10% on restaurant bills

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Does any know if owners are required to share the 10% among the workers or do workers only get what is left in cash above the required 10%? Do workers receive anything from a tip left with a credit card?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No, cash tips only as far as I have experienced. I know one English owner who is honest, but not Doms. <generalization>

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Try reading this thread. http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/72787-what-circumstances-tips-insulting.html
Even if you hand a waiter a tip directly, you can't be guaranteed that he isn't required to pool it with his fellow employees. Try to be discrete if you want to take care of a someone who gave excellent service.

I think dividing the tips up equal at the end of each shift is the best way. My partner worked in restaurants and it works out better, she came home with a pretty average RD800$ after each shift, I think it works out fairer, as long as everyone works as hard as each other.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I have been told by a couple of restaurant owners that the 10% goes to the house. If you want to tip your waiter or waitress that is over an above the 16% Fed tax and 10% service charge.

S

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think dividing the tips up equal at the end of each shift is the best way. My partner worked in restaurants and it works out better, she came home with a pretty average RD800$ after each shift, I think it works out fairer, as long as everyone works as hard as each other.
Except, in the DR they require the tips to be divided amongst the complete staff including waiters, busboys, hosts, captains, dishwashers, cooks and bartenders. The restaurant owners rely on tips to supplement their payrolls.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This has been debated over and over and NO ONE can answer you.

Since the 10% is on the bill and paid it is unkown how that is shared, if at all, with the working staff. I would guess that a credit card would leave them less since a fee is involved with the transaction and some owners want to cover that fee. Quite frankly, most owners are not too concerned about what their workers make and can easily replace them.

Most of the places my wife and I go to do NOT put the 10% on our bill. We NEVER use a C.C. We pay our bill in cash and wait for the change and leave what we feel is the proper tip. At times we go to the kitchen and show ours thanks to them too.

Did you know that the bag boys at Playero are not paid by the store at all! The boys work ONLY for the tips from the customers. So a 25 peso tip for them to carry your 4,000 peso purchase to your car does matter to them. But I'm a sucker... I give them 35. (haven't you wondered why you don't see the same bag boys?)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Except, in the DR they require the tips to be divided amongst the complete staff including waiters, busboys, hosts, captains, dishwashers, cooks and bartenders. The restaurant owners rely on tips to supplement their payrolls.

I think that is a good thing! Front of house staff get the same as behind the scenes!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
And you wonder why service, in general, is lousy.

No, I know why service in general is lousy, and that is because people employ lazy people. If you eat at a good restaurant then you should not have lousy service. The lousy service is down to the employer.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Yes, I know that tips are generally shared. My question is where does what is shared come from? I would love to have a reply from an owner of a restaurant.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
No, I know why service in general is lousy, and that is because people employ lazy people. If you eat at a good restaurant then you should not have lousy service. The lousy service is down to the employer.

You have your food delivered from cheap pizza places and the grocery stores as your own posts have stated. You and a "good restaurant" (or anything else that requires some money) don't seem to go together.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yes, I know that tips are generally shared. My question is where does what is shared come from? I would love to have a reply from an owner of a restaurant.
I've seen at many restaurants, at the end of the night (when only a few of us derelects are still at the bar) a couple of employees are counting the cash tip pool and dividing it according to some predetermined formula amongst their fellow employees. How and when they ever see any tips left on credit cards, I don't know.

Nov 25, 2008
Supermarket bag carriers are not paid, just tips, Supermercado Nacional.......
all the same; customer service is NOT in the vocabulary here

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You have your food delivered from cheap pizza places and the grocery stores as your own posts have stated. You and a "good restaurant" (or anything else that requires some money) don't seem to go together.

And so by your judgement a person can not have pizza one day and eat at a nice restaurant another? Haha, you really are a funny boy, get a grip sunshine!

I must admit I rarely do eat out at fancy restaurants as we have a young child and it isn't really practical, but then again I did mention my partner worked in a restaurant and the situation there. If you pulled your head out your arse from trying so hard find insults, just for 1 second you would see that, but really, you aren't even worth the post space!

Have a nice day, Dringo!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Does any know if owners are required to share the 10% among the workers or do workers only get what is left in cash above the required 10%? Do workers receive anything from a tip left with a credit card?

I'm sorry that I got into a "Pi..ing" contest with someone else and hope that others with real information can help you. I hope that my sincere post way above helps.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
ringo, i am on your side. its time for this ( and i use the term loosely) person to be shown the door

Oooh, sides!!! I have the same thoughts for the both of you considering you contribute sod all to the site and only seem to come on the pi$$ on others opinions and posts. I want you to find a thread I have insuted you two or in any way put you down when not in retaliation for the school yard banter you spit out. Grow up both of you,,,, Sides, lol, hahaha!!

I give it to you for trying, but unfortunately you make little impression on anything, but I expect if you love Boca then your expectations in life are not all that high so you're probably happy.

Carry on children!

I'm done here!

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You have your food delivered from cheap pizza places and the grocery stores as your own posts have stated. .

It's called a COLMADO, just figured I teach you that after all you have only been here 8 years or so no?

My good deed for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's called a COLMADO, just figured I teach you that after all you have only been here 8 years or so no?

Actually a grocery store is called a super-mercado and a Colmado is the little thing on the corner that sells a little bit of food or beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Actually a grocery store is called a super-mercado and a Colmado is the little thing on the corner that sells a little bit of food or beer.

He stated that I get deliveries from, I do not know any super-mercados that deliver in my area, I certainly have not had a delivery from one. And on this point I figure he refers to a post of mine about a delivery from the local Colmado/Grocery store I have had. Colmados sell everything, from groceries to nail varnish and pork to crisps, anything you need in a day to day life, a grocery store I'd say but that depends on what 'side' you are on, lol.

A super mercado is a mini supermarket or a supermarket! To me it kind of gives it away in the name, haha!