problems to transfer title of a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGabriela

Aug 15, 2010
www.christ-radloff.com
2 month ago I payed US 500.- for the transfer of a matricula to a well reputated lawyer firm. They promissed me that the work is done in 2 weeks. As I did before the transfers of 2 cars by my own, I know this can be resolved in the promissed time. When I signed the documents, I was just to leave for 4 weeks. The purchase contract was done in the same lawyer office as well. I think the lawyer office should give back the original matricula, in any other country I could ask also a refund of some money for the service I never recieved. But by my weekly visits in this office I have never a chance to speak to anybody else then the reception girl.
Does the Dominican Republic have a official complaint station where I could get some help? It is like a joke, if I have to ask an other lawyer to get back the original matricula, so that the missing work could be finally resolved and I can drive with proper papers!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
An Exeption?

2 month ago I payed US 500.- for the transfer of a matricula to a well reputated lawyer firm.

1. To pay the total amount upfront is never a good idea in this country. :tired:
2. So you found a hairpin in a dung heap? :rolleyes:

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...al-estate-scam-again-rocks-top-tourism-region

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2011/9/26/41061/Thousands-of-lawyers-have-fake-IDs
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...nt-Bar-Association-join-to-purge-fake-lawyers

donP

xGabriela

Aug 15, 2010
www.christ-radloff.com
Thank you donP for the links, but I don?t think that this lawyer office is one of the fake IDs. This is why I payed the whole price at once. The seller of the car was a client for many years at this office, but as he sold everything, they know there is no more business to expect. And also the complaints he sent on my behalf did not help: as I wrote, at all my visits there, only the reception girl speaks with me.
No more business in view - no more interest, this might be the answer.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you donP for the links, but I don?t think that this lawyer office is one of the fake IDs. This is why I payed the whole price at once. The seller of the car was a client for many years at this office, but as he sold everything, they know there is no more business to expect. And also the complaints he sent on my behalf did not help: as I wrote, at all my visits there, only the reception girl speaks with me.
No more business in view - no more interest, this might be the answer.
Post the firm's name here and email them the link to the thread. Providing what you say is exact.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would like to hear the other side of the story some time this year.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I'm surprised Ken hasn't chimed in here. I thought he was the public information officer for Guzman.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Dear fellow DR1'ers:

First of all, please note that this summary was not posted earlier because we were investigating the file, meeting with the client (we will keep her name anonymous) to explain to her what had happened with her file, and most important, making sure that a new registration was issued in her name. Yesterday we obtained the new "matr?cula", which she received today in our Sos?a office.

Now, what happened with this file? The requirements and duration of transfer process for motor vehicle registrations vary depending on several factors, such as who is making the transfer (whether an individual or a corporation), the correctness of the existing ?matr?cula,? etc. In this case of an LLC selling to an individual, the transfer involves the following:

1. Preparation and signing of buyer's power of attorney, the deed of sale, and authentication of the signatures by a Notary Public.
2. Authentication by the Attorney General?s office in Santo Domingo of the Notary?s signature.
3. Preparation and signing of the meeting of the LLC authorizing the sale.
4. Recording of the LLC authorization at the Business Registry.
5. Obtaining a certification from the Stolen Vehicle Division of the National Police ("Plan Piloto") stating that the vehicle status is in order.
6. Filing the documentation at the local tax office ("Direcci?n General de Impuestos Internos" - DGII), payment of transfer taxes and obtaining the new Vehicle Registration in the buyer's name.

Four things went wrong.

First, we tried to avoid having the client take a trip to the ?Plan Piloto? in Santiago and filed for the certification through our contacts there. Unfortunately, as it sometimes happens when dealing with the Police in our country, there were delays.

Second, after finally obtaining the certification from ?Plan Piloto? and filing for the new matr?cula at the tax office, the petition was rejected because, in addition to the meeting of the LLC authorizing the sale, personally signed by the manager of the LLC, the authorities requested a separate authorization from the manager of the LLC to do the transfer. We tried to explain to the officials that this was redundant and unnecessary, which they finally accepted.

Third, after the LLC matter, the petition was rejected again! The reason this time was that the certification from ?Plan Piloto? had stated ?sin color? (no color) as the color for the car (the original matr?cula stated ?otros? (others). We had to go back to the ?Plan Piloto? and obtain an amended certification with the right color of the car. Only then was the petition approved and the new matr?cula issued... on the FOURTH attempt.

Fourth, the associate in charge mishandled the client. She told the client what she wanted to hear without warning her of the possible complications. And worse, she did not communicate properly with the client, even neglecting to set up an appointment with her ?as ordered by our office manual? when she showed up unexpectedly at our office.

For this we have apologized personally to the client, and now we do so publicly. The associate has received a specially severe reprimand.

Status
Not open for further replies.