Pimp Daddy transmission repair experience - cienfuego

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is a peek into a typical Dominican (barrio) manual (stick-shift) transmission rebuilt/repair shop. The name of the business ?el vive bien? (he lives well). The owner is simply known as, ?vive bien?. I must say, he is one of a kind fellow. The repair shop was recommended to me by another repair shop who specialize in automatic transmission repair. Since they didn?t handle manual transmission so they sent me to him. There is no defined address for this place and no visible sign anywhere. All I was told to do was to go to cienfuego area in Santiago and ask for the transmission repair of ?el vive bien? or simply, ?vive bien?. Since I had seen his ?one of a kind? pimp mobile in Santiago streets, I kind of knew what to expect from him. What I didn?t know was that he was a celebrity in his neighborhood. Everyone knew who he was and I was sent to his shop in short time. The street (callejon) has to be physically pointed to you or else, you will never imagine a transmission repair facility is there. Once I saw the place, I could have sworn a bomb had gone off inside. But if you stay clear of their way and see the boys in action, all will come clear to you and you will eventually see the order in all of the disorder. The guys work fast as Mr. vive bien is right on top of their shoulders looking after the repairs. They have a pile of all the parts you can imagine and will ever need. The guys have keen knowledge of every transmission ever built. They strictly repair manual transmission and differentials of all sorts of vehicles. I was shocked to see transmissions being taken off the back of pick-up trucks and unassembled and restored with new parts in no more than an hour. This means, if you bring them a transmission, they will rebuild it right there and then, while you wait. I mean the speed is amazing and all parts are available. Then after talking to the owner a bit, while he shows off his pimp mobile, I was told that almost all the major repair work-shops in Santiago area and nearby cities, bring their transmission to be rebuild by him. The same fancy repair shops then turn around and charge premium prices to their customers.
My 1990 tercel?s transmission was repaired while I waited. My 5th gear would come out of gear and go to neutral while I accelerated on highway. They simply opened up the side of the transmission and pulled out a gear / bearing assembly replaced it with new parts and boom, I was ready to roll. The whole job cost me 2000 pesos and I left satisfied.
2aflvgx.jpg

157yvpd.jpg

df7jfm.jpg

v8q535.jpg

Now the pimp mobile
2j64umu.jpg

fof039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sqmcmv.jpg

34r7xo9.jpg

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gsWU8Wf0kmA?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The man takes pride in his work and in his pimp mobile. I can't take that away from him. He is fair and efficient in his business. No wonder he had a ton of work, even on Saturday. he is the owner of all the houses on the small narrow street and has some sort of business installed in every house. The shop is spread out among like 6 houses. Each place does something different.
I would not take a mercedes or BMW to him but if you have an old car, then he is the man to seek for repairs.
Judging from the art-work on his jeep, I was expecting he would blast el cieguito de nagua or fefita la vieja etc but he surprised me with his musical choice. Hahaha. I guess you just can't judge a person by his car.
AZB

Last edited:

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
actually, I am more impressed with you
picking up all the hot chicks with a Toyota Tercel lol
Manu

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
actually, I am more impressed with you
picking up all the hot chicks with a Toyota Tercel lol
Manu
thats my back-up car, I have 2. This car is used to go to beach from the tourist road, which is quite bad. My camry is just too low for that road.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just a side note:
all these pictures and video is taken by my android phone. now with the technical advancements on smart-phones, we all can act like investigative reporters in our spare time. Expect more videos and pictures to come in near future.
You people ask, how is it that AZB knows so much about barrio culture? now you have your answer. barrios have some of the best things, this country has to offer. hahahaha, I just don't live there but I do peek in for cheap repair.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow!

I'd like to know his system for keeping track of the bazillion of small parts, lock washers, rings, gaskets, etc., inherit in any tramsmission....

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea man like I said, 5th gear assembly. 1.5 hours labor and 60 Euros was the price I got off the internet. It is on the back of the case so the transmission can stay in the car.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yea man like I said, 5th gear assembly. 1.5 hours labor and 60 Euros was the price I got off the internet. It is on the back of the case so the transmission can stay in the car.

Racerx, you are the man. You knew exactly what was wrong with the car so i knew what to expect from the guys when they checked my car. I just didn't know the name of the part in spanish. But we were on the same page when they told me what to do. i sort of knew, before hand, the transmission didn't have to come off if the problem was only in 5th gear. Thanks god the 3rd was just fine. I thought the 3rd was also doing the same.
Too bad racerx, we don't have professional mechanics like you here in santiago, Then again, you will go broke before you will ever take off here. santiago is a dead city for operating any business.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Racerx, you are the man. You knew exactly what was wrong with the car so i knew what to expect from the guys when they checked my car. I just didn't know the name of the part in spanish. But we were on the same page when they told me what to do. i sort of knew, before hand, the transmission didn't have to come off if the problem was only in 5th gear. Thanks god the 3rd was just fine. I thought the 3rd was also doing the same.
Too bad racerx, we don't have professional mechanics like you here in santiago, Then again, you will go broke before you will ever take off here. santiago is a dead city for operating any business.
AZB

Yea, I know. That sucks. My problem is that gear and syncronizer is the same word in spanish but different parts in english. But I d like his operation somewhat. I couldnt work with other people because I doubt the quality of their work if not supervised. But like I said, trannys are a very profitable business, thats why El Vive Bien.

This guy has an ugly ass truck I know that. Tacky! to the 4th degree. It looks like something you see at a carnival.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
AZB, is that the same car the tranny went out in way back in 2002 on your way out to our place in the mountains near Guananico? Cars just don't die in the DR. Someone can always repair them and when you think you can't get another mile out of it, someone will turn it into a publico!

Nice to hear some things never change!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, is that the same car the tranny went out in way back in 2002 on your way out to our place in the mountains near Guananico? Cars just don't die in the DR. Someone can always repair them and when you think you can't get another mile out of it, someone will turn it into a publico!

Nice to hear some things never change!
yes the same car but completely redone.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This guy has an ugly ass truck I know that. Tacky! to the 4th degree. It looks like something you see at a carnival.

If you meet the guy then you would understand why he made his jeep this way.
yes, it's a circus on wheels but he sure takes pride in his car. He is seen blasting music on weekends on the streets of santiago with a brugal bottle in hand and a woman on the side. Hahaha. I will not put him down, he helped me.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
yes, it's a circus on wheels but he sure takes pride in his car. He is seen blasting music on weekends on the streets of santiago with a brugal bottle in hand and a woman on the side. Hahaha. I will not put him down, he helped me.
AZB

now that is one thing you do need that he can hoook you up with. That Toyota needs a radio. Now he can hook you up with all that fiberglass body work for speaker enclosures and what not or just something simple a CD player and ONLY 10 speakers.

He may be good but thats a flipping clown car, man. Thats like a Shriners Boom box on wheels.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
AZB

now that is one thing you do need that he can hoook you up with. That Toyota needs a radio. Now he can hook you up with all that fiberglass body work for speaker enclosures and what not or just something simple a CD player and ONLY 10 speakers.

He may be good but thats a flipping clown car, man. Thats like a Shriners Boom box on wheels.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That Dude gonna be happy today, man, the prez is gonna be in Cienfuegos talking to the peoples....He can put that pimpmobile to blasting some good vibes and preparing the peoples for the Lion's visit!!! ^5:00 p.m. folks, take the kiddies, free everything from the prez and his peoples....

Really,

HB