Does anybody else agree with me....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
...that Dominicans (in the DR) are some of the friendliest people around?

I grew up in the States and lived all over the SE, lived in Germany and have traveled much of Europe but I can honestly say after living here 5+ years that Dominicans are consistently by far the most social and friendly people I've ever come across.

I've seen the comments that I'm just a positive guy(which I am) but what does that have to do with how unknown people treat you? Then there is the theory that people are nice to me because they want something but what if I don't give them anything, what excuse do they have to be friendly with me?

I'm currently taking classes at a local university and the cultural differences are fairly evident to me. For example, the atmosphere is much more relaxed here than back in the States. There is even a level of intimacy between the other students and teacher that makes me feel uncomfortable at times. There is too definitely a sense of camaraderie instead of the standard very structured, impersonal and very competitive atmosphere back in the States.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that it's not just me that there are indeed tangible differences between the "West" and the DR in the value given to social interaction... and it probably has something to do with the poor political leadership, streets, etc. :)

BTW, have a good evening.

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
This is exactly what induced me to relocate to the DR. The people here, even in Boca Chica, where I live. My neighborhood, about a half mile from downtown(Duarte) has some of the friendliest people. I lived in Las Vegas for 23 years and some of my neighbors there hardly said hello. I walk all over Boca Chica and where ever I go, most people will say hi back or even chat for awhile. Course some may want something but wagging the finger and saying no works for me.

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
I have been visiting Boca Chica, a month a year, for almost a decade. It is a place that is close to my heart, no matter what people say about it, for exactly the reasons you posted. Have you met a deaf guy named Juan? His homebase is on Duarte and the Boathouse. He loves the tourists and has been my hook up for everything from cars to haircuts.
My husband and I visit him every Christmas...there is nothing like New years and Christmas in Boca Chica!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't this a nice thread !

I hope it continues in this vein.
Most other "feel good" threads come under attack sooner or later.

Keep it coming !!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's easy to take it for granted. Going "home" to Europe makes me appreciate it more - when I realise that over there sour faces and defensive attitudes are the norm.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The poorer the people are the friendlier they are, have seen this all over the world. They're not as selfish as the people in the western countries because they depend more on others and are used to share, it's also a necessity to survive. People in the western world don't share, they don't have to because most people can fend for themselves. How many times have I arrived at the home of a friend in the western world at dinner time where I was asked either to come back later or to wait in the corner till they finish. This never happened to me in the DR.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I find Dominicans very friendly and that is one of the reasons I keep going there. However, they are not unique in that aspect.

I find most Africans, south/Central Americans or Caribbeans very friendly and social too. I agree with Franck R., it has to do with economics and I also think the sun has something to with it,lol

Everyone bashes European here (and I agree to some extent, heck I am French ;) ), but sorry I visited Italy many times and Italians (and mostly southern Europeans) are also very friendly.

hey, I am very friendly and social, I tend to attract friendly people regardless of nationality.

BTW, have a good day :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
didn't read the whole thread but I must say to OP, you need to travel to more countries more often in order to see there are nice people in far more countries than just the DR. Even the so called "terrorists countries" are way more friendlier than in USA or europe.
AZB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I like the door is always open and there is always a place at the table when you visit attitude. I tend to change depending where I am, I spent a lot of time in West Africa and the people are evn more friendlier there, they have less than nothing but would still share what they have with a fiend or guest.
In Europe I don't even like people visiting me without a prior phone call, if they do I will speak to them on the door without an invitation to come in and eat, I couldn't do that here, just isn't the done thing. Kuwait and Iraq are also very friendly, always a coffee and a chat anywhere, even the delivery boys get a coffee and chance to sit down at the clients homes.
The top of it here is I like and get on with people who are employed here, I stick to that rule, if thy don't work then they can sod off, just always seems to end in a negative experience if I welcome a lazy person into my life.
Thankfully I don't know anyone who does not work, everyone around me works.

TomSimpson

Sep 29, 2011
It is very nice of you to be so positive and enthusiastic. Albeit far from the truth.

It applies only to poor and undereducated. In every country poor are the friendliest. Are you accepted to the rich and elite Dominican circles? You would never say it about affluent Dominicans. On the contrary.
Have you ever witnessed how same "ultra friendly Dominicans" change in NY for instance? How they behave on the road. At work if they get any position of power. When they got money and equal rights they change BIG TIME.

But even in the DR. I am very close to many Dominicans. In Boca, in Sosua. So much close that aveces they forget that I am gringo. And make very nasty remarks regarding tourists and residents in my presence. VERY NASTY my friend.

Every months dozens or hundreds of those "ultra-friendly" Dominicans are deported from USA upon serving their prison term for violent or drug related crimes.

Sorry for being in disaccord with the majority. But it is what I personaly see and know.

...that Dominicans (in the DR) are some of the friendliest people around?

I grew up in the States and lived all over the SE, lived in Germany and have traveled much of Europe but I can honestly say after living here 5+ years that Dominicans are consistently by far the most social and friendly people I've ever come across.

I've seen the comments that I'm just a positive guy(which I am) but what does that have to do with how unknown people treat you? Then there is the theory that people are nice to me because they want something but what if I don't give them anything, what excuse do they have to be friendly with me?

I'm currently taking classes at a local university and the cultural differences are fairly evident to me. For example, the atmosphere is much more relaxed here than back in the States. There is even a level of intimacy between the other students and teacher that makes me feel uncomfortable at times. There is too definitely a sense of camaraderie instead of the standard very structured, impersonal and very competitive atmosphere back in the States.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that it's not just me that there are indeed tangible differences between the "West" and the DR in the value given to social interaction... and it probably has something to do with the poor political leadership, streets, etc. :)

BTW, have a good evening.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
But even in the DR. I am very close to many Dominicans. In Boca, in Sosua. So much close that aveces they forget that I am gringo. And make very nasty remarks regarding tourists and residents in my presence. VERY NASTY my friend.

I thought you might have been going somewhere until you mentioned 'your' Dominican Republic. Try and visit the country proper and meet some people proper. If your circles are within Boca and Sosua then no wonder you live in such a negative environment. Your experience if only of these two destinations leaves you in no position to have a relevant opinion of the country and its people.
No offense intended.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is very nice of you to be so positive and enthusiastic. Albeit far from the truth.

It applies only to poor and undereducated. In every country poor are the friendliest. Are you accepted to the rich and elite Dominican circles? You would never say it about affluent Dominicans. On the contrary.
Have you ever witnessed how same "ultra friendly Dominicans" change in NY for instance? How they behave on the road. At work if they get any position of power. When they got money and equal rights they change BIG TIME.

Every months dozens or hundreds of those "ultra-friendly" Dominicans are deported from USA upon serving their prison term for violent or drug related crimes.

Sorry for being in disaccord with the majority. But it is what I personaly see and know.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Nonetheless, one should not expect to be surprised to find wealthy and affluent individuals at graduate school at the most prestigious and expensive university in the country.

Furthermore, I was a member of the only golf course in Santiago where most people make a whole lot more than I ever would in my life and they too were friendly to me.

I think it's quite telling that your experiences revolve around two tourists towns with possibly the worst reputation in the country - and that would be from tourists and gringos alike. I also don't need a gringo to tell me that gringos aren't respected in the tourist area. Dung attracts flies, what can I say.

As far as Dominicans in NY go, I really don't have much of an opinion other than the ones I've met are typical NY'ers, - consistently brash and obnoxious - and they wear it on their sleeve proudly. BTW, Dominicans, "not in the tourist areas", ridicule the Dominicans from NY for their lack of manners too.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I find Dominicans very friendly and that is one of the reasons I keep going there. However, they are not unique in that aspect.

I find most Africans, south/Central Americans or Caribbeans very friendly and social too. I agree with Franck R., it has to do with economics and I also think the sun has something to with it,lol

Everyone bashes European here (and I agree to some extent, heck I am French ;) ), but sorry I visited Italy many times and Italians (and mostly southern Europeans) are also very friendly.

hey, I am very friendly and social, I tend to attract friendly people regardless of nationality.

BTW, have a good day :)

I have no experience in Africa or LA countries but I have met many latinos and I would say I agree.

As far as Italians, there are marginally more social than the Frenchmen imo, and that ain't saying a lot. The most friendly lot(generally speaking) of the Europeans are the Brits inspite of their warm beer and cold eggs (but great football and fish and chips).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just wanted to say that dominicans are everything but THE. neither the nicest not the nastiest. i'd say they are very average. i deal with dominicans on daily basis, from rich to the poor, from educated to illiterate. some are nice, some are nasty.
i have met absolutely great folks in europe too. and some of really crappy too.
maybe i prefer to see DR with a bit of a balance.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think you will find that people tend to be more friendly to foreigners - I do the same when I lived in England, I made a point of being friendlier to forign people , dont know the reason for that.

supermarket staff are on the whole unfriendly in most places, apart from australia where they actually converse with you like you are a normal person, difficult to get your head around isnt it