Tourist Visa for Student

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, (Please read the post entirely before commenting. Please reply ONLY if you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to say RELEVANT to the question. Thanks!!)

My fiancee is a fourth year Psychology student at UTESA with a high GPA. A typical student, she has no assets other than a couple thousand pesos in a bank account. Her sister will be getting married in the US Oct 8. She would like to attend the wedding. Any students out there who have applied for tourist visas??

Is using a visa attorney helpful?? If so, is it better to use a DR or US attorney?? Which law firms in the US or DR are recommended??

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Is the wedding this Oct.8th? I think it would be hard even for the richest Dominican to get a VISA that quick but if its next year, maybe she has a shot

SHALENA

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Kudos!! Great insightful, expert advice.

Is the wedding this Oct.8th? I think it would be hard even for the richest Dominican to get a VISA that quick but if its next year, maybe she has a shot

SHALENA

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Keep in mind when applying for a tourist visa you REALLY have to prove to the Consulate that you have every intention of returning to your country. They will look at your financial situation such as bank acct, property, etc...
You could have her sister write a letter inviting her to the wedding and that she will be financially responsible for her while in the US. Because that is also what they will want to know, who is going to be supporting her while in the US such as lodging, food etc....

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Thanks- some good ideas!!

Keep in mind when applying for a tourist visa you REALLY have to prove to the Consulate that you have every intention of returning to your country. They will look at your financial situation such as bank acct, property, etc...
You could have her sister write a letter inviting her to the wedding and that she will be financially responsible for her while in the US. Because that is also what they will want to know, who is going to be supporting her while in the US such as lodging, food etc....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I doubt that a lawyer would help.

I also doubt that it is doable five just a week. You can try.
Line up the wedding invitation and Class Work (Grades), and you never know, it might work.

Do this request for an appointment NOW. Stop wasting time here.

I do believe that you file everything on-line nowadays.

Good Luck but ???? kind of doubt it.

HB

Jan 9, 2004
Hello, (Please read the post entirely before commenting. Please reply ONLY if you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to say RELEVANT to the question. Thanks!!)

My fiancee is a fourth year Psychology student at UTESA with a high GPA. A typical student, she has no assets other than a couple thousand pesos in a bank account. Her sister will be getting married in the US Oct 8. She would like to attend the wedding. Any students out there who have applied for tourist visas??

Is using a visa attorney helpful?? If so, is it better to use a DR or US attorney?? Which law firms in the US or DR are recommended??

There is far more info to be shared, but as you are just asking for answers relevant to the question:

An experienced immigration attorney is helpful. Preferably one who understands and is licensed to practice US immigration law.

Ask for a recommendation from friends and family in the area where you live. Try to find one that has experience in dealing with Dominicans.

The process takes longer than you think.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
There is one possibility. A J1 visa is for student internships. If your fiancee can quickly find an internship with either a business or school in the US she can apply for a J1 visa. My friend did an exchange as a camp counselor last summer and she got the visa appointment and approval in a few weeks. You need a SEVIS sponsor to guarantee you. She used Interexchange who handled the paperwork and was very reasonable in cost.
For J1 rules: Exchange Visitor Visas
For SEVIS sponsor: InterExchange Work & Travel USA - Passport & Visa Service - New York, NY | Facebook

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Belmont and PlayaCaribe2: The wedding is on the 8th of October!!!

HB
Once my friend had paperwork completed and submitted she was given visa interview in SD in 10 days. Had visa in hand 3 days later. J1's are processed very quickly if using a SEVIS agency, many are non-profits. She used a private agency and had already secured her own job. She is not wealthy but told me the costs were reasonable. It doesn't hurt to try. This is very short notice, call and see what is possible This is the agency she used: How the Career Training USA Program Works Placing International Interns & Trainees | InterExchange

BTW, to qualify for a J1 you must be a current student or have graduated in the past 12 months. Of course the internship must be related to field of study,

Woops, was thinking it was November 8, never mind.

Jan 9, 2004
Belmont and PlayaCaribe2: The wedding is on the 8th of October!!!

HB

I suspected that was the case. But the OP was adamant about only wanting relevant answers to the relevant questions. That was what I gave...with a slight....."this is going to take longer than you think" thrown in for good measure.

Can't blame the OP for attempting to filter out the peripheral noise at the outset, but sometimes you really do not get an accurate answer either.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, I have mad a bit of an error. (Well- more than a bit.) The wedding is Nov 8. I can't believe I wrote Oct 8. Oops. This make things look much, much better, I'd guess.!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You can delete the post if you want to but with 2000 pesos in assets you get no visa of any class at any time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Once my friend had paperwork completed and submitted she was given visa interview in SD in 10 days. Had visa in hand 3 days later. J1's are processed very quickly if using a SEVIS agency, many are non-profits. She used a private agency and had already secured her own job. She is not wealthy but told me the costs were reasonable. It doesn't hurt to try. This is very short notice, call and see what is possible This is the agency she used: How the Career Training USA Program Works Placing International Interns & Trainees | InterExchange

BTW, to qualify for a J1 you must be a current student or have graduated in the past 12 months. Of course the internship must be related to field of study,

Very good info thanks

To the OP,
as someone else said be sure a copy of the wedding invitation is included as well as an invitation by her sister showing where she will be staying. Include as many documents as possible especially anything showing she might be returning to school.

Good luck

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Good Morning Latitude,

I have sent an email to Maria Hernandez from Fabio Guzman's firm. She specializes in immigration & US visas. She has posted many links in the visa forum with information on the different types of visas your friend can apply for. Expect a reply or PM from her in the next 2 days.

Good Luck with the application.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Good Morning Latitude,

I have sent an email to Maria Hernandez from Fabio Guzman's firm. She specializes in immigration & US visas. She has posted many links in the visa forum with information on the different types of visas your friend can apply for. Expect a reply or PM from her in the next 2 days.

Good Luck with the application.
I would not use a lawyer for a J1 as you are going to need a SEVIS sponsor anyway. The SEVIS sponsors do all the paperwork and guarantee your itinerary while in the uS. They have it down to a science. I believe the Interexchange fee that my friend paid was about $700 ( she applied as a camp counselor, student and internship is about $150 more) and that included all the fees to the State Department. If you use a lawyer, they are just going to hook you up with an approved SEVIS agency.