Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominican Oregano

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Oregano

First time in all my travels that we've had a bag pulled by Dominican customs when leaving. We had a checked bag pulled at Puerta Plata and examined. Of course the fact that we had ten lbs of Dominican Oregano and twenty lbs of coffee is the reason they looked. In the end it was a humourous situation with about 30 others tourists wondering where we got such wonderful Oregano and the Dominican Custons Inspector getting a little to take home. He said they catch a lot of tourists and Dominicans with Drugs.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The oregano prolly looked like ganja...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly did, sticks and all. Whole airport smelled great for a little while.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, lucky CFIA didn't make a fuss. Happy Thanksgiving!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully understand the 20 pounds of coffee, we bring at least that much every trip, but 10 pounds of oregano????? Geesh, that would last 3 lifetimes! What do you DO with that much??? Curious minds wanna know.....

AE
    Okay, I'm nosy....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We brough some back for neighbours and co-workers and my mother-in-law uses it extensively in cooking. That ten lbs cost us 300 pesos, and a small container here is $4.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you don't mean 10oz? 10lbs of oregano would fill a large suitcase!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, if you run out, I will send you some, oregano is a weed in our garden. Harvesting tomorrow.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaLouve View Post
    Bob, if you run out, I will send you some, oregano is a weed in our garden. Harvesting tomorrow.
    About five years ago I planted a small oregano plant in a corner of our garden. Lordy, that stuff is as bad as mint, it takes over and spreads everywhere, more and more each year. You can't get rid of it. My husband grumbles every Spring when it's time to plant the garden.

AE

10. Likes LaLouve liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I know AE, I offer it to all the neighbours, unfortunately, they have bad taste and do not use herbs at all. I grumble since hubby is the gardener and the botanist, but oregano was my idea when we bought the house, a real jungle now. Oh, well less grass to cut :-) Maņana harvest of parsley, rosemary, basil and thyme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast