Bringing down seeds, availability and cost of seeds

believer

Oct 12, 2005
Hello Everyone

Coming down to do a gardening project wondering about the safety, easiness or difficulty of bringing vegetable seeds into Puerto Plata.

Alternatively would like to have some idea of the cost/availability of seeds if its a better option and how far I might have to go to find some from Sosua. I don't remember seeing racks of seeds when I was there though maybe that is because I wan't focused on it at the time.

Thanks

Aug 21, 2007
Las Sirena, Puerto Plata, has seeds. They are available at viveros as well. You might have better luck with production by getting them here. My experience is that seeds I brought from North America were not properly tropicalized and did not flourish.

Good luck growing!

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i confirm la sirena. the seeds are in the far end of the shop with paints and lightbulbs. about 40 pesos for a bag, both veggies and flowers.
i have tried to grow some stuff here and everything died. no, wait, i planted mango stones, that worked. so far.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Seeds Online

So far I had more success with seeds from Europe or the US. Although the local "Tropical" brand is said to be good, some sorts did not germinate at all.
As seeds are lightweight I usually buy them online and then stick to the ones which do best.
High top soil temperature, ants, crickets and mice are the enemies....

donP

believer

Oct 12, 2005
THanks so much for your replies. I will both bring some and buy some. My friends tomatoe plants there are 10 feet high and dripping with fruit. It's all in the black earth!

I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty bringing them into the country.

Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
believer, we bring lots of seeds every trip, never have had a problem. We've seen seed packets in stores in DR, but not even close to the selection we have in the US.

AE

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
A year or so ago I bought a pkg of zucchini seeds at Americana hardware in Santo Domingo. They never even sprouted!

Was there ever anyone who could NOT grow zucchini??? :)