Recommendations for moving belongings to DR from NYC???

anneca77

Aug 10, 2011
Hi All,

My husband and I are moving to Santiago in 2 weeks and are planning to stay for one year to work on a project. We will be living in with my husband's mother (who is Dominican) so we don't need to bring much with us. However we are both musicians and would like to bring some of our equipment (guitars, electric drumset, midi controller, etc) which amounts to a about 5 large boxes. In addition, we each have 2-3 regular sized moving boxes of clothing, books, tools, toiletries, etc. We are willing to pair down the music equipment to one amp and 2 guitars if necessary.

We had a NY based Dominican moving company come and give us an estimate and the prices were outrageously expensive (ex: 150.00 to ship a 20 inch keyboard that costs less than that). We are wondering if those of you out there who have relocated might have any recommendations or ideas on the most affordable way to move our things? We are now researching fed ex & ups, as well as airline options. Would love to hear advice from those who've done this without completely breaking the bank!

Thanks,
Anneca

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I used Montero shipping in the Bronx to ship 2 large LCD TVs. You can try and get a quote from them

SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gonna be rough. First of all come by American and bring big suitcases. YOur instruments will go free either as checked or carry ons.
Think about shipping boxed which, from NYC could be in the 100 dollar range. You can pack everything you need into three or four of them and they provide door to door service. Also, you should know that music here in Santiago abounds so things like keyboards are here in all probability. If you can get it into one of those boxes that is. (Sorry, I have no idea of what you were taking about, really,,,,I am imagining something less than three feet long.???

Any way that is one way to skin the cat. There are others.
To review:
1) Big bags on American w/guitars
2) Ship boxes with household and clothing and such by door to door shipper.

Might work

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gonna be rough. First of all come by American and bring big suitcases. YOur instruments will go free either as checked or carry ons.
Think about shipping boxed which, from NYC could be in the 100 dollar range. You can pack everything you need into three or four of them and they provide door to door service. Also, you should know that music here in Santiago abounds so things like keyboards are here in all probability. If you can get it into one of those boxes that is. (Sorry, I have no idea of what you were taking about, really,,,,I am imagining something less than three feet long.???

Any way that is one way to skin the cat. There are others.
To review:
1) Big bags on American w/guitars
2) Ship boxes with household and clothing and such by door to door shipper.

Might work

HB

I think they tried that and found it expensive.
The door to door charge by the box.

I'm trying 2 big boxes this month (4 ft cubes).
We'll see if it saves . !!??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anneca, I don't know who you called, but try Montero as Shalena suggested, or the people we use - Embarque Bella Vista. They're based in the Bronx, but pick up all over NJ too [I'm near Atlantic City]. Both will supply boxes to you, good size, cost is $75 to ship one, $200 to ship three of them. Weight is immaterial, stuff just has to fit in the box. And it has to be their boxes. Last month we shipped 3 boxes and a dishwasher, they charged us $100 for the DW because it went with the 3 boxes.

Now, they all also have big blue plastic drums [they call them 'tanques' ]with metal covers which are bigger/taller than the boxes. You have to buy the drum [usually about $25-$40] and then it costs us $115 to ship. Holds a lot more, maybe the keyboard will fit in there it the box is too short. Dominicans will fight over those drums, they use them for water and lots of other things. Your inlaws will love them.

If you're in Queens, try Awilda in Corona, one of the posters here uses them all the time and is very happy.

AE

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am gonna be tough on you and tell you to just not bring the instruments.

Because you are coming here only for a year and at the end of the time you are gonna want to ship them back and when you try to cost that out, it is going to cost you far more than price of the equipment.

Because you are coming here to "work on a project" ---

Because you are moving in with your mother in law.. whose house is probably already full,

Because you can buy a cheap but decent guitar here for less than the shipping cost

Ditto a drum.. handmade here

Because really do you want an amplifier? do you know if the inversor will run it? Or if the 84 abuela downstairs will really, really appreciate having an amplified drum set above her head?

Because all that stull will make you seem like las gringas ricas with bulls eyes on your wallets

because they stole my TAYLOR guitar (sob oh sob sob, best guitar I ever had, oh sob)

but then you are talking to someone who relocated here FOREVER with one backback, a laptop, and a guitar.

;;; oh OK, I shipped two boxes, with down pillows, and books and some extra shoes but NOTE the intention was FOREVER --in that I did not store anything in the States.

store it. It is only a year. You can study flamenco and palo here