Import duties/ restrictions televisons

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
I know that importing electronics is not allowed unless you bring in a 'settlers' load. What about if you pay an import duty? I'm talking about a 40" flat screen TV for our condo? Anybody know who to contact for a definite answer?
Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can import any type of electronics you want. 9" Tv to a complete home without a problem.
It comes down to the duty you will pay and what happens if it breaks?
When you factor the above in, it's normally cheaper to buy locally, unless you plan to hand carry manageable items.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
TV's have come way down in the last year here in the DR. I just priced out a 50" plasma Panasonic for RD 48,000...only about 300 bucks more than in Canada. LED's are still way up there in price though.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
im also looking to bring a 55" tv. Currently contacting various 'mudanza' companies and freight forwarders. Will get back to you.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
??? a couple of visits thru sdq i brought a 19" tv and i brought a 32" tv on another.with the 19" i went right thru and the 32" tv they filled out a small blue paper but they let me thru customs w/out paying.i was there again last month and nothing still hasnt been said.
is this shipping one or bringing one thru the airport?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I had seen something about duties not being enforced during the holidays last year I have not herd anything about this year .

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
TV's have come way down in the last year here in the DR. I just priced out a 50" plasma Panasonic for RD 48,000...only about 300 bucks more than in Canada. LED's are still way up there in price though.
Post or pm me. Where??? Might be interested.

Colin Geissler

Aug 22, 2011
I just came in from Canada on Saturday with a 32" LCD TV and a BBQ (paid $50 per item as extra luggage on WestJet). They were held at the airport until Monday morning. I have to go back to the airport to find out what rate they will be charged at and then to pay the fees to pick up my goods.

The advice I got from locals was it would likely be less expensive to bring these goods in on the plane rather than buy them locally. I will let you know what happened.

Colin Geissler

Aug 22, 2011
UPDATE: All told I paid about $320 in duties on $450 of goods. Added to the $100 I paid Westjet to carry the items as extra baggage I am pretty sure I still came out ahead. However, if I add the gas and time to go back to the airport 2-days later it becomes less appealing. Mind you to get these items I would have had to drive to SD or Santiago anyway.

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
I thought that you were allowed to bring in up to 500 dollars every three months duty free? If I brought a tv worth 498 from Canada via westjet should I not be allowed to bring it in duty free?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought that you were allowed to bring in up to 500 dollars every three months duty free? If I brought a tv worth 498 from Canada via westjet should I not be allowed to bring it in duty free?

I have never heard of such an exemption. Where did you?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
UPDATE: All told I paid about $320 in duties on $450 of goods. Added to the $100 I paid Westjet to carry the items as extra baggage I am pretty sure I still came out ahead. However, if I add the gas and time to go back to the airport 2-days later it becomes less appealing. Mind you to get these items I would have had to drive to SD or Santiago anyway.

Sound like you would have been better off shipping the items by land to a Dominican Shipping company in FL or NY that then delivered them to your door in the DR.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I brought in a 35" TV prepared to pay the duty on the price I paid for it as I had the purchase price receipt. They ignored the receipt and made me pay duty on a price they found on the internet for the same model not on sale and twice the price therefore twice the duty. I complained away to deaf ears.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I brought in a 35" TV prepared to pay the duty on the price I paid for it as I had the purchase price receipt. They ignored the receipt and made me pay duty on a price they found on the internet for the same model not on sale and twice the price therefore twice the duty. I complained away to deaf ears.

That is interesting. The prices I was recently quoted in Florida by a Dominican shipper to ship TVs to the DR was based upon the size of the TV and not the price. The one thing about DR customs is that they there is nothing transparent nor consistent about the way they (poorly) function.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I just bought a Viore 42" LCD (Wallmart brand) for 28,900 pesos as PriceMart Santiago. Its about 450.00 in WallMart (US), after taxes etc. Since 28,900 is about $760.00 and duties would be around 10,000 pesos ( I asked last month at pop how much for 40" tax) and add an extra 100.00 for extra large on the plane. Bottom line its a wash PLUS I have a year guarantee locally and avoid all the bull**** and pain of bringing.

Buy it here, the days of big savings are gone on TV's

P.S. The cheap sets at Plaza LLama are junk (Colby's) and only guarantee for a month. They are used to lure you in, but once there they switch you over to one for 38,000 and tell you they haven't sold one yet and one month guarantee:(

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Last time I was in Miami I went into Best Buy. They had a mountain of Samsung 37" LCD TV's going for $299!

At that price I thought, what the heck. I checked it in with AA in it's original box and wondered if I'd ever see it again, or at least in one piece.

I found it carefully placed in the baggage hall of POP airport and I was politely waved over customs. i showed them my receipt and they charged me RD$5,000. They only issue was that wanted cash and in pesos. Luckily the ATM at the airport was working.

Got the TV home, unboxed it, plugged it in and it works beautifully!

All in all, a good deal for me.