Is the Meeting Place still open?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is the Meeting Place bookshop in Puerto Plata still open? I've been trying to contact them via e-mail for several weeks but there is no reply.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've sent messages to both e-mail addresses, the English Books one and the owner's personal address. I hope that Ginnie's adage about it not being the natives one has to be wary of, but fellow expats, is not going be proved correct once again.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
They sent me an emailed newsletter about a month ago. Don't know for sure if they're still around.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
The owners are a Canadian couple from Montreal. I used to work with their son. I'll see if it's possible to get in touch with him via email and provide a status update.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Please do, all my messages have gone unanswered so I hope nothing has happened to them.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Drove past it this morning at about 11:45AM. It was all closed up. All shutters were shut. No parking was available so I did not stop but did not see any kind of notice on the front door.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I received a reply at last - possibly thanks to this thread. I'll ask them whether closure is temporary.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
As follow up, I got in touch with the owners of The Meeting Place through their son... and received an email this morning and this what they had to say " Yes, we are still in operation. During the off-season we have a few less activities but the theatre, a camp, and the bookstore is still in operation. Our email is info@MeetingPlacePuertoPlata.com. I know that we have had a problem with an over zealous spam box in the email account and some emails were sent there by mistake. I am checking into this. Thanks for letting us know."

I would suggest that you try resending your emails and now that they're aware of the issue, they will probably be looking into it.