Reyes being criticized

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Jose Reyes pulled himself from today's game after leading off with a bunt single. That gave him a .337 batting average. Ryan Braun goes into tonight's game at .335 and would need 3 hits/4bats or better to catch Reyes for the National League batting title. The media is tearing him apart.

I see no problem with Reyes pulling himself from today's game with the lead. How does everybody else feel?

May 12, 2005
It cheapens the accomplishment. It's almost like when a team is losing 6-0 and being no hit and a batter in the 9th with 2 outs drops a bunt just to break up the no hitter. There is no reason why he should not have played the rest of the game.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
On the other side, if Reyes went 0 for 4 today and Braun had the lead going into tonights game, Braun would be crazy to risk his lead and play in a meaningless game. Would Braun have pulled himself tonight with the lead?

May 12, 2005
On the other side, if Reyes went 0 for 4 today and Braun had the lead going into tonights game, Braun would be crazy to risk his lead and play in a meaningless game. Would Braun have pulled himself tonight with the lead?

Probably not. Terry Collins, manager of the Mets, said that it was Reyes' decision, and he was not comfortable with it. Just as an FYI, in 1941 Ted Williams was hitting .400 going into the last day of the season. The Red Sox were not making the post season, the Sox were scheduled for a double header, Williams was offered the day off to preserve his .400 average. Williams said no, he was playing and ended up going 6 for 8. Ending the season hitting .406.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Probably not. Terry Collins, manager of the Mets, said that it was Reyes' decision, and he was not comfortable with it. Just as an FYI, in 1941 Ted Williams was hitting .400 going into the last day of the season. The Red Sox were not making the post season, the Sox were scheduled for a double header, Williams was offered the day off to preserve his .400 average. Williams said no, he was playing and ended up going 6 for 8. Ending the season hitting .406.
Except before his first at bat his true average was .39968 which was going to be rounded to .400. He chose to avoid being told he had .400 by rounding. Once he got his first hit, he went to .401 and change he was always above .400 even with making 2 outs.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Great Point.

Good for Reyes, but too bad he did it with only playing 122 games +-
I thought it was a weak move on Reyes part; "bush-league" is the term that comes immediately to my mind.

I think it's emblematic of what the Met's culture has become.

The reward of playing a full game, and either failing or succeeding is a far greater sporting reward than taking a seat to root against your opponent (Braun). Such crap.

How can any real fan of baseball root for someone like that?