her costs and medical needs through the duration of her stay. Hard to do for most Dominicans. Having savings as a Canadian helps argue this case. Note the TRV has an end date. Once she's in the country, your application has changed and will not be processed by the SDQ office anymore, so this process will take longer. So it could result in some 'away' time to renew her TRV etc.

So in short, the answer is, it 'depends'. How much money do you have saved up? How desperate are you to make the process go faster in time. How much time are you willing to spend away from each other?