Auto Insurance

Dillinjah519

Oct 4, 2011
Whats up? I'm a newbie on here, just wondering how auto-insurance works in the DR ? How much does it cost per month, or per year? I'm looking at something like a 2003 Range Rover. I'm Canadian and my insurance is around 400$ monthly. I really hope it is cheaper in the DR. Thank you.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have a 2002 Avalanche and I pay about $36,000RD a year. Do note that if you don't have a DR drivers lic. then your insurance may not pay on claims that you may make.

Bob K

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For just the basic coverage provided by law (Ley), you will pay about $100 US for a year. Maybe a little less for an older car. Full Insurance would be a ton more.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
That was in pesos and translates to about $940 USD a year. I also pay it off quarterly.

Bob K

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
We pay about $150 U.S for $300,000 for annual liability coverage (US numbers) You really cannot get more than that but it is adequate for the DR. and I don't think collision is even available, . you'll see why when you drive there. That is pretty standard.
You will find the cost of cars is quite expensive in the DR. Moca is the place to shop for a car, . 30 minutes east of Santiago. An SUV, with Independent suspension and 6 cyl. or more is minimum. Good luck, . you'll love it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jorgesarduysousa
definitely cheaper, looking at +-$200.00 month; full coverage

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Just for clarification. Is that pesos or dollars? I cannot imagine anyone paying that amount in dollars any where unless they are a teen ager with 4 DUIs
Backing up, It doesn't say RD here at all. And this works out to about Five and a quarter USD. So once more time, would this be pesos or greenbacks?
Thanks
Der Fish

you see that $ sign. And you are/were a teacher.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I see $ signs quite often when people mean Pesos Dominicanos.
OK back to my original comment. I cannot imagine anyone anywhere paying $200.00 USD a month for insurance for one car and then thinking it is cheaper than elsewhere. We pay $120.00 a month for full coverage on 3 cars and that is with 2 drivers.

I pay $900 dollars per year for a 2007 Toyota RAV4. I have a clean driving record and no accidents (ever), but I live in a high accident area with the 401 freeway 2 miles away.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I pay $900 dollars per year for a 2007 Toyota RAV4. I have a clean driving record and no accidents (ever), but I live in a high accident area with the 401 freeway 2 miles away.

Bob, a clean driving record, no accidents, and a high accident area, are underwriting niceties which i do not think apply in the DR insurance universe. i think that all they want to know is the year of the car, and how many cylinders. they care not a whit if you have had 7 DUIs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Quite true. The kicker comes when you try to get a claim paid, which is long after you've paid the premium.

that is because there are no clearly laid out rules on claim settlement, and no regional insurance departments to enforce them. i remember a case in which a company i worked for delayed a bodily injury payment to a guy who was crippled in a roadside accident on the Florida Turnpike. his attorneys filed a bad faith action against us, and we lost. the fine was 6.2 million, plus the policy limit, which was half a million . that could never happen here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la colonial, 2003 highlander, just a bit above 30k pesos a year, full insurance.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Insurance poser

Maybe someone can confirm if this is the correct actions. My car (which is insured by La Colonial Full Coverage at 54k per year), parked responsibly in main carraigeway, pointing in the traffic flow direction. A guagua reverses from a side road, strikes my vehicle, off we go to report the accident as I insisted that we do the repairs through the dealer and insurance. (The sindicato secretary offered to get the repairs done " on the street"......
Police report / Amet report completed and driver of the bus accepts full responsibility. So I get a note of his insurance company from the AMET report, and head into town next day to my insurance company. They were very helpful, but explained that even although I'm not at fault for the accident, they will pay the repairs less the deductable (15k) which I need to get from the other persons insurance.

The lady who owns the guagua confirms that she has contacted her insurance company, but when I visit there officer in Ave Pastuer, they know nothing about it, but again very helpful, they say they will contact their customer and have the balance check available for me this week....all very helpfull indeed, however,
1) La Colonial confirm my policy premium will increase next time because of the accident
2) The other parties insurance are it would appear only responsible for excess ????part of the claim
3) The other partiy insurers will not cover a loan car for the week off road in garage bodyshop
4) All my expenses to date a) 500 pesos for Amet report, b) trip to SD to my insurers, C) trip to other insurers,D) trip to SD loss adjusters on 27 Feb. So to date I am approx 5k out of pocket which it would seem with no chance of recovery, and looking like being stuffed next year on my annual payments.

Surely this cannot be correct when I have the driver admitting full liability, the other party to the claim, sits back watching TV or someother pastime while I am running all over the shop trying to do what is needed to get my repairs done >>>>>>>>:mad:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
.......The sindicato secretary offered to get the repairs done " on the street"......

that generous offer is usually the way to go, or fix it yourself without claiming.
it's different to what most here are used to, but that's the way it is.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
that generous offer is usually the way to go, or fix it yourself without claiming.
it's different to what most here are used to, but that's the way it is.

I accept what you say, but too keep the warranty on corrosion, I need to get the repairs done by the authorized dealer.

Dillinjah519

Oct 4, 2011
Thank you all very much for your replies. Even though there were very mixed answers, im going to assume it will be around 30,000-50,000 DR per year for full coverage ??? or am I wrong?

Thanks.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, As far as I know with the experience of owning two cars for six years you are correct about the estimated price. It is my opinion that if you go to the source and avoid an agent you will save money and get better service. Also if you read the options well you can save a lot of money by choosing a custom policy that fits your needs. I am not a mechanic but I think that Range Rovers are grossly overestimated as a vehicle that will last. There are real sharp people here on the board who can advise you as to the best choice. I have had excellent service from a Suzuki Nomade Escudo (basically a Vitara with diesel) andf a Toyota RAV4. Both verified as me being the second owner.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Maybe someone can confirm if this is the correct actions. My car (which is insured by La Colonial Full Coverage at 54k per year), parked responsibly in main carraigeway, pointing in the traffic flow direction. A guagua reverses from a side road, strikes my vehicle, off we go to report the accident as I insisted that we do the repairs through the dealer and insurance. (The sindicato secretary offered to get the repairs done " on the street"......
Police report / Amet report completed and driver of the bus accepts full responsibility. So I get a note of his insurance company from the AMET report, and head into town next day to my insurance company. They were very helpful, but explained that even although I'm not at fault for the accident, they will pay the repairs less the deductable (15k) which I need to get from the other persons insurance.

The lady who owns the guagua confirms that she has contacted her insurance company, but when I visit there officer in Ave Pastuer, they know nothing about it, but again very helpful, they say they will contact their customer and have the balance check available for me this week....all very helpfull indeed, however,
1) La Colonial confirm my policy premium will increase next time because of the accident
2) The other parties insurance are it would appear only responsible for excess ????part of the claim
3) The other partiy insurers will not cover a loan car for the week off road in garage bodyshop
4) All my expenses to date a) 500 pesos for Amet report, b) trip to SD to my insurers, C) trip to other insurers,D) trip to SD loss adjusters on 27 Feb. So to date I am approx 5k out of pocket which it would seem with no chance of recovery, and looking like being stuffed next year on my annual payments.

Surely this cannot be correct when I have the driver admitting full liability, the other party to the claim, sits back watching TV or someother pastime while I am running all over the shop trying to do what is needed to get my repairs done >>>>>>>>:mad:

well, your outcomes are based on the fact that insurance in the DR is in the 19th century, and has nothing whatsoever to do with modern thinking.

your deductible should be recovered by your carrier. your company should sue the other party for the entire amount of the damage occasioned, and return the deductible portion to you

your premiums should not increase, because it is a not at fault accident, and has no bearing on underwriting criteria.

any out of pocket expenses, such as a rental, should be borne by the third party carrier.

that is the way it works in up to date insurance universes. the DR...well, that is a different story.