Info on the South West

Charlie-

Oct 18, 2010
Hello:
I am very interested in the South West of the DR, the little I saw of it during my last visit stuck with me. I am eager to return, I would like to know more about this area in order to plan my next visit this November. The furthest I went was to Los Patos, south of Barahona.
I seem to find very little information on what can be found towards Pedernales and south of Barahona. Cabo Rojo... Are there any roads along the Coast, fishing villages. Small towns with a dive shop. (scuba)
Is there a map available that shows towns/villages along the coast. I like the fact that there are no big super clubs in this area. I try and stay clear of all inclusive resorts and their patrons.
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I guess you never heard of Google Earth? Of Google maps? there are maps of everything nowadays.

HB

Charlie-

Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the tip. I am very familiar with goole earth and maps. I was hoping for much more info than what google earth/maps offers.
I will visit in November and see for myself. I was told that there is not much for tourists to do in this region, besides the parks. I am looking to possibly move to the DR and start my dream, a small hotel/restaurant/ dive shop/fishing charter on a very small scale. I'm not looking to get rich and have plans to spend what ever I make locally. I'm looking for a small pueblo on the water that might welcome a new venue. I guess I will rent a car in S.D and just drive west. Any advice of where to stay or not stay would be nice.
Thanks

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A friend of mine had a Dive School in what was a Barcelo hotel to the west of Barahona. I am not sure if the hotel is still open but the dive business failed as there are simply not enough people to go diving. Having said that he did say that the diving was excellent.

Matilda

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Road from Barahona to Oviedo and Pedernales

The "Barahona checklist" is pretty complete. Find hereby some more info.

1) Coastal road from Barahona to Pedernales
This is my preferred road in the D.R, especially the 1 hour stretch between Barahona and Oviedo gives you stunning mountain and beach views.
Don't miss the viewpoint near Playa San Rafael from the small parking space, one of the postcard views of the DR.
I recommend to eat seafood for lunch at Los Patos and to take a boat trip at sunset on the Laguna de Oviedo to see the flamingos. If you go till Pedernales visit Hoyo del Pelepito for the mountain view and Cabo Rojo/Bahia de los Aguilas for the sea. And don?t forget to eat the cheapest lobster of the D.R. in restaurant Jalisco in Pedernales (at entrance of town at right hand side)!
Look here for more stunning scenery and roads.

2) Map of the area
- Buy in any decent Santo Domingo bookshop the "Mapa Turistico Republica Dominicana" of Mapas Gaar.
- Or order by internet the very good map "Dominican Republic" of Borch

3) Start Diving business / Hotel
- I am not a diving expert, but the currents are very strong along the coast between Barahona and Oviedo.
- There should be good diving at Isla Beata, but it is difficult to get there (inside the National Park Jaragua and authorization needed).
- As said by others, I am afraid there will be limited demand for diving.
- There is maybe still space for a decent hotel, but beware there is almost no demand from back packers in the region. And expect only customers during weekends

4) Some nice hotels in Pedernales
Hostal Do?a Chava, C. 2d, 809-524-0332. Maybe the closest you get to a backpacker hotel in the region.
Hotel De Oleo Mendez, Antonio Duverte # 8 - Barrio Alcoa 809-?