Rent a Car in US with Dominican Driver's License

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'm travelling to the US in a month and I have to rent a car. My Massachusetts driver's license lapsed and I have a valid Dominican driver's license.

Will I be able to rent a car at Logan airport in Boston with a Dominican license?

Has any American citizen here successfully rented a car at Boston airport or any US airport with a Dominican license?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm travelling to the US in a month and I have to rent a car. My Massachusetts driver's license lapsed and I have a valid Dominican driver's license.

Will I be able to rent a car at Logan airport in Boston with a Dominican license?

Has any American citizen here successfully rented a car at Boston airport or any US airport with a Dominican license?

Does citizenship have anything to do with it?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
HI:

I would think you should be able to rent a car with a Dominican drivers license. More importantly you will need a credit card and I would make sure you also have your passport handy. I would call a couple of rental companies or e-mail them your concern.

S

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Yes, we use our DR licenses at Logan and know too Massachusetts requires rental car contracts to include minimum liability insurance so no need to pay the extra per diem.

Gdeleon

Sep 26, 2011

I have rented cars at Miami International many times with my Dominican Drivers license with no problem. In fact, I was stopped by the Florida Highway Patrol once when one of the lights on the rental was not working (unknown to me) and I only had my DR license. The trooper asked me for a US license, I explained I live in the DR, and he said that it was fine, no ticket as it was a rental, and on my way (and he didn't even ask for money to buy a fria). If you think about it, they have people renting from all over the world all of the time, so it is apparently not a big issue with them. You'll be fine and have a nice trip.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I have rented cars at Miami International many times with my Dominican Drivers license with no problem. In fact, I was stopped by the Florida Highway Patrol once when one of the lights on the rental was not working (unknown to me) and I only had my DR license. The trooper asked me for a US license, I explained I live in the DR, and he said that it was fine, no ticket as it was a rental, and on my way (and he didn't even ask for money to buy a fria). If you think about it, they have people renting from all over the world all of the time, so it is apparently not a big issue with them. You'll be fine and have a nice trip.

That's exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I may get an International Driver Permit just to be on the safe side. They're not very expensive online.

In Massachusetts if there was a system like the DR the staties* wouldn't ask for a bien fria they'd ask for a Dunkin Donuts coffee.

*(State Police - Highway Patrol) "Keep your hands on the wheel, stay in the cah. We can forget about the tail light for a cupla cawfees."

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You don't need an international permit. A valid DR lic is enough. I am an American and have rented vehhicles in the US with no problem with my DR lic.

Bob K

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Most of the rental agencies say they only require an International permit if they can't translate the drivers license. So I probably would get the permit if my license was from China or Egypt, for example. But I'm sure that the agency employees probably can read a license in Spanish as well as one in English.