Gmail Phone: is now charging us from the DR to the States and Canada

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Are there any other free voip alternatives out there for calls to Canada and the States via the Interweb?

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Are there any other free voip alternatives out there for calls to Canada and the States via the Interweb?

Have you tried Skype - works for us!
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Have you tried Skype - works for us!
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Yep I have Skype and my Magic Jack has expired and you have to pay unless computer to computer. Gmail was great because a call land line or cell phone was free and great quality. Gmail ran an advert saying calls to the States and Canada would remain free for the rest of 2011.

Gmail Users to Get Free Phone Calls Through 2011 (Anybody know what happened ?)

Gmail Users to Get Free Phone Calls Through 2011

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't use gmail phone. I have always used google voice phone and it works great. In-coming calls are to google talk (gmail phone).
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so here is the best set-up. get a nice android phone which works on quad band frequencies. have it unlocked to accept dominican sim. Now install an app called groove ip, put in your google voice gmail and password and you are ready to make calls all over usa and canada for free and receive the calls as well to your google voice number. So wherever you have wifi, you have an american number. Anyone calls my google voice number gets to speak to me on my cell phone via wifi.
So I have internet web browser on my android phone (HTC G2), flash light, calaculator, wifi radio which gets me music from all over the world, a nice digital camera and video camera, google phone (free), dominican (claro) phone through sim and wifi Tv (veetle). All fits into my pocket. so i just don't know why so many people are not going this route?
AZB

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks AZB. I'm planning a trip back to Toronto soon and want to check out the Samsung Galaxy and Infuse 4G. Don't know what I'll have to pay unlocked? But read the phones rock! I have got good use out of my Blackberry for the last two years but wouldn't upgrade till the new QNX-based technology arrives next year as the new 9900 is already outdated!

SamsungInfuse4G.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks AZB. I'm planning a trip back to Toronto soon and want to check out the Samsung Galaxy and Infuse 4G. Don't know what I'll have to pay unlocked? But read the phones rock! I have got good use out of my Blackberry for the last two years but wouldn't upgrade till the new QNX-based technology arrives next year as the new 9900 is already outdated!

SamsungInfuse4G.jpg

sansung phones can be unlocked and rooted for free. This is the benefit of having A SAMSUNG. galaxy 2 phones are the best so far.
AZB

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
sansung phones can be unlocked and rooted for free. This is the benefit of having A SAMSUNG. galaxy 2 phones are the best so far.
AZB

I love my samsung galaxyS. if you get one from t-mobile they make you wait 40days after your purchase it to unlock, if you get another phone they make you wait 90days from the previous unlock request.

I use it in d.r. all the time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
NetTALK Duo is a solid, viable alternative. There are threads on DR1 about it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have Google Voice which I use to make calls through my open Chrome browser and Gmail webpage and am making calls to the States for free. I set up my account using a proxy in the States.

Can anyone provide a link from Goggle with the latest official status?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I love my samsung galaxyS. if you get one from t-mobile they make you wait 40days after your purchase it to unlock, if you get another phone they make you wait 90days from the previous unlock request.

I use it in d.r. all the time.
i have rooted and unlocked my brother's galaxy s 4g in 5 minutes, just with 2 one click apps (including download time). No need to wait 90 days.
viva samsung!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
so here is the best set-up. get a nice android phone which works on quad band frequencies. have it unlocked to accept dominican sim. Now install an app called groove ip, put in your google voice gmail and password and you are ready to make calls all over usa and canada for free and receive the calls as well to your google voice number. So wherever you have wifi, you have an american number. Anyone calls my google voice number gets to speak to me on my cell phone via wifi.
So I have internet web browser on my android phone (HTC G2), flash light, calaculator, wifi radio which gets me music from all over the world, a nice digital camera and video camera, google phone (free), dominican (claro) phone through sim and wifi Tv (veetle). All fits into my pocket. so i just don't know why so many people are not going this route?
AZB

AZB, I was given an android phone as a gift this summer. It is an LG Optimus-T. Would your suggestions work on that phone? I checked the specs on it and it is quad band.

Also, how would I go about getting a Google Voice number? I have a gmail address and when I open Google Voice it require a sign-in. When I sign in, I get a history page, but no telephone number to use.

Thanks for your help!

LP

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, I was given an android phone as a gift this summer. It is an LG Optimus-T. Would your suggestions work on that phone? I checked the specs on it and it is quad band.

Also, how would I go about getting a Google Voice number? I have a gmail address and when I open Google Voice it require a sign-in. When I sign in, I get a history page, but no telephone number to use.

Thanks for your help!

LP

its best if you let someone in USA sign up a google voice number for you. once you have the account, then you can use it here.
By the way, Gmail phone does work free. I just made a call and it went through normal. I just don't know what OP did wrong to be getting charged for it.
AZB

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
Unlocked phones

SamsungInfuse4G.jpg

Gringo,

Try factorydirect stores in toronto, they sell the phones that already unlocked - no wait time.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
its best if you let someone in USA sign up a google voice number for you. once you have the account, then you can use it here.
By the way, Gmail phone does work free. I just made a call and it went through normal. I just don't know what OP did wrong to be getting charged for it.
AZB

Thanks, AZB. I happen to be in the US right now, so I can get my own number. I figured out where the link is on the google.com/voice page, found Groove IP in the Android market and and am working on setup.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
AZB

AZB: I'm not 100% sure, but I think that even though the call to the US may be free it does require you to have credits in your google voice account. When I was in The DR I was calling The US via gmail phone, but my son for instance could not. It told him he didn't have enough money in his account. I didn't dig deeper, but I think that may be the issue if it detects you're calling from a different country. I'm sure if you're calling from within the US or through a proxy it doesn't require it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AZB: I'm not 100% sure, but I think that even though the call to the US may be free it does require you to have credits in your google voice account. When I was in The DR I was calling The US via gmail phone, but my son for instance could not. It told him he didn't have enough money in his account. I didn't dig deeper, but I think that may be the issue if it detects you're calling from a different country. I'm sure if you're calling from within the US or through a proxy it doesn't require it.

I have no credit with Google yet am making calls to the States.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have no credit with google and I can make calls for free. I think when you make your gmail account, you have to use american address (location). I do not have an american proxy. I made calls to usa via gmail and they all went through.
AZB