Pictures of Dominican poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hello,

I have a couple of fundraising events for my Midwifery group who will be in Azua, DR in Dec-Jan. We will be there for 2 weeks and in addition to each of us taking 2 suitcases of donations, I have 2 fundraisers coming up for that purpose.
One of the fundraisers is a "Baby Shower". I will be giving a talk at a church regarding the DR and the Maternal and Infant situation in the country, in the talk I am also speaking about the importance of Midwives and what we do. There will be 3 churches attending and also many hospital employees, Each will bring a baby shower gift for donation. I will take as many of those things as I can when we go in December, the rest will be sent to a Pastor connection that my instructor has in Azua.
I was wanting to do a slideshow video with pictures of the poverty in DR and was wondering if any of you have pics to share. It has been shown that visually people feel more connected to a cause. So in addition to my speech, I would like to show a video slideshow, I will be setting it to Phil Collin's song "Another Day in Paradise".
If anyone has any pictures that they would like to share, my email address is shalenarn@hotmail.com
Please send them as attachments.....Thanks!

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks but I am not sure how to get a picture from an online article onto my USB. I am technologically illeterate. That is why I was asking for attachments because I can easily do that but I will ask some if the guys here at work. Thanks

SHALENA

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks but I am not sure how to get a picture from an online article onto my USB. I am technologically illeterate. That is why I was asking for attachments because I can easily do that but I will ask some if the guys here at work. Thanks

SHALENA
Just point to any of the pictures, click the right button on your mouse, then click "save picture as", then save it to any file on your computer or to your desktop.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Got it! Thanks! My daughter is going to show me how to make the video!

SHALENA

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
It's great to see you getting involved, and more importantly, getting others involved. Best of luck to you! May God bless your efforts.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It's great to see you getting involved, and more importantly, getting others involved. Best of luck to you! May God bless your efforts.

Thank you! Everyone in my job has been so supportive also, even the Neurosurgeons are chipping in! LOL I got them by telling them about the lights going out in public hospitals and surgeons finishing their cases by the lights of their cell phones.

For anyone else who has a charity and wants to raise money, Applebee's has "Flapjack Fundraiser". I am doing it in December,it is an all you can eat pancake breakfast for $7 and you give Applebee's $1.85+tax and your org keeps the rest. Applebee's supplies the place, food, chef, and drinks. You just sell tickets! Another nurse did it for her niece who has Cancer and raised $1400!

Oh, yeah....can't give all of the details yet but Birth Center coming soon to Santiago!!!!

Will need help from all the cibae?os in April/May,we will be in Santiago in Mid-May looking for space to rent!

SHALENA

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Welcome back Shalena. Good to see your posts again.
Let us know when you?re back in the country. I?m hereby inviting you to suncampdr for a free evening meal. Free Presidente or 2 also. I want to present you to another lady interested in midwifery. PM me when you are here, my cell phone doesn?t work down here at the sied of the river where I dwell. We?re just outside of Puerto Plata before you get to the airport.
Der Fish

Hahaha u live on a river bank?? (boring sunday afternoon and no interesting topics for discussion)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello,

I have a couple of fundraising events for my Midwifery group who will be in Azua, DR in Dec-Jan. We will be there for 2 weeks and in addition to each of us taking 2 suitcases of donations, I have 2 fundraisers coming up for that purpose.
One of the fundraisers is a "Baby Shower". I will be giving a talk at a church regarding the DR and the Maternal and Infant situation in the country, in the talk I am also speaking about the importance of Midwives and what we do. There will be 3 churches attending and also many hospital employees, Each will bring a baby shower gift for donation. I will take as many of those things as I can when we go in December, the rest will be sent to a Pastor connection that my instructor has in Azua.
I was wanting to do a slideshow video with pictures of the poverty in DR and was wondering if any of you have pics to share. It has been shown that visually people feel more connected to a cause. So in addition to my speech, I would like to show a video slideshow, I will be setting it to Phil Collin's song "Another Day in Paradise".
If anyone has any pictures that they would like to share, my email address is shalenarn@hotmail.com
Please send them as attachments.....Thanks!

SHALENA

I can provide you with plenty of pictures where you can see and almost touch poverty in the DR of Dominicans. That's if you meant Dominican poverty and not Haitian poverty in the DR...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why pictures? Can't you present with numbers and your own experience and encounters while there? My 2 pesos.

Because, when you are tugging on people's hearts and hoping to loosen up their wallets a picture of starving, ill dressed people works. That's why children International...etc do it.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Because, when you are tugging on people's hearts and hoping to loosen up their wallets a picture of starving, ill dressed people works. That's why children International...etc do it.

Perfect example
Nothing to do with the DR

Last edited by a moderator:
The big fail in this time of crisis. Misery is here up north too, no need for picture. Will be polite and abstain from commenting. Fed up with cultural structuralism and all the band aid stuff.

Mr.smith

Mar 8, 2011
I hate seeing pictures like those in your link. I see worse conditions here in Afghanistan. It seems almost impossible to eliminate poverty. With all the money America and Nato has spent here for a decade; nothing seemed to have changed. Giving out material goods is a kind thing to do, but I think we need to switch our focus to education. Education is the easiest way out of poverty and without it people will go back to poverty. Give an uneducated poor person 1 million and he'll blow it on superficial things. Give a poor person that's educated a million and he'll start a business or invest it. If us more fortunate people give anything it should be schools in poor areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.