Marriage laws in Dr on property owned in another country before marriage

karen.miller1963

Apr 30, 2009
I need to know once i marry my fiance who is from the DR does he have any claim to my home if something should happen to me or things wrong . My home is my childrens inheritance . I have been reading many threads but can find nothing that relates to owning a property in another country . Also if i wanted to get a prenup do i have to do this in DR or UK . We are marrying in DR but will be living in the UK . Thanks

karen.miller1963

Apr 30, 2009
Hi Jackichan , thanks for that bit of advice .... Funny thing is I was married to an English man for 19 years thought i trusted him 100% found out he had lied to me for the whole our married life i think im a little bit older and wiser now but as in all of life you never know who you can trust so that is why I WANT TO KNOW HOWTO PROTECT MY ASSESTS . Yes i love this man he has given me more happiness then i have ever felt and if it doesnt last forever ive had a lot of fun on the way...Life goes on !
Happy Friday and have a great weekend !

karen.miller1963

Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for that but been advised not to put house in there names , as if they got into debt the house could be lost !

Karen

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am pretty sure that Real Estate stays with the person named on the title. You can check this with a Dominican lawyer to be sure. But if you have money in the bank, half would be his if divorced.

Why not make it easy and get a Pre-Nup. They are like iron in the DR. Just make sure you have a good lawyer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't do anything until you hear from one of the Guzmans. They are very experienced, competent attorneys and will give you the information you need to make a decision.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
With all the threads and posts concerning this I... ???

First: What Ken said.
Second: What Ricky11 said.
Third: You don't have an attorney in the U.K.? Your property that you are trying to protect IS in the U.K. Right?

I can not help but wonder what you are thinking about! YOU "love" this man but you need to protect yourself. Sounds like a "run away as fast as you can" situation. Not like we have not heard this before... over and over and over.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Ken , i have sent them a private message but have had no response yet , will hopefully hear something soon .

Karen, I don't know if they respond to private messages. However, they will respond to the thread you started. I believe one reason that they may not reply to your PM is that the intent is to provide information that may at some time be useful to others on the board. All these threads end up in the archives where they can be accessed in the future by others with similar questions/concerns. Do not be surprised if you don't get a response to your PM and do not interpret this as a lack of interest. This is a great free service they provide all of us on dr1.

Anyone wanting more will probably need to deal with them as a client of the law firm.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i would have thought that if the house is in the UK and you are living there then UK law applies ie if you divorce then he has half the house unless you have a prenup. As far as I am aware in the DR then if you buy the house before you are married then it is yours whoever's name it is in. Any property bought after the marriage is divided.

But if you are talking UK then talk to a UK solicitor.

Matilda

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I am a little busy right now but will shortly share with you the knowledge that I have in this area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i would have thought that if the house is in the UK and you are living there then UK law applies ie if you divorce then he has half the house unless you have a prenup. As far as I am aware in the DR then if you buy the house before you are married then it is yours whoever's name it is in. Any property bought after the marriage is divided.

But if you are talking UK then talk to a UK solicitor.

Matilda

Every time I read something about this, I realize again how lazy we've been in our marriage. We were married in 1976, in NYC. Everything here in the US is in both names. Around 1980 we bought 15 tareas in DR and started building a house. We also bought about 100 tareas in Ocoa in the past few years. Both are in his name alone, I wasn't there for either purchase.

The lazy part? We've never bothered to register our marriage in DR, his cedula still says "soltero" 35 years later. I'm afraid to think what hoops I'll have to jump through if something happens to him.

Guess it's time for us to straighten that out...... I looked into it online a couple of times, and it seems like such a rigamarole, hence the laziness factor.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mr. Guzman has said, repeatedly, that real estate owned by one partner before the marriage does not go into the pot. But Ken's advice to talk to the DRLaw people is right on in this case.

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Every time I read something about this, I realize again how lazy we've been in our marriage. We were married in 1976, in NYC. Everything here in the US is in both names. Around 1980 we bought 15 tareas in DR and started building a house. We also bought about 100 tareas in Ocoa in the past few years. Both are in his name alone, I wasn't there for either purchase.

The lazy part? We've never bothered to register our marriage in DR, his cedula still says "soltero" 35 years later. I'm afraid to think what hoops I'll have to jump through if something happens to him.

Guess it's time for us to straighten that out...... I looked into it online a couple of times, and it seems like such a rigamarole, hence the laziness factor.

AE

Rather then trying to change the names on the titles and deslindes, you might have your husband set the properties up in a Dominican Corp with you both having equal shares and perhaps your children, if applicable, with lesser in case something should happen to both of you. You may have to have others, Dominicans, in the Corp. with one share each to keep it a legal Corp.

We had to change our Corp. papers due to some new laws a couple of years ago but I don't remember all the details. We have a good lawyer that handles all this. It should not be that hard or expensive unless you have not paid your taxes. You have to have a Corp. meeting once a year and that is when we pay our yearly taxes that are a lot less as a Corp then it would be on each of our individual properties.

I suggest that you consult a lawyer to learn all the facts.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

AE

You don't need to worry about changing titles as was bought after married, just register your marriage in the DR. No idea how you do that though!

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whatever was yours BEFORE the marriage stays yours, that is very clear in DOMINICAN law. but you are not going to live in DR so check british laws about that.
a prenup is a must but if your marriage kicks the dust things are going to get dirty either way. nonetheless, it will give your family some peace of mind.

alterego, i have been married for a while and neither of us bothered to change the status on our documents. i just cannot be arsed to go through all this trouble.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

AE

AYAYAAYAY

does this make all your children illegitemate? Oh my oh my

such a scandal!!! from such a fine family!!
you had best straighten this out before the abuela finds out!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AYAYAAYAY

does this make all your children illegitemate? Oh my oh my

such a scandal!!! from such a fine family!!
you had best straighten this out before the abuela finds out!

Haha, nope, we're legally married and registered in the eyes of the US and the Catholic Church, no illegitimate kids.

Now that I think about that, the church in Santo Domingo where he was baptized has the record of our marriage because we needed his baptismal certificate to get married in a Catholic Church in NY, and they sent the marriage record to the baptizing church [It's how they keep track of people who try to re-marry in a Catholic Church, all the sacraments are recorded on the baptismal record]

It's just the DR government that doesn't know. Guess it's time to look into that again.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just bring your certificates from the US to the DR and go to the Registro Civil in your town and then register the marriage. Maybe, just maybe you'll have to do this in Santo Domingo since it is a late declaration, but I am betting it is not too complicated..

As for the OP, she has obtained excellent advice. Have a pre-nup written up in her place of residence. Iron clad... and let him know about it and make him sign it!...

Abrazos,

HB