espaillat motors in puerto plata

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Anyone has bought a car from espaillat motors in puerto plata? or anyone know of this particular location? I am close to a purchase and wanted to know if they were reputable. Any recommendations for dealers in puerto plata? Thanks

Last edited:

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Reputable, yes. I would just do some comparison shopping as far as price is concerned. Puerto Plata tends to have higher prices for expats, and even Dominicans concerning vehicles. Take a trip to Moca or Santiago and do some serious comparison shopping before you purchase. I haven't heard anything negative about them except for price disparities, and that can almost be said about any major purchase in the D.R. Do you have any Dominican friends who you can send there to get the " Dominican " price ( there's always a Dominican and an Expat price on cars or other big ticket items here ) . Then even though buying from a reputable dealer, check and make sure it has a clear title as I know several people who purchased cars even from " reputable " dealers and later learned that these were " washed " titles. It happens here more frequently than you could imagine.

Good luck with your purchase.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Moca has a bigger selection.

I can recommend Turin Motors very highly. Dealt with them, had a problem while under warranty. Fixed it completely. Due to the nature of the problem, I expected to, at least, pay for the labour. Final cost to me 0.00. He even left my keys with the weekend guard so I could pick up the truck on a Sunday. BUT, wherever you buy. DO A CARFAX. When I was shopping, I did several on various SUV's I was interested in. The results where surprising.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I can recommend Turin Motors very highly. Dealt with them, had a problem while under warranty. Fixed it completely. Due to the nature of the problem, I expected to, at least, pay for the labour. Final cost to me 0.00. He even left my keys with the weekend guard so I could pick up the truck on a Sunday. BUT, wherever you buy. DO A CARFAX. When I was shopping, I did several on various SUV's I was interested in. The results where surprising.

Great Advice.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have to disagree on Turin Motors and would never ever ever ever buy a car from them. Do check Car Fax is well worth the $20 registration fee. We found cars we were looking at had the odometers turned back 100,000 miles and many had either junk or salvage titles in tthe US. Your best bet may be to look at an Expat who is leaving or trading up and has a used car to sell that he either bought new or imported himself from the US or elsewhere.

Bob K

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for the info! Its been tough to find something that I consider good bang for the buck, even by DR standards, and along with Puerto Plata I have gone to Santiago dealers. BTW Autochecks's (better than Carfax) that I ran were rolled back by over 60,000 miles on average

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Rolling back the odometer seems to be the norm but that being said rebuilding a motor is super cheap here and for popular models can be done for US1500 or less easily.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rolling back the odometer seems to be the norm but that being said rebuilding a motor is super cheap here and for popular models can be done for US1500 or less easily.
I seriously question the machining of a rebuild here.

They will take out parts and replace them, but machining and balancing? Not so much. I had a mechanic tell me he just puts bigger rings on the old pistons in a rebuild.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I seriously question the machining of a rebuild here.

They will take out parts and replace them, but machining and balancing? Not so much. I had a mechanic tell me he just puts bigger rings on the old pistons in a rebuild.

They do have the machining equipment and the knowhow to do it so the best bet is to get someone reputable. As far as balancing goes I understand that that is an additional cost back in the States - at least from what I remember of the engines I had rebuilt.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

if the motor can, in fact, be rebuilt. my buddy just paid 70 large for a 2005 Highlander motor, plus 7 grand to instal it. cheap by US standards on the labor end, but still a stiff piece of change. as to Carfax...it only works if the data is entered. so, a self insured car can be a total loss, but, since there is no notification to an insurance carrier, Carfax will never know. lastly, the washing has to be taking place here, because title washing has just about been eradicated in the US these days.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
"Do check Car Fax is well worth the $20 registration fee. We found cars we were looking at had the odometers turned back 100,000 miles and many had either junk or salvage titles in tthe US. Your best bet may be to look at an Expat who is leaving or trading up and has a used car to sell that he either bought new or imported himself from the US or elsewhere."
Bob K"

Good advice