Looking to purchase apartment in Santo Domingo

L

linamia

I am interested in purchasing an apartment in Santo Domingo, but the prices that i have been told seem very high almost not worth buying an apartment but a house please advised pricewise.

C

Clara

It all depends on...

You can always find a house cheaper than an apartment, but of course the location of the house is surely not as good as the apartment's. An example: in my neighbourhood a 3 bed, apartment cost about RD1,400,00. A 3 bed house finished with the same kind of materials (imported-Spanish or Italian- tiles, mahogany, etc.) goes about RD$4,500,000.

E

Ed and Mame

Re: It all depends on...

Hello, Clara, Can you please arrange those figures into American dollars? (it's the way we may be able to afford.) Also, would like to e-mail with you (and/or IM) in order to ask questions regarding life in DR (plain, old simple, retired life - not tourists, not "rich", just ordinary simple life for ages 65 and 67), as that is our plan in about a year from now; however, will be there on a "fact-finding trip" perhaps in June. -Ed and Mame-

C

Clara

It makes perfect sense ...

In the lot where you build a house you may also build a 4 stories building with 8 apartment (or higher), thus owning a house in a good part of town is a luxury (at least for me it is).

For Ed & Mame, these are the same prices in US$: apartment = 83,086 aprox. house = 267,062. I have to admit that I gave you an example of an expensive part of town, but in this part of town those numbers are the cheapest you could find. There are some nice places in Santo Domingo that are also cheaper, but I just gave you those numbers to compare house versus apartment.

J

John

I insist it doesnt make sense

!You can always find a house cheaper than an apartment!

!An example: in my neighbourhood a 3 bed, apartment cost about RD1,400,00. A 3 bed house finished with the same kind of materials (imported-Spanish or Italian- tiles, mahogany, etc.) goes about RD$4,500,000.!

if you say a house is cheaper than apartment (which is not true), you have to check your numbers again.
does it make perfect sense?

C

Clara

I insist it makes sense

You took that out of context, I said that you CAN find a house cheaper than an appartment only NOT in the same area. E.g. A house in Los Jardines del Norte may cost about RD$1,400,000 (US$83,086) while the cheapest appartment in Los Cacicazgos cost about the same amount. Got it?

J

John Stanley

Renting Flats

Sorry to interrupt this discussion but I'm interested in finding out the cost of renting in Santo Domingo. There is a possibility that I shall be working from later this year in Los Caminos and have been told that renting a furnished two bedroom flat in this area or nearby will cost between 1000US and 1500US per month! Is this true?

C

Clara

It all depends on...

It all depends on the area of town where you are interested in living. It may be less and it can be a lot more. It all depends on your standards.

R

Ralph

Re: It all depends on...

I was renting a two bedroom in Isabelita off of avenida Espana, one block from the water. Not the greatest of places but not bad for a third world country.

I paid 3,700 pesos per month. I'm sure I could have purchased similar for about 30K. A few more bucks to fix it up nice and I would have been set.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

No house can cost less than an apartment in any area of the city. For instance, I have my 2br,2ba with balcony apt.(1080 sq.ft)for sale for $1,250,000($US74,000)in the Piantini neighborhood(One of the best in the country)but any house in my area(typically with 8400ft lots and construction over 2400ft would go for over $10,000,000(US$600,000).

The minimum sq. meter price for lots in Piantini is $US600(unbuilt). Obviously, there are apartments that cost US$750,000 in Piantini, but these are superluxury units with features not found in most houses in the area. A lot in my area was recently sold for US$900 a sq. meter on Roberto Pastoriza Ave! Santo Domingo real estate is one of the most expensive in the world, a la par with some of the most important cities in the world, and definetly a la par with Miami Beach. Why? Well, Dominicans abroad are making lots of money and with our beautiful beaches, weather and growing financial power tourists are buying relatively cheap quality of life and paying for it.Sammy Sosa spent $80,000,000(US$5Mil) in a house in Anacaona Avenue and prices in that avenue have never been the same anymore! You would be lucky to find an apartment there for less that $3 million pesos.

In addition, the maintenance in a house is incredible. You would need a guardian 24hrs. at $20,000 a month or be robbed clean, a gardener, a cook or servant, spend thousands in landscaping every year, paint, outrageous electric bills over $5000 a month, oversized water bills and garbage collection. In addition, you would have to pay luxury property tax on any house in Santo Domingo, regardless of the area at 1% of assessed value. The minimum is $20,000 a year. Can you dig that?