Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Gmail Phone: is now charging us from the DR to the States and Canada

    Are there any other free voip alternatives out there for calls to Canada and the States via the Interweb?

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Are there any other free voip alternatives out there for calls to Canada and the States via the Interweb?
    Have you tried Skype - works for us!
    Tropical Regards
    Ian & Ellie

  3. #3
    The Way Life Should Be...
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What? Really? It's been a few days since I made a call. This is terrible.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reidy620 View Post
    Have you tried Skype - works for us!
    Tropical Regards
    Ian & Ellie
    Yep I have Skype and my Magic Jack has expired and you have to pay unless computer to computer. Gmail was great because a call land line or cell phone was free and great quality. Gmail ran an advert saying calls to the States and Canada would remain free for the rest of 2011.

    Gmail Users to Get Free Phone Calls Through 2011 (Anybody know what happened ?)

    Gmail Users to Get Free Phone Calls Through 2011

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't use gmail phone. I have always used google voice phone and it works great. In-coming calls are to google talk (gmail phone).
    AZB

  6. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    so here is the best set-up. get a nice android phone which works on quad band frequencies. have it unlocked to accept dominican sim. Now install an app called groove ip, put in your google voice gmail and password and you are ready to make calls all over usa and canada for free and receive the calls as well to your google voice number. So wherever you have wifi, you have an american number. Anyone calls my google voice number gets to speak to me on my cell phone via wifi.
    So I have internet web browser on my android phone (HTC G2), flash light, calaculator, wifi radio which gets me music from all over the world, a nice digital camera and video camera, google phone (free), dominican (claro) phone through sim and wifi Tv (veetle). All fits into my pocket. so i just don't know why so many people are not going this route?
    AZB

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks AZB. I'm planning a trip back to Toronto soon and want to check out the Samsung Galaxy and Infuse 4G. Don't know what I'll have to pay unlocked? But read the phones rock! I have got good use out of my Blackberry for the last two years but wouldn't upgrade till the new QNX-based technology arrives next year as the new 9900 is already outdated!


  8. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Thanks AZB. I'm planning a trip back to Toronto soon and want to check out the Samsung Galaxy and Infuse 4G. Don't know what I'll have to pay unlocked? But read the phones rock! I have got good use out of my Blackberry for the last two years but wouldn't upgrade till the new QNX-based technology arrives next year as the new 9900 is already outdated!

    sansung phones can be unlocked and rooted for free. This is the benefit of having A SAMSUNG. galaxy 2 phones are the best so far.
    AZB

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    sansung phones can be unlocked and rooted for free. This is the benefit of having A SAMSUNG. galaxy 2 phones are the best so far.
    AZB
    I love my samsung galaxyS. if you get one from t-mobile they make you wait 40days after your purchase it to unlock, if you get another phone they make you wait 90days from the previous unlock request.

    I use it in d.r. all the time.

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    39,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    NetTALK Duo is a solid, viable alternative. There are threads on DR1 about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •