WARNING, fraud!

Karpetsky

Sep 27, 2011
www.dominikana.us
Is a criminal scheme to steal vehicles from foreigners:
1. They say that they want to buy your car
2. They say that they want to check the car for steal in police
3. You go with them to the police, they write a statement about the loss of the documents you sign it (You do not know Spanish). Either they get "plan pilota", with this paper they can get a duplicate of your matricula. Then they fake sales contract and get matricula on theirs name.
4. they ask when you will not be in the country ( they need time to find money )
5. pick up your car tow ( or get a loan using as pledge your documents )

As a rule, this scheme involved a lawyer. Documents drawn up to the poor dominican, who have nothing. You can not sue the lawyer because he's just doing his job.

How can I avoid this?

1. Do not let the documents in the hands of strangers.
2. Do not let's make copies of your documents.
3. Do not sign anything until you get the money.
4. Use the lawyers recommended dr1.com

I apologize for my English:)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D@mn straight! Good advice in any language. Do not sweat the language, I understood what you were saying and it is good advice!! Thank you.

HB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Is a criminal scheme to steal vehicles from foreigners:
1. They say that they want to buy your car
2. They say that they want to check the car for steal in police
3. You go with them to the police, they write a statement about the loss of the documents you sign it (You do not know Spanish). Either they get "plan pilota", with this paper they can get a duplicate of your matricula. Then they fake sales contract and get matricula on theirs name.
4. they ask when you will not be in the country ( they need time to find money )
5. pick up your car tow ( or get a loan using as pledge your documents )

As a rule, this scheme involved a lawyer. Documents drawn up to the poor dominican, who have nothing. You can not sue the lawyer because he's just doing his job.

How can I avoid this?

1. Do not let the documents in the hands of strangers.
2. Do not let's make copies of your documents.
3. Do not sign anything until you get the money.
4. Use the lawyers recommended dr1.com

I apologize for my English:)

I would add to that: ... and you understand the document written (in Spanish I presume)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Would you mind translating? I didn't understand completely what he said. Thanks

Someone wants to buy your car.
They want to run a police check, so you go to the police with them.
While there they file a lost document report so the police issue temporary paperwork which you sign for a owner as your Spanish is crap.
With this paperwork they can get duplicate ownership docs issued.
They wait till you are out of the country and steel the car, or get a loan using the duplicate documents.
I can't see how this comes together without the owner being suspect and the names on the duplicates being made to the thief(how does that work), but that is what I made of it.
Near enough?
Hmm, I need a better translation also I think!

Feb 7, 2007
BTW because of frauds, at least here on the East Coast, it's almost impossible to obtain loan with duplicate matricula (it states DUPLICATE). Now, apparently the trick is to "sign" (understand: falsify) a contract between the original owner and new buyer (a poor dominican) and then go to DGII to complete the transfer (you need Plan piloto + Original copy of Original/Duplicate matricula) and after all done DGII approves issuance of a new matricula with new owner's name. Then re-sell or finance...

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
This is what I got out of it!
buyer forges papers (with the right connections)
vin # is the same
now you have two owners for the same vehicle
you leave town
vehicle gone
guess who is gonna get away with this?

am I close?
Manu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This is what I got out of it!
buyer forges papers (with the right connections)
vin # is the same
now you have two owners for the same vehicle
you leave town
vehicle gone
guess who is gonna get away with this?

am I close?
Manu

I hope not as that seems very easy.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
... and what makes you think that you will ever find it
so you can fight for it?
Manu

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Just as a warning. They tried the exact procedure, this week, on a friend of mine in Cabarete. Luckily enough he did not fell for it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They get a loan against the vehicle,then "Chop",(Take apart) the vehicle for parts.
No more evidence!
Sounds "Dominican" to me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"If It Sounds Too Good to be true,
It's probably DOMINICAN!