Thoughts on Bella Vista?

UGACHRIS

Jan 31, 2010
Me and the wifey are moving soon, her family lives their and has a few businesses near by. Every time I visit I fall in love. It seems like a ddecent place to live.

Thoughts??

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thoughts? It is another part of the city, you can't walk 2 blocks in the cap without having to walk through a dumpend barrio so really nice areas are few and far between. But you have good access to everything, and so from that perspective it is a better area. I fail to see how someone can fall in love with anywhere in the cap, but yes, it is a nicer zone.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I used to live off lincoln, Zona Universitaria, Miramar and Gazcue over about 3 years, I don't like or live in the city anymore.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
los cacicazgo

I used to live off lincoln, Zona Universitaria, Miramar and Gazcue over about 3 years, I don't like or live in the city anymore.

Anastacio,I thought that los cacicazgos was surrounded by other nicer areas,so in a sense,th might not to be near any dumps.This I read in the forum,haven't observed this myself.Is it true? Also somebody mentioned that gazcue has some shady parts

shodgson

Nov 11, 2010
I like Bella Vista. I live there now (about two blocks from the mall). They are also building a new Body Shop gym here, which just opened. There is a lot of construction currently in the area, as new apartment buildings are replacing the old houses that were here before.

This area is definitely an area in transition, from older residential into newer apartments/condos. I've never had any problems with the people around here and like the community feel (especially at the Dume's on Defillo and Cesar Augusto Roque, which is beside my apartment).

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anastacio,I thought that los cacicazgos was surrounded by other nicer areas,so in a sense,th might not to be near any dumps.This I read in the forum,haven't observed this myself.Is it true? Also somebody mentioned that gazcue has some shady parts

There are nice spots all over the city, my point was simply that my issue with the city is that you are never far from a shady area, you can't get from A to B without having to venture through a dump, but maybe you can say that about most or even all cities. I couldn't find a place I flt completely comfortable in in my time living there, I think Zona Universitaria was the safest and nicest place I lived, but then I think it has more security and police then anywhere else in the city and so very little crime goes on there, even there though, dumpster barrio on the other side of the road. I never have been much of a city guy though and so I'm probably throwing more negative vibes than I really need to.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Los Casicasgos" is a great area.Lots of small,"Older" apartments,and newer "Highrise".Private homes in the area.Supermarkets,shopping centers,and "NOT" surrounded by "Slums"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There are nice spots all over the city, my point was simply that my issue with the city is that you are never far from a shady area, you can't get from A to B without having to venture through a dump, but maybe you can say that about most or even all cities. I couldn't find a place I flt completely comfortable in in my time living there, I think Zona Universitaria was the safest and nicest place I lived, but then I think it has more security and police then anywhere else in the city and so very little crime goes on there, even there though, dumpster barrio on the other side of the road. I never have been much of a city guy though and so I'm probably throwing more negative vibes than I really need to.

Sorry but the same can be said for 99% of the developed world... With some notable exceptions alone...

I guess not being a "city" type of guy does provide for all the extra negativity posted...

SD is the oldest city in the Dominican Republic and if we take the developmental timeline to task, it really hasn't been more than 25 years ago when real city-like development took over.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Cities are always moving and changing, some find that fascinating, others hate it.

I use to live for 15 years in a small provincial town. If I went left out of my street, I was in Morocco. If I went right out, I was in Turkey, behind my street was one of the oldest settlements of the town and a real dump.
One day the town administration decided that they wanted to restore the old wall that surrounded the city in the dark ages. In 5 years time the old dump was renovated into its original state being a Beguinage with rentals for families with kids, the ugly social high blocks in the Moroccon and Turkish section were torn down and replaced by simple not so high modern blocks and some of the original inhabitants staid and others went away.
Streets were paved, parks were restored, restauration of some really old remains of the old wall were done and got a function...what a difference. I liked it before except for the dump and I like it afterwards. Guess I am a city girl :)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You obviously don't know Bella Vista. You have to walk a helluva lot more than 2 blocks to find a barrio in Bella Vista. I lived there for a while, and really liked it.

Obviously not, I only worked on Sarasota for over 2 years and walked, cabbed, drove and conchoed through the area 6 days a week on various routes depending on traffic, I know the area well enough I'd say.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I work and live in bella vista and it's a great place. It's in close proximity to alot of resources - body shops/ mall/ computer stores/ churches just mention anything and i'll point you to the exact location!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tropical and Miramar are the main neighborhoods, and they're made up of Mar Azul, Dominicanos Ausentes, Beta, Solimar, Nordesa III, Valezcasa, Costa Caribe among others..

On the north side of Independence, it's Jardines del Sur and Buenos Aires..

Now there's a man who knows SD. I doubt many Dominicans who live in the capital could have answered that as well....

AE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Tropical and Miramar are the main neighborhoods, and they're made up of Mar Azul, Dominicanos Ausentes, Beta, Solimar, Nordesa III, Valezcasa, Costa Caribe among others..

On the north side of Independence, it's Jardines del Sur and Buenos Aires..

Thanks, I was visiting a house , right turn just after the Swiss restaurant ( wooden A frame style front) - amazingly quiet and nice, not big but I'm sure pricey.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're right Bob, it's nice and pretty quiet. We've stayed in Miramar several times, and my husband's brother owns a house in Jardines del Sur where we often go - peaceful and safe.

AE

Danny LaClave

Oct 10, 2011
There are a few areas far from "shady" ones, as Anastacio said: Los Cacicazgos, Piantini, Naco, Esperilla, Paraiso, Rosmil, ans so on.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Um... which Swiss Restuarant? There's two. One is next to the university, the other is much further west.

Either area is fairly quiet.

Most of the folks that live between 30 de mayo and Ave. Independence are long term residents. It's very seldom that you'll find houses for rent there. (there are a couple of 4 story apartment buildings there with apartments for sale and rent. Just look for building with rust stains on them.. hard to miss)

The one next to the University.