PLD and PRD and the upcoming Presidential election

Apr 13, 2011
This is the first Dominican Republic Presidential race that I have tried to follow. I have been married to my Dominicana wife for a year and a half now, so obviously my interest in Dominican politics is higher now. But - my wife does not have enough of an understanding of US politics to give me a good comparison to the DR. And - I can not find enough background info when I try to follow the articles in the newspapers. I need a little Dominican Republic politics 101. I have read a number of books on the history of the DR, but those do not help me understand the political parties and the most recent political situations. I am looking for any help in learning a little more about DR politics, especially in relation to the upcoming presidential election in the Dominican Republic. Even just telling me your understanding as an expat looking at the local politics - or as a local Dominican that has some understanding of US politics - either/both would probably give me a good comparison to help me start to understand more.
And I do mean, start at the 101 level. For example, today, are there core differences between the political parties? My comparison would be to the Democrats and Republicans in the US...
What are the next steps in the election process leading up to May 2012? For example, the US has not even had the primaries yet...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are no real ideological differences. If you read their histories, both main parties have their roots in the left, or at least in the opposition to the Trujillo dictatorship - their leadership, membership and supporters spanned a wide ideological spectrum. The PLD was founded by Juan Bosch when he left the PRD.

But these days it is totally about personalities and allegiances and not really about ideas or programmes. Both parties promise the same things. The deciding factor for the voter is how they will personally benefit by supporting one or other. From the campesino who is promised a new zinc roof to the active supporter who will get a "botella" (a salary from the government without actually having to report for work) and the wealthy businessman who will get lucrative contracts or other rewards in return for financing.

Not to say this is the only place where this happens - it's just particularly blatant.

They've already had their primaries. The PRD chose Hip?lito Mej?a (president 2000-2004) and the PLD Danilo Medina. Both had been trounced in previous presidential elections (Mej?a in 2004 and Medina in 2000) yet their parties in their wisdom decide to let them stand again.

Apr 13, 2011
Ok - I guess that is why I was finding it hard to follow, because I was not seeing much of a difference in any of their "promises" or approaches to solving government issues, other than the two candidates are different personalities. Though, there does seem to be some extreme opinions on the two different personalities and what they would be like in office.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, they will both vow to end corruption, assign more money to education, social programmes, health, create jobs for all. If they are judged by anything it will be on their or their party's previous record in power. This should not bode well for Mej?a whose 2000-2004 term was a disaster, but the PRD has always had a larger supporter base and the word on the street is that the big money is behind them this time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No difference, they just argue over who gets to pillage the treasury and rape the people.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
PLD- COME SOLO - EAT ALONE
PRD- COME TODO - EAT EVERYTHING
My take - the PLD are a little more crafty at how they steal your money and a little more progressive when it comes to infrastructure. PRD is a lot more blatant and crude.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My take - the PLD are a little more crafty at how they steal your money and a little more progressive when it comes to infrastructure. PRD is a lot more blatant and crude.
Mine too - and my husband asks me whether I prefer "ladrones finos". It would be interesting to see a comparison in terms of how much each party has succeeded in stealing - and whether the PLD's supposed superior brainpower also means they have been more efficient at that task.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
It's a win win for the gringos one way it stays the same as it is now or the other way when your dollar is worth 200 pesos. like I say for gringos it's a win win

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009

i never quite got were the come solo thing was coming from. what exactly is the difference of the prd and pld approach to dividing the spoils of being in power?

jeviduty

Jul 1, 2011

Also my view. I like to say the PRD cant even organize itself to steal.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The PRD with Mejia were so bad last time but there are many voters who forget .My view is that if Mejia wins the US dollar will very quickly buy 50 pesos and there will be massive problems with the economy as it will cosat so much more to repay the international loans .The PLD has been having massive marches already in the east and in the capital and I am sure Danilo is a much better bet for the country than is Mejia but the standard of candidates at all levels here is appalling and it seems integrity is an unknown word .

Apr 13, 2011
DR1 has a news article with a poll showing Hipolito still leading. 1. Is Danilo making up enough ground that it will be a close race? 2. If Hipolito wins, many people say the exchange rate will go up, for example 50 to 1, but how long will it take for other items to go up in cost like food, gas, rents, etc?

Jul 4, 2010
Danilo is a good guy, he's a Seventh Day Adventist, a God fearing Christian. However, he can't do much for the country, except enrich his own fellow party members. The PLD is an insatiable mafia whose members swear to serve their party first before their own country. The PLD is an exclusive and eletist bunch that has become corrupted in government.

May 12, 2005
Danilo is a good guy, he's a Seventh Day Adventist, a God fearing Christian. However, he can't do much for the country, except enrich his own fellow party members. The PLD is an insatiable mafia whose members swear to serve their party first before their own country. The PLD is an exclusive and eletist bunch that has become corrupted in government.

And this makes them different from PRD and others how?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The biggest issue I have with Hipolito as of right now, is that he seems to be advocating protectionism.

He already said that the DR-CAFTA agreement will be reviewed and possibly pulling the country out of it. During his trip to Puerto Rico, I think it was in August, he said that imports have to come down one way or another; plus, businessmen from Central America "can't come here and do whatever they want," which should be understood as offering Dominicans better products for less money than local producers are able or willing to do.

This is not good.

Jul 4, 2010
The biggest issue I have with Hipolito as of right now, is that he seems to be advocating protectionism.

He already said that the DR-CAFTA agreement will be reviewed and possibly pulling the country out of it. During his trip to Puerto Rico, I think it was in August, he said that imports have to come down one way or another; plus, businessmen from Central America "can't come here and do whatever they want," which should be understood as offering Dominicans better products for less money than local producers are able or willing to do.

This is not good.

NALs, a good measure of protectionism is necessary to revert the high unemployment rate. Actually, protectionism already exists, in selected industries. I remember when there were about 200 footwear manufacturing plants in the DR, before imports were liberalized, and then there were none, along with thousands of jobs.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009

This is not good.

would he be able to do that though?