I just bought a scooter, now what do i do??? registration? insurance? etc?

namahs

Oct 3, 2011
Hello,
I just purchased a 50cc scooter in Cabarete. I have been reading some things about registering cars but what do I do to make sure this scooter is registered properly? I do have the title for the scooter in my hands.
Thanks,
Namahs

Nov 25, 2008
First ... always have a copy of the title when you are using the scooter, NEVER the original.

Second... always have a couple of 100's to pay off the AMET/Police when they stop you over.

Third... Where a helmet

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
First ... always have a copy of the title when you are using the scooter, NEVER the original.

Second... always have a couple of 100's to pay off the AMET/Police when they stop you over.

Third... Where a helmet

Agreed, especially on the 2nd note :) All that being said, be careful driving there at night (or anywhere in this country, as the roads - in my opinion - are a bit dodgy at best! Another note is keep the scooter locked up indoors at night if you're at all able to. Although nobody's ever tried to nick our brand new pasola, we were warned by several locals that it's the best thing to do.

Happy Driving!

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
if you give up money the first time then you'll always be a target when their pockets are low.
and buy yourself a lock.i brought 3 cable bike lockes that i bought from walmart.always lock it up and dont be out late driving around drunk.even the best of motorconchos gotten robbed right off duarte in boca chica.
dont make yourself easy prey.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I would start working as a motoconcho taxi, yeah!! You'll make more money than many businesses in Sosua.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I would start working as a motoconcho taxi, yeah!! You'll make more money than many businesses in Sosua.

You continue to help those that want valid information.

Keep the posts coming as your value to this form is important.

Please let me know when you are in Sosua so we can meet face 2 face and we will fix this town !

Please bring an orange!

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
My advice, make sure you have insurance. You can get it at the parts store (can't remember what it is called, but between Cabarete and the Texaco gas station...bright yellow building with usually a few people standing in line holding cheap Chinese parts that need replacing). It was pretty cheap. Like $25 bucks for a year. Bring your title and an ID. It takes a couple of weeks, but they will eventually give you a card to carry with you. It certainly won't cover the actual costs if you actually hit someone\something, but you will at least reduce the risk of being hassled\extorted if something minor happens.

I either rented or owned a bike in Cabarete for 7-8 years, and the only time I had a problem was one year when I happened to be cruising through Sosua when they were doing a helmet crackdown. I (and like 200 others) got scooped up in the net. Their courtyard was full of bikes of all different vintage and functionality. Sea of bikes.

I wasn't wearing my helmet, and got what I deserved. Had to take a motoconcho back to Cabarete to get my helmet (there just HAPPENED to be one there waiting for me!), and I did get a ticket, but I was able to work it out right there at the police station (it was complicated, I tried to pay the officer that was holding my bike, but he refused to take it, said I had to go to city hall, but city hall was closed, so after some discussion he just let me go, and again, refused to take any money, and I tried and tried to give him something, very professional).

And remember the right-of-way rules of Cabarete. Yield to anything bigger than you. Period.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am sorry but I could not help myself this morning.
The first thing you need to do is remove all the lights and mirrors from the scooter.
Second it to put in an extra quart or two of oil for the smoke effect

Again sorry but...

Bob K

namahs

Oct 3, 2011
Thanks Everyone for the great advice! Do I have to transfer the title into my name? Do I have to renew the licence plate every year or is it good forever? I dont even know if the licence plate is good right now.
Thanks again,
Namahs

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Totally wrong (second)
Amet does not accept money.
What? Try telling that to the AMET guy who I came across twice in two weeks - once when I was a driver in Cabarete and once when I was the passenger in a friend's car in Sosua. Minor infractions on both occasions, both quickly dealt with when he took us to a quiet place and accepted cash.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
What? Try telling that to the AMET guy who I came across twice in two weeks - once when I was a driver in Cabarete and once when I was the passenger in a friend's car in Sosua. Minor infractions on both occasions, both quickly dealt with when he took us to a quiet place and accepted cash.

Stop feeding the animals. They become a nuisance real fast.