What kind of wedding can I have with 76,000 pesos

Status
Not open for further replies.

shy123

Jan 15, 2011
I'm planning to get married over there in two years and I'm not sure how much you need to have to get the kind of wedding you would get in New York for 32,000 dollars. I doubt I would spend 32,000 but I am aiming for a big wedding.

Thank you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure what you are asking. 76,000 pesos is about US$2000 at present rate of exchange.

I can't imagine anyone spending US$32,000 on a wedding anywhere, but in the DR at present that is close to 1.25 million pesos.

More important if you get married here is making sure it is legal. There was a thread recently with statistics showing that 75% of the weddings here in past were not legal and not registered because the person doing the ceremony was not legally authorized to do so.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In pesos? Not much. Maybe 20 guests, small, out of the way church, not much decoration, a family member doing the video and photoshoot.

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
In pesos? Not much. Maybe 20 guests, small, out of the way church, not much decoration, a family member doing the video and photoshoot.

HB

Sounds perfect to me. You wouldnt want more than that anyhow. Keeps the freeloading to a minimum...if it actually happens.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm planning to get married over there in two years and I'm not sure how much you need to have to get the kind of wedding you would get in New York for 32,000 dollars. I doubt I would spend 32,000 but I am aiming for a big wedding.

Thank you

Couple of questions? Are you American marrying a Dominican? American marrying an American? Dominican marrying a Dominican?

Big difference between a $32,000 NY wedding [note to Ken, that's not even a little extravagant by NY/NJ standards] and a $2,000 Dominican wedding - did you leave off some numbers in your peso calculation?

AE

shy123

Jan 15, 2011
I'm a Dominican citizen living in NY getting married to another Dominican citizen living in DR. I am not actually going to spend 2,000 dollars for a wedding I am just asking because that is what i have saved to this day. I find a 32,000-36,000 wedding is a big wedding in NY for 120 people. I just wanted to see what kind of wedding you would get for that amount.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm glad you clarified that, no sanky panky, just two Dominicans in love. Congratulations.

A lot will depend on where you're planning to have the wedding - SD? Santiago? PC? POP? I think you're smart to start planning and saving now.

We have several DR1 members who have gotten married in DR, one who's planning a wedding [in Santiago I believe] to a Dominican girl, and one who's planning a wedding in Punta Cana [two Americans I believe], so hopefully some of them will either post here or PM you with information.

AE

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Congratulations on the wedding!

I was married in Playa Dorada (in it's former glory, whatever that was ;) ) back in 2005. You can easily go with an all-inclusive resort and get a 'honeymoon package' for you and your soon-to-be-husband (this'll give you a couple freebies and gifts) and have the Guest Service team set up a simple gazebo, etc. on the beach if that's to your liking.
Local DR guests you can pay for evening or day passes, which isn't much per person (varies dependant on resort) and then you only have to think about the food. I mean, you could book you all in for an included 'a la carte' restaurant, or pay a little extra for a super special dinner of steak or lobster, etc.

I, too, don't fully understand what you mean when you talk about rates (DR pesos or USD, and how much in which currency are you willing to pay??)

Frankly, having been married and divorced (and now engaged again ;) ) I'd say skip the fussy things like too much decor and go with the experience....family, great food and a beautiful setting!

Also, just a total side note: most airlines will allow something like a wedding dress, etc., be packed as separate luggage for free (so if you can take one suitcase free, usually the dress will be, too, and they can hang it for you up in the front cabin safe and sound :) Just adding that in!

Happy planning and congrats again!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Years ago there was a cartoon in the New Yorker showing an engaged couple at the Marriage License window at the local city hall. The man was looking at the woman and asked "Got your dollar?"

If your wedding will be in Santo Domingo some hotels offer wedding packages. I think the Hotel Santo Domingo is a particularly nice setting and guests can just walk in without haveing to pay a day pass.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If her family cooks and caters and you buy/bring the booze, get a relative to do the photography and bring the local Jues you can do a $2,000 USD wedding that is not bad. Kill a pig, etc. It would be just like a 24 de Diciembre dinner. Just find a house with a backyard big enough.

shy123

Jan 15, 2011
thank you I just wanted to know what kind of wedding you would get for 2,000 usd. Obviously i'm still saving and so is my fiance and father so its going to be more than that. thank you for your help

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I understand the attraction for a big fairy tale wedding, BUT if I were you, I would do a small wedding and save your money a down payment for a house/apartment.

You could always do the BIG thing when you renew your vows a couple years later down the road (i.e. when you are both more financially secure).

Good luck !

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I understand the attraction for a big fairy tale wedding, BUT if I were you, I would do a small wedding and save your money a down payment for a house/apartment.

You could always do the BIG thing when you renew your vows a couple years later down the road (i.e. when you are both more financially secure).

Good luck !

Every girl dreams of THE wedding. When our daughter was getting married six years ago, we gave her the option of the big wedding or a smaller wedding - and we would give them the extra cash we would have spent on a big one. She took the big wedding.

What they received in gifts wasn't even close to what we spent, less than half. I don't know about Dominicans in the DR, as far as gifts go, but let me tell you, the ones in the US are frugal, to put it mildly. One group of ten Dominican cousins came up from Maryland [to NJ] and gave a group gift of $100 total and some candles. Maybe frugal isn't the right word, maybe they never went to a big American wedding before and didn't know what to expect? Thank God for the Italians who were there, haha.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Everybody knows most girls dream of a big wedding. I wish the OP all the best.

I see the options as going with a resort planned wedding or renting out a local club and working with a local planner.

For my wedding in Moca we did the latter. It was 11 years ago and cost me a lot less than US2000. We didn't have alcohol out of respect for the wife's family but did have three pigs. :) It was a campo setting and was a good time for all nonetheless. I think we might have had around 150-200 people. The extended family pitched in with food and whatnot so my money went farther. We paid US200 I think for the photos(no videos) and the guy did a good job imo.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
We just had our wedding in April at Pierre Giorgios, La Puntilla in Sosua. 100 guests, decorations, flowers, cake, suit rentals, dresses, buffet dinner, alcohol, DJ, and "hora loca" for just under $5000. My wife is Dominican and she did all the bartering for the costs which probably saved us an extra few thousand.
The Waterfront hotel was a little less and the Marina at Ocean world was double.
We live in Punta Cana, her family is from Santo Domingo area and mine from Canada. Puerto Plata area was half price compared to the SE. Hotel packages can be cheaper but then your guests have to pay for day passes to go, not so bad if you have fewer guests but with 100 or more it wasn't worth it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Everybody knows most girls dream of a big wedding. I wish the OP all the best.

With all due respect to you and AE:Not at all. Some do, some don't. I have a lot of friends who just cave in to parents pressure, it was the parent who wanted a big wedding for their daughter. For the OP, it might even be the fact that she is from Nueva York (NY=money :) ).

Again, it is ingrain in them since childhood, that they are supposed to want a big wedding, of course they will want one. Nothing wrong with that, I was just offering an alternative point of view (since money seems to be an issue).

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Below is a list from one of the resorts in the Punta Cana area, the actual wedding cost without the extras ranges from $1,800.00 to $2,200.00 and this includes the Brides and Grooms basic flowers, NON-Private Dinner reception, one bottle of champagne at the ceremony, and judge.... There are upgrades that can be selected from at a cost of course for anything from flowers to room services.

If your guests are NOT staying at the resort you will require a day pass for them at a cost of $60.00US PP....

Photographer with CD of all photos taken for 4 hours is $850.00US Videographer is about the same price $850.00US

 PRICE LIST FOR EXTRA SERVICES 2012
WEDDING DAY:
 Musical trio: US$ 150. (45 min.)
 Horse & carriage US$ 150
 Bride`s and Groom wedding clothes steamed (with 1 day notice)
 Strawberries covered with chocolate
 We prepare your Jacuzzi with flowers, candles and the type of aroma you prefer. Imagine
you and your beloved watching the sunset... An unforgetable moment! US$ 45. PRIVATE RECEPTION:
- Rent of the restaurant - exclusivity/apply only for el Bohio restaurant or La Uva, based on availability, will be reconfirm upon arrival, places and prices subject to change. : US$ 1.000 (from 6:30pm until 12:00 midnight)
- Open bar: US$ 12 per person during 3 hours,
- DJ: US$ 300 during 3 hours
- Live Music US$ 700 during 3 Hours)
- Apply for groups with more than 40 guests.
PRIVATE BEACH PARTY EXTRA SERVICES
- Open bar: US$ 12 per person during 3 hours,
- ** Based on availability, prices subject to change. - will be reconfirm upon arrival
- Apply for groups with more than 20 guests.
PRIVATE DINNER ON THE BEACH EXTRA SERVICES
- Dinner on the beach:
- Price per person: US$ 60
- Open bar: US$ 12 per person during 3 hours.
- Apply for groups with more than 20 guests.
- ** Based on availability, prices subject to change - will be reconfirm upon arrival
- About the menu, please contact your wedding coordinator for more information.
FLOWERS
 Bridesmaids Bouquet –US$ 40
 Centerpiece flower --- US$ 70
 Extra boutonniere --- US$ 10
 Corsages – US$ 35
 Flower for your Hair --- US$10
AMENITIES
 Strawberries with chocolate --- 25 US$ (12 pzs).
 Fruit Basket --- 25 US$
 Mo?t Chandon 750 ml --- 10,700.00 RD$
 Mo?t Chandon 375 ml --- 3000.00 RD$
 Freixenet, Carta Nevada--- 750 RD$
DAY OR NIGHT PASS FOR GUESTS STAYING IN OTHER RESORT
 From 9.00 to 6.00 pm (Day pass) --- 60 US$ Adults / 30 US$ Child (between 5 and 12 years old)
 From 6.00 pm to 2:00 am (Night pass) --- 60 US$ Adults / 30 US$ Child (between 5 and 12 years old)
PHOTOGRAPHER/VIDEOGRAPHER (To be consulted directly with the wedding coordinator) BEAUTY TREATMENTS Is an external company located in our resort, for more information you can visit Www. renovaspa.com Please note that all pricing is subject to change until final payment is received.

~Best of Luck to you both

Status
Not open for further replies.