Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

sent you a message, you cannot change the title but I can.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The previous title was more captivating...it should have been left as "prison cells for infants at garden school"

3. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can agree with the OP in her concern for poor conditions and I understand how the confusion, semantics involved, came about.

You should see "El Nido" here in Santiago, look at the cost (about RD$5000 a month) and see what they offer, how they offer it, and then compare that to whatever you are getting anywhere else.

What the **** is the use of living in paradise if you are actually traumatizing your young children.

If any of you want to go to Nido, let me know and I will show you how to get there!!

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So can someone answer who are sending their kids there if it is this bad. Expats, natives, who? By your post HB I take it expats are, but I find it tough to swallow expats would accept anything less than ideal here, in context to where we are.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope this thread would be informational for the parents but we still feel ashamed to continue posting... Those who can provide valuable details from their experience at Garden Kids International School in Sosua, please post away. Sorry again and God Bless Our Children!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Private schools in the DR are for profit. They are a money making business first and schools second. Most are better than the DR public schools but they are not on level with schools in Europe or the US. One possible exception is Carol Morgan school in Santo Domingo but its very very expensive.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Private schools in the DR are for profit. They are a money making business first and schools second. Most are better than the DR public schools but they are not on level with schools in Europe or the US. One possible exception is Carol Morgan school in Santo Domingo but its very very expensive.
    My wife's school in most ways is below the levels of European and north American schools except probably math. My sister-in-laws, one a math teacher from Cuba, and the other a just retired elementary school teacher and child psychologist from Kingston Ontario have both been impressed with the level of education my wife is able to achieve with little resources. She makes so little money I liken it to a make work project. With her, it is education before profit. Her rates have actually gone down over the past three years and she now produces the majority of the textbook's to further lessen the burden to the parents. Hers is a non-religious school but many of the religious schools also do not make much of a profit. New Horizons in Santo Domingo, Abraham Lincoln in La Romana, St George in SD, and Santiago Christian School are all on a par with Carol Morgan.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I can agree with the OP in her concern for poor conditions and I understand how the confusion, semantics involved, came about.

You should see "El Nido" here in Santiago, look at the cost (about RD$5000 a month) and see what they offer, how they offer it, and then compare that to whatever you are getting anywhere else.

What the **** is the use of living in paradise if you are actually traumatizing your young children.

If any of you want to go to Nido, let me know and I will show you how to get there!!

HB
    I m curious man, I REALLY wanna know what you think.

I was in Mao yesterday and my friends daughter is 8 years old in the 7th grade. And I was looking over her homework. The teacher wrote it out by hand. "Sentro por los Nines" And in the homework she(the teacher) wrote many of the words that should have been spelled with Ms with Ns. This is the teacher who is illiterate. This is putting on airs to the highest degree, I am going to promote an 8 year old girl to the 7th grade only to be instructed by a teacher who cant spell half of the words, in her own language correctly, on the homework she assigned?
    This is a disadvantage to this girl who under general notions could be led to believe she is incredibly smart, and she may be. But if she is incredibly smart with improper instruction then what is she really?

10. Likes SKing liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people this because it happened in a"prestigious" bilingual school in Santiago that I paid almost 10,000rd per month per child.
    My son was in Kinder and his teacher sent him home a sheet for him to copy the sentences that she had written...one of the sentences read....

THE BALL IS MY

Really?!? Prestigious bilingual school??? And it wasn't even 7thgrade, it was KINDERGARTEN!!

SHALENA

12. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    I always tell people this because it happened in a"prestigious" bilingual school in Santiago that I paid almost 10,000rd per month per child.
    My son was in Kinder and his teacher sent him home a sheet for him to copy the sentences that she had written...one of the sentences read....

THE BALL IS MY

Really?!? Prestigious bilingual school??? And it wasn't even 7thgrade, it was KINDERGARTEN!!

SHALENA
    Yea, thats my point. Where in the Spanish speaking world can you exchange Cs for Ss in words? How does this help the child learn if she cannot find a definition of the word you used because her teacher wrote it incorrectly?
    See, I had my camera and I should have taken a photo of her homework so you can see what I am talking about. Now this is the Spanish language homework. I think she takes English also, I KNOW she takes French. But if the professor doesnt even know Spanish that well I am surely convinced that her English is atrocious and her French may be highly erroneous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast