side trips from santo domingo

alaska1986

I will be staying in Santo Domingo for about 10 days or so and some of these days my friend will be at work. After seeing most of the sites in Santo Domingo, I wanted to know what a "do-able" day trip would be to explore some more of the land. I just dont want to be bored while my friend is at work. I will have a car (nerve-wrecking I know, I've drove in big US cities and mexico but never DR yet, either way my insurance is squared away).

Thanks

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I will be staying in Santo Domingo for about 10 days or so and some of these days my friend will be at work. After seeing most of the sites in Santo Domingo, I wanted to know what a "do-able" day trip would be to explore some more of the land. I just dont want to be bored while my friend is at work. I will have a car (nerve-wrecking I know, I've drove in big US cities and mexico but never DR yet, either way my insurance is squared away).

Thanks

I've recommended them before, and will continue to do so: Explora! Ecotour

Most people that go are in their 20's which may or may not be okay with you. They meet centrally at a gas station across from plaza central, where you can park your car for the day.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I too can endorse Explora! Affordable, healthy, fun and educational. But their excursions tend to happen on weekends when your friend may not be working. But you guys could go together!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
beaches:
to the east
boca chica
guayacanes
juan dolio

to the west
palenque
najayo
bani
salinas
(sand dunes)

During the weekdays there wont be many people at these beaches but if hanging out on the beach, getting sun, drinking presidentes, and relaxing is your thing you can try these

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I would recommend heading to Jarabacoa or Samana.

Both nice places to visit, but I wouldn't call either a day-trip.

To the west of SD you might consider La Toma in San Cristobal, a lot closer than Najayo or Palenque. I haven't been there in awhile, but it's a nice way to spend a day. It's a river with a dam, fresh water, pool-like. Empty midweek, jammed on the weekends.

la toma san cristobal - Google Search

AE

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Both nice places to visit, but I wouldn't call either a day-trip.

Why would you not call either a day trip? They are both about 2 hours drive from the capital and easy day trips I used to constantly enjoy when living in SD.

Also, it depends on what you want but La Toma de San Cristobal is not what I consider a nice getaway. There's scores of people packed in the pool, drinking with booming reggaeton, merengue and bachata. Given, someone might enjoy that but not me, personally.

A day trip to Jarabacoa is great. Once you arrive in town, take a hike to el Salto del Jimenoa along the Jarabacoa - Constanza highway. Then get some lunch, take a swim in La Confluencia or even visit Monte Alto Coffee. In the afternoon, take a short hike to see el Salto Baiguate.

If going to Samana, don't forget to make a stop at el Salto de Socoa along the Samana highway. It is a beautiful hidden waterfall just off the road. When you get to Samana town, you can take a boat out to Cayo Levantado. If not Samana, head up to Las Terrenas and hike to el Salto de Limon.

You'll need to get up earlier for Samana but it's doable. Jarabacoa is no problem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Also, it depends on what you want but La Toma de San Cristobal is not what I consider a nice getaway. There's scores of people packed in the pool, drinking with booming reggaeton, merengue and bachata. Given, someone might enjoy that but not me, personally.

Wow, it was not like that any time we've gone, if it was we would have turned right around and left. We've never been there on a weekend, and haven't been there in a couple of years, so things may have changed. Never heard loud music - that's one of the main reasons we don't like going to Playa Najayo [which we can walk to] and get in the car and drive to Playa Palenque instead.

We used to love La Toma, our kids did too. I guess time changes things.

The reason I wouldn't call the others a day trip is that I understood the OP was looking for something to do during the day when their friend was working, so I was thinking more of trips under an hour each way so they'd be home when the friend got home from work.

AE

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
What ever happened to the beach that was in the center of the city, Malecon area. It was called Guivian or something like that.
I used to go there when I was a kid, many moons ago!

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
What ever happened to the beach that was in the center of the city, Malecon area. It was called Guivian or something like that.
I used to go there when I was a kid, many moons ago!

Playa Guibia is the beach in front of what is now Malecon Center. I was not around for this, but I understand it was a popular spot in years past and a great surf spot as well. I think pollution has been the prime cause of the beaches' demise.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I was wondering since I have not heard anyone mentioning this beach.

Interesting data, thanks!